SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415 LastLast

Thread: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    Not if Venables wanted to be a head coach. We matched what Erk was making plus one dollar. I guess cash strapped UGA couldn't compete with that huh?
    My point is....a start-up that only has a few thousand students and not a lot of money was able to match an SEC defensive coordinator salary. Today when some coordinators are making seven figures that's not happening. Times have changed.

No one is here is saying we shouldn't at least try to get Houston, we're just saying if programs like ECU or richer want him we won't be able to get him, and that has to do with the realities of college football in the '10s, not changing perspective of the program by the fans.

On another note....does anyone know how much money Everett Withers makes at Texas State? Texas State also poached a coach from JMU as I recall...
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    go back and read peachstealth's post. HC jobs don't come cheap and if I'm the AD I take Mike Houston over Lane Kiffin any day of the week, and I fork over 1 Mil. to start. Bohl a FCS HC, getting just under a mil. All I'm saying is times are changing. Heck, we got a guy in the SB making a mil.
    No, when you are proven FBS coach or P5 coordinator they dont. Bohl is the best coach in FCS since PJ and did not land a major job just a decent paycheck. His accomplishments at NDSU are rare. If Houston repeats the most prolific run in the history of the FCS than yes he is probably worth 900K.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

3. Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

Houston is probably on track to earn a sizable income with a quality team. GS may have lost its abilities to hire his services. Currently we aren't' even close to a quality team.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We matched what Erk was making at UGA. If we wanted today to hire, say, Brent Venables we wouldn't be able to do it because Dabo Swinny would up his pay out of our range if it's not already there.
    I think money had very little to do with Erk coming to Ga Southern. He wanted to see what he could build and thank goodness he did.

Quote Originally Posted by peachstealth View Post
    I think money had very little to do with Erk coming to Ga Southern. He wanted to see what he could build and thank goodness he did.
    Precisely. If only we could find another rare breed that actually wants to live in Statesboro.

6. Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

What do you guys think about Brent Thompson?
    Last edited by Buskirk1414; 30th September 2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: saw the discussion

7. Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

Quote Originally Posted by Buskirk1414 View Post
    What do you guys think about Brent Thompson?
    I'd have no problem with him. Would be happy in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    I'd have no problem with him. Would be happy in fact.
    Ecstatic
    "Losing is the most disgusting thing that you can experience...We feel we need to surround ourselves with people who feel that winning is the most important thing in the world. If you feel that way, and I do, and I think our players feel that way, then losing has got to be about the worst thing that can happen to you." Erk Russell

9. Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

I'm gonna watch some of that game on ESPN3 today. I haven't seen much of them but if he can win at The Citadel....that's pretty impressive.

10. Default Re: Time to throw the bank at Mike Houston...

Getting "Hatched" right now 21-0