SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 0-5 GS @ 0-7 Umass

Default Re: 0-5 GS @ 0-7 Umass

Quote Originally Posted by Buskirk1414 View Post
    Yeah it's remarkably bad. In fact i've never seen a collection of teams in a conference consistently inhale vigorously like the belt this year. I swear every team looks exactly the same in terms of schemes, personnel, etc., I hate to be "that guy" but I guarantee that if you install our old tried and true under center TO and run it with precision like we used to we would rule this conference. I think the biggest problem with all these teams is that they're trying to make a Ferrari out of a Pinto i.e. spread offenses, etc., with REALLY sloppy and undisciplined players. If we ran our bread and butter with a coach that knew what the hell he was doing......
    I really like what Fritz did and wish what we’re trying to do would work. I hate to say it, but I completely agree. I think a decent coach running PJ’s offense would net us no less than 7 wins per year with our OOC and this terrible conference.

2. Default Re: 0-5 GS @ 0-7 Umass

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Maybe he needs to learn how to practice?
    It's obvious after an 0-4 start, a lot of folks need to learn how to practice, notably our coaching staff. After two straight games of giving up huge plays and scores on defense, I question everyone on the D side especially Zo and Summers.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    It's obvious after an 0-4 start, a lot of folks need to learn how to practice, notably our coaching staff. After two straight games of giving up huge plays and scores on defense, I question everyone on the D side especially Zo and Summers.
    And the penalties. Watching ULM 2016 postgame I hear the exact same things as I hear now - cleaning up penalties, the offense isn't clicking, etc. It's over a year later with the exact same problems.

I mean I'm in the belief that the defense is actually getting worse as the season goes on (or as TS's career here goes on).

As time goes by with this staff what amazes me is the that they either won't or can't make adjustments on defense. Just about everyone we have played in the second half since TS has been here has been MUCH better in the second half against us. They seem to find a game plan and that is all we are going to do. I like some of the pressures they are showing, but you can't show the same blitz 7 times in a game, once or twice it will work, but after the second time if we get to the QB, then they are going to adjust.
    The other thing, and I know I harp on this a lot on here, but how our base defense is not a 4-2-5 at this point is just stubbornness on our coaches standpoint. I like the 4-3 too, but when everyone you play is 3 WR on almost every play, you have to match up.
    I go back to the Western Michigan game last year and Chris DelaRosa trying to cover Cory Davis in the slot. That can happen once in a game, everyone gets a mismatch once in a while, but they did it to us over and over, and nothing against Chris, but he is not going to cover a NFL WR over and over again and be successful.
    Every team we play runs the same play against us when they need a few yards. Run a slot guy in motion so that a LB has to bump out to cover him, and then either a quick 5 yard out or shake route back across the middle and it is money almost every time unless one of our LB's makes a great play. Now that is going to happen from time to time, but it happens to us every game since TS has been here, and at this point if I can see it you would think professionals would be able to figure it out.
    That and the wasting of talent last year still gnaws at me. We had two NFL LB's last year and even as bad as it was at times last year those two guys really covered up some of the issues we are seeing even more this year with younger guys playing.

I agree. It seems like we run a 4 -3 and stick with it for the whole game. Given the offenses that most Sun Belt teams run I would think we would be in a 4-2-5 most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    As time goes by with this staff what amazes me is the that they either won't or can't make adjustments on defense. Just about everyone we have played in the second half since TS has been here has been MUCH better in the second half against us. They seem to find a game plan and that is all we are going to do. I like some of the pressures they are showing, but you can't show the same blitz 7 times in a game, once or twice it will work, but after the second time if we get to the QB, then they are going to adjust.
    The other thing, and I know I harp on this a lot on here, but how our base defense is not a 4-2-5 at this point is just stubbornness on our coaches standpoint. I like the 4-3 too, but when everyone you play is 3 WR on almost every play, you have to match up.
    I go back to the Western Michigan game last year and Chris DelaRosa trying to cover Cory Davis in the slot. That can happen once in a game, everyone gets a mismatch once in a while, but they did it to us over and over, and nothing against Chris, but he is not going to cover a NFL WR over and over again and be successful.
    Every team we play runs the same play against us when they need a few yards. Run a slot guy in motion so that a LB has to bump out to cover him, and then either a quick 5 yard out or shake route back across the middle and it is money almost every time unless one of our LB's makes a great play. Now that is going to happen from time to time, but it happens to us every game since TS has been here, and at this point if I can see it you would think professionals would be able to figure it out.
    That and the wasting of talent last year still gnaws at me. We had two NFL LB's last year and even as bad as it was at times last year those two guys really covered up some of the issues we are seeing even more this year with younger guys playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    I agree. It seems like we run a 4 -3 and stick with it for the whole game. Given the offenses that most Sun Belt teams run I would think we would be in a 4-2-5 most of the time.

There's a lot of us that have been complaining about this since early last season. As Eaglereporter pointed out, Eligwe and Gallon were able to cover up a lot of problems with that "scheme". Having LB's play cornerback is absolutely stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

7. Default Re: 0-5 GS @ 0-7 Umass

As time goes by with this staff what amazes me is the that they either won't or can't make adjustments on defense. Just about everyone we have played in the second half since TS has been here has been MUCH better in the second half against us. They seem to find a game plan and that is all we are going to do...
    +1

I simply cannot agree with this anymore. I noticed it last year and the problem continues. We have consistently been the second best prepared team on the field... on defense and offense, pregame and mid-game.

This is what you get when a coach has no clue and is trying to figure it out still. He is paralyzed in fear of making change at this point. It worked at UCF for one year so lets stick with it.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

you missed JDC's point.

There's a lot of us that have been complaining about this since early last season. As Eaglereporter pointed out, Eligwe and Gallon were able to cover up a lot of problems with that "scheme". Having LB's play cornerback is absolutely stupid.
    We used nickel with #31 as the extra DB on virtually every play last Wednesday.

Despite the blown coverages, we played a lot faster with #34 and #33 as our LBs and with #31 the game. Plus, getting Bowdry back and shifting Murray to the other side improved our overall speed and athleticism.

I'm interested to see whether that was a one-off for ArkSt's offense, or whether we continue use that lineup often going forward. Almost anything we can do to run better on D will help.
    Last edited by pete4256; 13th October 2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I still hate our aggressive defensive style.

Appalachian State, Army, Western Michigan, and Georgia State were all statistically good defenses last year who were average at best in sacks and TFLs. State in particular was best in the conference in YPP and was the worst in sacks per game.

Unless you've got a roster with a Dakota Walker or a Corey Middlebrooks, I like being a little more conservative and using the defensive line to plus up holes in conjunction with linebackers like Antwione Williams and Ironhead Gallon.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.