Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if we hired Dell?

1. Default What if we hired Dell?

Have you ever thought to yourself: "What if we had hired Dell McGee and rode the momentum of that bowl game win?"

Dell has experience as a HC (granted it was in HS) as he turned a Carver program in the dumpsters into a perennial powerhouse. Not to mention he's a phenomenal recruiter and players love him.

My estimation is Dell would have kept the Fritz zone read offense in place and we would still being experiencing great success. Instead we made a hire based on Summers southern drawl, and affection he showed for the GSU program.

Considering our athletic program ran a 30 million surplus, we need to buyout Summers contract immediately. Monken has proved the right HC can come in and turn around things quickly.

Mike Houston is at the top of my wishlist.

Default Re: What if we hired Dell?

We did not have a $30 million surplus. We had a slight surplus on a $30 million budget. However, let's borrow money, if need be, to get this ship corrected.

And, no, to Dell.

I have a ton of respect for Dell, the same kind I have for Chad Lunsford. But you are rolling the dice big time hiring McGee to replace Fritz.

Fritz was the architect of that offense. Even hiring Doug Ruse would have been somewhat risky as he had never really ran that offense at his other OC stops.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

What if Summers had followed Monken instead of Fritz?

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    What if Summers had followed Monken instead of Fritz?
    You think we have a flex vs shotgun argument now?

Good Lord.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

I would have been happy with Dell. Fritz publicly stated he felt he was ready; I don't think he would have changed his title and said that without sincerely believing it. He was definitely less of a gamble than our current head coach because he was working under a very experienced group while Summers was a first time coordinator for a first time head coach. I do wonder if we've blown our chance to have Dell come here, as all we can sweeten the pot with is the head title.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaxwellgsu View Post
    I would have been happy with Dell. Fritz publicly stated he felt he was ready; I don't think he would have changed his title and said that without sincerely believing it. He was definitely less of a gamble than our current head coach because he was working under a very experienced group while Summers was a first time coordinator for a first time head coach. I do wonder if we've blown our chance to have Dell come here, as all we can sweeten the pot with is the head title.
    Another year or two and Dell will be making the minimums of our HC hire money already. I think Dell is the version of Rush Probst without the shadiness and baggage that goes along with it. He's seen how to successfully run a program at least once and likely twice now at UGA. His future is really bright and he really has no reason to come back to GS now...that ship hopefully has sailed.

Actually, CTS was a 4-year D.C.

Dell makes more base salary than CTS already. He doesn't have the $50k per quarter extra deal.

It's funny the moaning and groaning that went on due to our OC's lack of big time college experience last year, but somehow a lot of people would have been happy with a very inexperienced Dell.

A lot of this is just our unhappy fanbase playing "what if" to take their minds off of "what is"... I believe that unless Summers is able to make a dramatic turn-around, he'll be let go after the season ends and Kleinlein will get another chance to make a better hire. But I don't think McGee will come back. He likely has bigger opportunities in his future. If Houston continues to succeed at JMU, he may get a better job as well. Chadwell's ship has sailed, because I think he's going to end up getting the "interim" title dropped and become CCU's head coach. The timing of our momentum-killing implosion couldn't have been worse, and it may realistically take years to recover, if we ever do.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Actually, CTS was a 4-year D.C.

Dell makes more base salary than CTS already. He doesn't have the $50k per quarter extra deal.

It's funny the moaning and groaning that went on due to our OC's lack of big time college experience last year, but somehow a lot of people would have been happy with a very inexperienced Dell.
    Dell's experience came directly from GS. He had seen how it was supposed to be done and how to appease the masses. Plus, people are talking about Dell as HC and not OC. If we were changing offenses completely, I personally would have been okay with the David Dean hire as HC or OC. Contrary to whatever crap they were trying to run last year, CDDs actual playbook isn't bad. He has the experience for both. I've had a big problem with Gillespie since 08 for various reasons and cringed when he was rehired.