SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overall health of the athletic department

Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

So we totally accept that pretty much all sports right now are mediocre or terrible? And that's OK?

And the scheduling...

Good for golf though! Rising up!
    Last edited by tapate50; 26th September 2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

2. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

I am sick of the scheduling - only five home games per year, 4 this year but can't blame TK for4 the hurricane(?). I also hate Tues., Wed., Thur. games. Really, who watches night games other than Saturday, Sunday. and NFL Monday? I think the Sun-Belt TV revenue will dry up when advertisers find the ratings are low. specially when we are playing.

The volleyball hire was awful. We used to be good to very good in volleyball. The guy TK has hired has the volleyball program getting worse year by year.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Just gives fuel to the anti TK crowd, even though historically we've been bad all all but 2 sports. Football and baseball. Basketball has been average over our history with a few good runs here and there.
    No love for the men's golf program?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    No love for the men's golf program?
    Not sure of our history pre Mays era and honestly forgot...another non revenue sport.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    The volleyball hire was awful. We used to be good to very good in volleyball. The guy TK has hired has the volleyball program getting worse year by year.
    The only time I can remember volleyball being good was when Chad Callihan was coach (who is now at Wyoming and had the program's best season record ever back in 2015). He might be the best coach we've had outside the big 3 sports.

The Volleyball Program's record coming into this season is 483-527. Dustin Wood's record is 60-66. That's about the same winning percentage, and since he's played 3 seasons in the Sun Belt which is significantly better than the SoCon I'll say he's done a so-so job.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

7. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    I am sick of the scheduling - only five home games per year, 4 this year but can't blame TK for4 the hurricane(?). I also hate Tues., Wed., Thur. games. Really, who watches night games other than Saturday, Sunday. and NFL Monday? I think the Sun-Belt TV revenue will dry up when advertisers find the ratings are low. specially when we are playing.
    I do not think ESPN or their advertisers are under the illusion that Sun Belt games are going to draw huge ratings when they negotiate the contracts . Midweek content is hard to come by, it is not like P5 conferences are going to want those day/time slots.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I do not think ESPN, or their advertisers, are under the illusion that Sun Belt games are going to draw huge ratings. Midweek content is hard to come by, it is not like P5 conferences are going to want those day/time slots.

I recall a slideshow from the coach's caravan 2 years ago, that around 120,000 on average watched our mid week game(s).
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

The midweek games are unfortunately a necessary evil, Group of 5 schools have to do it to get national TV, and ESPN needs us to fill those TV spots.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Not sure of our history pre Mays era and honestly forgot...another non revenue sport.
    We’ve always been good to very good and ocassoinally great. A perennial Top 50 team for many years and a few in the Top 25. Coach Mays has been an excellent hire and his staff do a fantastic job. The women’s program has to have some time as they only began playing in the last 3-4 year’s.

Carter Collins years = Very Good
    Larry Mays years = Very Good
    Drew Pittman years = Good
    Doug Gordon years = Excellent
    ?? Escapes Me here .....
    Buddy Alexander years = Excellent
    Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA