Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What if we hired Dell?

Default Re: What if we hired Dell?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTeacher View Post
    A lot of this is just our unhappy fanbase playing "what if" to take their minds off of "what is"... I believe that unless Summers is able to make a dramatic turn-around, he'll be let go after the season ends and Kleinlein will get another chance to make a better hire. But I don't think McGee will come back. He likely has bigger opportunities in his future. If Houston continues to succeed at JMU, he may get a better job as well. Chadwell's ship has sailed, because I think he's going to end up getting the "interim" title dropped and become CCU's head coach. The timing of our momentum-killing implosion couldn't have been worse, and it may realistically take years to recover, if we ever do.
    Agreed on all parts of this.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    Plus, people are talking about Dell as HC and not OC.
    I understand that and that's what makes it even more baffling. Why would we want a guy that's never even put together a college game plan or called plays to be a HC?

There's no way to know how successful McGee would or wouldn't have been because we have no clue what his staff would have looked like. And that's what's going to ultimately decide a head coach like himself who isn't tied to one side of the ball. And that's probably the biggest knock on him right now is how many connections does he have.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

4. Default Re: What if we hired Dell?

I don't think Dell will come back. I thought we should have hired him after that game and the players made a push for him too. Dell, and Doug Ruse, did a pretty darn good job of running that O against Bowling Green. We played inspired football in that game and haven't seen it since... Promote Alex Atkins and keep him on staff as OL/OC. Whole Summers decision is just a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    There's no way to know how successful McGee would or wouldn't have been because we have no clue what his staff would have looked like. And that's what's going to ultimately decide a head coach like himself who isn't tied to one side of the ball. And that's probably the biggest knock on him right now is how many connections does he have.
    Yes, that is a biggie, and might very well be what Summers' fatal flaw is as a head coach.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I wondered the same thing about Mike Houston as that was my biggest negative about him back during our coaching search. His staff at Citadel was nothing but D2/HS guys, and many had been with him since Lenoir Rhyne.

For his staff at JMU, he got a guy who had been at ECU for his OC, a guy from Richmond as his DC (who had been at multiple D1 institutions), and the OL coach had been at VT for 11 years ( a lot of that as OC). They are by far the best offense in FCS right now and are likely to be one of the best, if not THE best, defenses this year.

Nothing in any of what I saw on his staff at Citadel looked like that. Maybe McGee knows a lot of guys out there too, and we just don't know about it yet.

Nothing about Fritz pointed to him being able to find McGee or Atkins when he got here either. These coaches likely just have networks that we have no idea about.
    2017 Official Brady Pocsik Gameday Kickoff Reminder

Arkansas State University

October 4, 2017 - 8PM EDT on ESPN2

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I wondered the same thing about Mike Houston as that was my biggest negative about him back during our coaching search. His staff at Citadel was nothing but D2/HS guys, and many had been with him since Lenoir Rhyne.

For his staff at JMU, he got a guy who had been at ECU for his OC, a guy from Richmond as his DC (who had been at multiple D1 institutions), and the OL coach had been at VT for 11 years ( a lot of that as OC). They are by far the best offense in FCS right now and are likely to be one of the best, if not THE best, defenses this year.

Nothing in any of what I saw on his staff at Citadel looked like that. Maybe McGee knows a lot of guys out there too, and we just don't know about it yet.

Nothing about Fritz pointed to him being able to find McGee or Atkins when he got here either. These coaches likely just have networks that we have no idea about.

Yeah, I should have said "question" not "knock".
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Actually, CTS was a 4-year D.C.
    Actually, to be correct CTS was only a DC in 2014 at UCF and in 2015 at Colorado State. Also, I think he took over after the spring practice in 2014 at UCF as the DC left in March or April.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Actually, to be correct CTS was only a DC in 2014 at UCF and in 2015 at Colorado State. Also, I think he took over after the spring practice in 2014 at UCF as the DC left in March or April.
    You are correct. Not sure about timing, but 2014 was his first stint as DC.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletalon View Post
    I don't think Dell will come back. I thought we should have hired him after that game and the players made a push for him too. Dell, and Doug Ruse, did a pretty darn good job of running that O against Bowling Green. We played inspired football in that game and haven't seen it since... Promote Alex Atkins and keep him on staff as OL/OC. Whole Summers decision is just a mess.
    Sorry but no offense the players don't know what they are talking about, I'll leave it up to the professionals, not a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who vote on emotion. Don't forget Fritz's staff pretty much stayed the entire time to help us with the bowl game. So nothing had to be changed and I am guessing he was the only one, even if at the high school level, with head coaching experience. He got the interim gig for 1 game.

The same people who complain that Summers didn't have head coaching experience, are the same ones who want a coach 2 years removed from high school as our head coach.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"