SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Overall health of the athletic department

Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I say we should be trying to emulate Troy. They are, as far as sports and brand are concerned, the #3 in Alabama. They are a medium sized school in a small town. They are competitive in football and basketball and have been upgrading their facilities to be some of the best in the conference. We should be looking to model ourselves after them because we are actually the two most similar schools to each other in the entire conference.
    I don't want to be anyone else. I want to be Georgia Southern.

That said, we're quite different from Troy. Troy is a paper tiger with small main campus enrollment and a whole lot of satellite campuses and online offerings. Fittingly, their football stadium is made mostly out of cardboard.

We are much more similar to App, another main-campus regional university with a strong identity. Thankfully, our students smell much less strongly of a goat's business end.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Savannahkid View Post
    That is a great question really. Last year we finished 291 out of 293 in the Leerfield standings. I understand we don't have a lot of sports and that hurts us some, but come on that is disappointing. Troy was 123, Jax St 143, Furman 98, App 161.

Georgia is a very good state for softball and women' soccer. Not so much in volleyball. Men's soccer and the tennis programs will always be heavy international. I have no idea about running or swimming.

I get that 95% only care here about one sport and I am fine with that. It would be nice for more than one team to make it to the NCAA tournament in a given year in our department overall.
    Okay, so let's compare what we did against Troy

We did better than them in:
    Men's basketball (regular season)
    Baseball (regular season)
    Men's Golf
    Volleyball
    Softball

They finished higher in:
    Football
    Women's basketball
    Women's Golf
    Women's Soccer
    Men's and Women's Tennis

They don't play men's soccer.
    That does not look like complete domination to me.

Also, what kind of bonus do you get for winning conference championships? ULM had more Sun Belt championships last sports year than us, but would you trade their programs for ours?
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    we're quite different from Troy. Troy is a paper tiger with small main campus enrollment and a whole lot of satellite campuses and online offerings. Fittingly, their football stadium is made mostly out of cardboard.

We are much more similar to App, another main-campus regional university with a strong identity. Thankfully, our students smell much less strongly of a goat's business end.
    We have satellite campuses now toobin major population areas like Troy does. We also offer a lot of well-respected online degrees. Their football stadium is larger and nicer than Paulson and they are about to complete an endzone facilities that will knock ours out as best in the conference. We are not a regional university anymore. We are listed as a national university. Both App and Troy are listed as regional universities in the south.

We have satellite campuses now toobin major population areas like Troy does. We also offer a lot of well-respected online degrees. Their football stadium is larger and nicer than Paulson and they are about to complete an endzone facilities that will knock ours out as best in the conference. We are not a regional university anymore. We are listed as a national university. Both App and Troy are listed as regional universities in the south.
    Troy has 7-8K students at its main campus and around 20K overall. That's nothing like the Statesboro-centered university that is Georgia Southern (though Armstrong will change that to some extent).

I never said anything about Troy's online programs being well-respected. Basically, what I'm saying is that Troy used the '90s version (satellite campuses) of what Liberty University uses in the 2010s (online programs) to expand its enrollment and commerce.

And GS is a national university? According to the Carnegie rating? According to the USG, it's a "comprehensive university," which puts it in the same group as UWG, KSU, and VSU.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

5. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

Troy has 7-8K students at its main campus and around 20K overall. That's nothing like the Statesboro-centered university that is Georgia Southern (though Armstrong will change that to some extent).

I never said anything about Troy's online programs being well-respected. Basically, what I'm saying is that Troy used the '90s version (satellite campuses) of what Liberty University uses in the 2010s (online programs) to expand its enrollment and commerce.

And GS is a national university? According to the Carnegie rating? According to the USG, it's a "comprehensive university," which puts it in the same group as UWG, KSU, and VSU.
    According to US News and World Report, we are a national university. Being research or comprehensive has nothing to do with that although we are a Carnegie research school and listed as a comprehensive school by the USG.

According to US News and World Report, we are a national university. Being research or comprehensive has nothing to do with that although we are a Carnegie research school and listed as a comprehensive school by the USG.
    Getting bumped up by the US News and World Report is an important step.

It's another sign of how the USG has drawn an arbitrary line between research and comprehensive and has worked hard to keep us under it.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

7. Default Re: Overall health of the athletic department

My education was fairly comprehensive at Georgia Southern. And I was comprehensively a pain in the rear to my profs and the admin during my time there. But I digress.
    Besides, pete, I don't think Troy's stadium is made out of cardboard. Gets wet, collapses under the force of the more weightily-inclined Alabama populace.
    Now paper-mache ... that should be better.

No, I don't want to be Troy (a girl used to know named her dog that. She and I aren't speaking anymore. But again, I digress ... even if I still know her secret that her husband doesn't know). And Lord knows I don't want us to be ECU, or as my friends who went there called it, EZU.
    I wonder if South Florida would be a good measuring stick. Wouldn't mind having their football success right now, even though it has fluctuated over the years. But when they've been good, they've been very good. Pete, any idea on how solidly their academic programs are considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    My education was fairly comprehensive at Georgia Southern. And I was comprehensively a pain in the rear to my profs and the admin during my time there. But I digress.
    Besides, pete, I don't think Troy's stadium is made out of cardboard. Gets wet, collapses under the force of the more weightily-inclined Alabama populace.
    Now paper-mache ... that should be better.

No, I don't want to be Troy (a girl used to know named her dog that. She and I aren't speaking anymore. But again, I digress ... even if I still know her secret that her husband doesn't know). And Lord knows I don't want us to be ECU, or as my friends who went there called it, EZU.
    I wonder if South Florida would be a good measuring stick. Wouldn't mind having their football success right now, even though it has fluctuated over the years. But when they've been good, they've been very good. Pete, any idea on how solidly their academic programs are considered?
    Like I said, I want us to be Georgia Southern. If we have to emulate anybody, I'd emphatically rather it not be Troy.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Troy serves a different niche in higher education than Georgia Southern. Troy's branch campus were started to serve the higher education needs of people in the military over 40 years ago. Montgomery (Maxwell Air Force Base) Columbus/Phenix City (Fort Benning) and Dothan (Fort Rucker). Troy set up a system that even if they were transferred anywhere else in the world higher education needs could be met by Troy. This system was in place well before the internet.
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"
    Valley, Alabama
    Fan of Erk since the 70's, Eagle Scout 1978, Georgia Southern Fan since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyBoy View Post
    Troy serves a different niche in higher education than Georgia Southern. Troy's branch campus were started to serve the higher education needs of people in the military over 40 years ago. Montgomery (Maxwell Air Force Base) Columbus/Phenix City (Fort Benning) and Dothan (Fort Rucker). Troy set up a system that even if they were transferred anywhere else in the world higher education needs could be met by Troy. This system was in place well before the internet.
    That's what I said. They used the satellite campus model to expand their enrollment in the '80-90s. That's not a pejorative statement.

They are kind of like a cross between VSU and St. Leo, which is different from GS.

If there's any "niche" that's similar to ours, it's the USM niche in Mississippi or the ECU niche in North Carolina (sorry, Reuben).

If the USG had any sense, we'd be more like USM or Marshall, both of which are more on Georgia State's level as far as research institutions go (I think, anyway . . . not sure about this one).

Maybe the Armstrong merger positions us for that next step.
    Last edited by pete4256; 11th October 2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown