Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power 500

Default Re: Power 500

& then pay the next HC how much?

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    & then pay the next HC how much?
    A good one, 1.2 for 5 years. A "flip a coin'er", 400,000 and incentives.(and keep your fingers crossed that we don't hire a flop)

3. Default Re: Power 500

Sign me up-as long as we can get rid of TK as well.

4. Default Re: Power 500

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    A good one, 1.2 for 5 years. A "flip a coin'er", 400,000 and incentives.(and keep your fingers crossed that we don't hire a flop)
    I wish we could bring Monken back...

Ahhh...the Great Buyout Myth is back. If the guy gets a job after he's fired, we only owe the difference.
    JW "Cliff" Williams

First GSC game 9/1/1984
    Recruiting Class 1987
    BS 1998
    M.Ed. 2015
    Statesboro. GA

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Ahhh...the Great Buyout Myth is back. If the guy gets a job after he's fired, we only owe the difference.
    It's only a myth if he chooses to get another job right away. Ask Sewak...
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    No, Tyson Summers is not on a one-year contract any more than Kirby Smart is.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

8. Default Re: Power 500

I'll never understand why you give an unproven coach a buyout. Heck, he should have been happy to even get a shot to coach one year! I mean, heck, he was inheriting probably more talent than we have ever had on one team.

In fact, the contract should have been the opposite - one year trial for half price and us having an option for years 2-4 for the salary he wound up getting (plus the buyout at that point). Show us something and we'll make you permanent. Why in the heck would we commit so heavily to a nobody? There's probably 50,000 coaches out there with about the same experience and promise as TS who would have done anything for a chance at this job, and a chance to prove they deserved it.

I mean, sure, if you're trying to lure a coach from another team or from a great assistant coaching job where he's making good money. But, just some random guy that was totally NOT going to get ANY other coaching position?

SMH at the stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    I'll never understand why you give an unproven coach a buyout. Heck, he should have been happy to even get a shot to coach one year! I mean, heck, he was inheriting probably more talent than we have ever had on one team.

In fact, the contract should have been the opposite - one year trial for half price and us having an option for years 2-4 for the salary he wound up getting (plus the buyout at that point). Show us something and we'll make you permanent. Why in the heck would we commit so heavily to a nobody? There's probably 50,000 coaches out there with about the same experience and promise as TS who would have done anything for a chance at this job, and a chance to prove they deserved it.

I mean, sure, if you're trying to lure a coach from another team or from a great assistant coaching job where he's making good money. But, just some random guy that was totally NOT going to get ANY other coaching position?

SMH at the stupidity.
    You don't give a coach ANYWHERE less than a 4 year contract at hiring.

Recruits will be fully informed by our opponents if our coach only has a 1 year deal. Good luck getting a kid to commit to a coach who doesn't have a deal in writing that he'll be there for the time he's an athlete on the team. That is ABSOLUTELY fodder to use against us in recruiting. It would be insanely stupid to do otherwise.

College sports doesn't work like the business world does when you hire a new CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post

SMH at the stupidity.
    Sure, because that's how the real world works...

You give them a buyout because what happens if they turn out to be a very good coach and leave in a couple years like Monken and Fritz just did. No one in their right mind is going to agree to a heavy buyout of they choose to leave, but zero buyout if you fire them. I also love how coaching at GS is such a privilege. Maybe they should be paying us to have the opportunity to coach here if that is the case.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive