SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overall health of the athletic department

Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    I am sick of the scheduling - only five home games per year, 4 this year but can't blame TK for4 the hurricane(?). I also hate Tues., Wed., Thur. games. Really, who watches night games other than Saturday, Sunday. and NFL Monday? I think the Sun-Belt TV revenue will dry up when advertisers find the ratings are low. specially when we are playing.
    No nfl.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannahkid View Post
    I get that most could care less about the non revenue sports, but everything in any good organization filters down from the top. So in our case, from the AD and football program down. There has been move revenue raised and some decent facility improvements. Those are positives for TK. Hiring of coaches has been a mixed bag from very good to poor. On many levels I like TK and some I don't. But as more losses mount this fall in football the whole brand suffers.
    +1 A good AD cares about all sports and builds the entire brand/sports programs, which TK has not done. He has done some good things and plenty of bad things, but the most important thing is to keep the football program healthy (it's the face of GS) Every AD misses from time to time when hiring coaches, but it's the AD job to stop the bleeding, admit the mistake and move forward.
    (esp. when you make a wreckless hire) TK doubled down on TS after last season instead of admitting the mistake.
    Letting our football program become a dumpster fire is grounds for change, but when you throw in all the shady and borderline illegal stuff he has done, I just don't see how anyone still believes this guy should be the face of GS athletics.

When we were in the TAAC and the So Con we were actually good in non-rev sports.
    People forget because of how bad the women's basketball team has been of late, but they went to 2 straight NCAA Tournaments and got the honor of getting beat in the first round by the eventual champions when Dreama Greer was coach.
    Men's golf has always been a very good program despite some of the folks that have coached that sport.
    Women Soccer was very good in the So Con for a while but Debbie Hensley will do that, she was a very good athlete for the Lady Eagles in Soccer and softball.
    The Softball team was always one of the better So Con teams.
    Men's basketball really struggled after the Kerns and Baccus debacle, but they have always seemed to come up with a good season from time to time., Been much better of late.
    People forget that Scott Farmer was a very good swimming and diving coach for the Eagles before focusing more on the AD duties then leaving GS, mostly due to Sam Baker.
    Baseball has been good for years and some years even great.
    I covered the volleyball team for the school paper many times and never remember them being great, but they were at least competitive most matches.
    I can say a lot I do not like about the way TK is handling all the sports, but many of the mistakes were made by Baker. Baker fired some very good coaches for personal reasons and even made up a reason to fire one of the best coaches at the school.
    TK hit a home run with the hiring of Fritz, and then he hit into a triple-play with the hiring of Summers, but his other hires have been questionable as well.
    Football pays the bills at GS, we all know that, and that program, for better or worse is how this school is known in athletics.

4. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Update so far on our other sports outside football.

Men's soccer got to 10th in the region before falling, to who else, GagSt. Still, like the direction of the program under the new coach.

Volleyball is 6-11 and 2-4 in conference. Honestly, this program is regressing.

Women"s soccer has been up and down, but will finish better than last fall's DFL. Georgia is a great girl's soccer state and cannot figure out why we are so mediocre.

Men's golf off to a great start with a second place finish at Notre Dame tourney. This might be our best overall sport.

Women's golf is the opposite of the men's progran. 12th out of 15th in last tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannahkid View Post
    Update so far on our other sports outside football.

Men's soccer got to 10th in the region before falling, to who else, GagSt. Still, like the direction of the program under the new coach.

Volleyball is 6-11 and 2-4 in conference. Honestly, this program is regressing.

Women"s soccer has been up and down, but will finish better than last fall's DFL. Georgia is a great girl's soccer state and cannot figure out why we are so mediocre.

Men's golf off to a great start with a second place finish at Notre Dame tourney. This might be our best overall sport.

Women's golf is the opposite of the men's progran. 12th out of 15th in last tourney.
    I think our Athletic Dept has SARS.
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

Honest Question: Who do you guys see as the peer institution that we should aspire to emulate as far as non-revenue sports across the board?

I assume many will mention App State. Well, guess what? We finished ahead of App State in 9 of the 12 non-"running" sports in conference standings for 2016-2017 (all but football, women's soccer, and women's golf). I leave out the running sports because basically the same athletes are used in Cross Country, Indoor T&F, and Outdoor T&F.

I would also point out that we're one of only two Sun Belt teams with winning conference records in all of football, baseball, and basketball since we entered the Sun Belt (and will still be in football even if we go 0-8 in conference).
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

7. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Honest Question: Who do you guys see as the peer institution that we should aspire to emulate as far as non-revenue sports across the board?

I assume many will mention App State. Well, guess what? We finished ahead of App State in 9 of the 12 non-"running" sports in conference standings for 2016-2017 (all but football, women's soccer, and women's golf). I leave out the running sports because basically the same athletes are used in Cross Country, Indoor T&F, and Outdoor T&F.

I would also point out that we're one of only two Sun Belt teams with winning conference records in all of football, baseball, and basketball since we entered the Sun Belt (and will still be in football even if we go 0-8 in conference).
    GS should aspire to emulate no one. IMHO.

8. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

I say we should be trying to emulate Troy. They are, as far as sports and brand are concerned, the #3 in Alabama. They are a medium sized school in a small town. They are competitive in football and basketball and have been upgrading their facilities to be some of the best in the conference. We should be looking to model ourselves after them because we are actually the two most similar schools to each other in the entire conference.

9. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

That is a great question really. Last year we finished 291 out of 293 in the Leerfield standings. I understand we don't have a lot of sports and that hurts us some, but come on that is disappointing. Troy was 123, Jax St 143, Furman 98, App 161.

Georgia is a very good state for softball and women' soccer. Not so much in volleyball. Men's soccer and the tennis programs will always be heavy international. I have no idea about running or swimming.

I get that 95% only care here about one sport and I am fine with that. It would be nice for more than one team to make it to the NCAA tournament in a given year in our department overall.

When we look at our athletic department and try to measure how well it is performing we need to see how we compare to our competition. I think we should see how we stack up versus Sun Belt and Conference USA schools in all areas from APR, various sports championships, fund raising, etc.