SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: When did you start following the program?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Since the beggining

43 32.33%
  • Eark's DI years (1984-1989)

29 21.80%
  • Post-Erk & Early SoCon days (1990-1996)

6 4.51%
  • Paul Johnson Years (1997-2001)

23 17.29%
  • Mike Sewak Years (2002-2005)

15 11.28%
  • BVG and Chris Hatcher (2006-2009)

11 8.27%
  • Jeff Monken Years (2010-2013)

4 3.01%
  • FBS Era (2014-present)

1 0.75%
  • Don't follow football, only other Eagle sports

1 0.75%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: When did you start following the football program?

Default Re: When did you start following the football program?

Thank god my father raised me on Georgia Southern Football! I saw Erk go 15-0, I believe I was 6.
    Go Eagles!!

Being a Statesboro native. I was there in the beginning. Womack field games, I lived down the street from Erk, my buddies and I would cut his grass. I was in school from 86-91 so the glory years. Awesome times!

First game I remember is the 1989 championship game sitting on my dad's shoulders in Sec K. I was 5 years old... my first memory was being allowed to honk the horn on the car while the busses drove through the parking lot. Good times

4. Default Re: When did you start following the football program?

1986 at age 8

Born in the boro in 90. First memories are wearing me Greg hill jersey and watching the eagles. First football memories anyway. Really got involved when I joined the eq staff in 2009. Didn't leave till after the bowl win

I knew of Georgia Southern College (at that point) when I was in high school, but I watched the 1986 National Championship game on TV, and fell in love with that offense. I applied to and was accepted at a bunch of colleges, but I picked Southern and was a freshman in the fall of 1989. My first game was the Hugo Bowl and since that night, standing in the stands getting drenched with sideways rain, I became an Eagle. That year was a special one, 15-0 and a National Championship win at home and the College World Series trip. I thought that was how every season was supposed to be.
    I was a sportswriter with, and the sports editor of the G-A when I was on campus so when I was in school I probably saw more games of all sports than just about anyone except Nate. I met and talked with Erk many times over those years and learned a lot from how he carried himself. I also got cussed out on the radio by Tim Stowers after the loss to West Georgia. I have no ill will toward Tim though, because he called me later and said he was sorry, and it takes a man to do that.
    I became friends with Nate, even helped him out a few times on the radio over the years, and seeing him doing his job, but still being a fan was good for me because it proved to me I could do both as well.
    I no longer cover games regularly, I do occasionally take pics for some papers, but I am still a fan of the Eagles and always will be.

Moved to Statesboro as a teen in 05 from NY. Paid 0 attention to GS football until App beat Michigan. enrolled @ GS in 2010.

I watched the First National Championship game when we beat Furman. However, I really started following the Eagles in 1988. when we lost to Furman. In fall of 1989 I left DeKalb College and entered GSU.
    CLASS OF '92
    B.S. Criminal Justice

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    So, right after the best days of your life?

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

My Grandmother and her ancestors had roots in Bulloch County and the Boro for centuries. As a kid (mid 80's through early 90's) I remember her talking about Georgia Southern Football. I didn't know much about the program until I decided to attend the University in 1999 and graduate years later. The AP and Paul Johnson years was a special time to be part of Eagle Nation! My love for the University has grown even more as I moved back home to NJ. I wear my Southern gear with pride and love telling everyone I encounter about the University and their strong winning traditions. I'll be honest, I haven't had anything positive to say to others about Southern's football program since Summers became HC. I HOPE a move can be made sooner than later to bring back those traditions with a strong leader in place!!!!