SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What if we hired Dell?

Default Re: What if we hired Dell?

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Any coaching search right now starts with Mike Houston. Hopefully it would end there too, but if somebody else is able to snag him then we start looking at the Brent Thompson, Chadwell, Jasper, Bohannon, etc of the world.
    Not so sure we could get Houston now. Coming here might be a slower path to a P5 job than where is he now unless he's confident he can win right away. And can we offer him more money than JMU will? He'd probably be expensive.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Mitty View Post
    That's a great way of putting it.
    Yeah because Erk, PJ, Stowers (ok maybe not Stowers), Sewak, and Monken did so terribly for us. There are very good coordinators out there that deserve a chance. Don't get me wrong, I would put a higher emphasis on head coaching experience, but I would not leave someone off the list just because they don't have it. One or two years as a HC does not trump a significant resume as an OC or DC just because it said HC on their resume. Where were they HC, for how long, how much success did they have etc.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by eagletalon View Post
    I forgot that Hugh Freeze, Guz Malzahn, and Art Briles had such lengthy college coaching resumes..... Oh wait, they didn't and have had a ton of success. Briles and Freeze did before they were fired. Dell McGee played in the NFL too, but, I guess, that experience doesn't matter either. All the aforementioned guys were successful HS HC's as was Dell. My intuition tells me that if Dell were at the helm we'd still be having the same success we did under Fritz. It's all speculation, but we can all agree Summers is awful.
    OMG! Two of these unemployed guys are not who we want to compare to in any way.

The third will probably be unemployed by the end of this year.

Any coaching search right now starts with Mike Houston. Hopefully it would end there too, but if somebody else is able to snag him then we start looking at the Brent Thompson, Chadwell, Jasper, Bohannon, etc of the world.
    Houston won't make the jump untill some school offers him "Tulane Money", 1.2-1.3 million a year guaranteed. Nor should he, the guy is hot and as he keeps winning big at JMU, his worth will climb. Winning as a HC at every stop. I hope we wouldn't embarrass ourselves even more by making some punky 500-750,000 offer to a guy of his quality.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Yeah because Erk, PJ, Stowers (ok maybe not Stowers), Sewak, and Monken did so terribly for us. There are very good coordinators out there that deserve a chance. Don't get me wrong, I would put a higher emphasis on head coaching experience, but I would not leave someone off the list just because they don't have it. One or two years as a HC does not trump a significant resume as an OC or DC just because it said HC on their resume. Where were they HC, for how long, how much success did they have etc.
    I see what you're saying. But I think at this point we can all agree that HC experience SHOULD be priority #1 in our hires.

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    I see what you're saying. But I think at this point we can all agree that HC experience SHOULD be priority #1 in our hires.
    If you read enough of these threads and the facebook page, then you would know that the REAL #1 priority should be that they have to have coached at GS before and they have to run only the Flex TO.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    If you read enough of these threads and the facebook page, then you would know that the REAL #1 priority should be that they have to have coached at GS before and they have to run only the Flex TO.
    Sounds okay. throwing in some HC experience and its a home run. there.

8. Default Re: What if we hired Dell?

Brian Bohannon. Perfect fit probably available and affordable.

I was being facetious. I don't care what offense they run as long as they WIN!

I would put Chadwell up there with Houston. Younger, offensive side of the ball and resume as HC is similar. Chadwell got CSU to be a FCS national team the to me is on par with taking a JMU with its resources and support to a NC something they already had accomplished. Every coach that JMU has had a winning record. I would be happy with either for sure. For Houston I think the upside is he has a complete staff where Chadwell would have to put one together.

Like Bohannon I need to see a real resume as a HC for Brent Thompson. Both are doing well so far but very small sample size with no real accomplishments or list of quality wins. Neither has got a win in the playoffs either. Being HC is whole different ball game than being an OC or DC as our current HC is clearly demonstrating.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

you missed JDC's point.