SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark St game thread

Default Re: Ark St game thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes, yet another sign of a team with a coaching and not a talent problem as some like to suggest for some reason. Also, the bad pursuit angles, too.
    Some skill positions we have talent, other positions we just don't match up.

Quote Originally Posted by cmaxwellgsu View Post
    The timeouts take the cake for stupidity from Summers. Our offense finally showed some life, and our QB showed a ton of improvement tonight. Why on earth would you risk hurting him by pulling that stunt and having him throwing it? Just to say we were close but running out of time?
    What is silly about the end of the game is if you're going to do that, why didn't you throw the ball and try to at least get into field goal range before half? You just ran out the clock. Strange.

3. Default Re: Ark St game thread

We're allowing nearly 40 points a game and I don't ever remember a GS defense getting burned so often by big plays on blown assignments. Everybody has been on the offense, but this is not a very good defense. Once again, we surrender 21 points in a three-minute span to end the first half and start the second. What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    We're allowing nearly 40 points a game and I don't ever remember a GS defense getting burned so often by big plays on blown assignments. Everybody has been on the offense, but this is not a very good defense. Once again, we surrender 21 points in a three-minute span to end the first half and start the second. What's up?
    +1, I said before the season started I was/am concerned about our defense, can't be giving up 40 a game and win much.

5. Default Re: Ark St game thread

Last night was the first GS game I've seen this season. I was surprised the secondary seemed to miss so many assignments. Or was it that stAte WR's were just good at getting separation? It looked more like the former to me.

I'm looking forward to the old GS returning soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AppFan82 View Post
    Last night was the first GS game I've seen this season. I was surprised the secondary seemed to miss so many assignments. Or was it that stAte WR's were just good at getting separation? It looked more like the former to me.

I'm looking forward to the old GS returning soon.
    missed assignments AppFan. But I'll tell you what, play those DB's man to man, they are good but as soon as they go into Zone coverage it's like an episode of Abbott and Costello "who's on first". Last night wasn't the first time it's happened this season. If I'm coaching, no more zone, lock'em up boys, get in their face man-on-man.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    As unimpressed with Arkansas State as I was - and I didn't think they were very good - they turned the ball over five times and still won by 18. And that pretty much sums up the state of Georgia Southern football right now. Get 5 turnovers. Lose by 18. At home. To a very lackluster conference opponent.
    And for the life of me, I can find no good reason for Summers to call timeout when ASU is simply trying to end the game. All his timeout did was give the opportunity for someone to get hurt. I was hoping ASU would throw deep after that timeout. At least their DB took a knee after that INT. That's class in action, Summers. What he did by calling that timeout was not. I don't want to hear "compete to the horn." Bullcrap. You're getting your tail kicked. There is no chance of winning this. Get out of there and avoid getting one of your players or one of their players needlessly hurt. Paul Johnson is the most competitive SOB I know and he wouldn't have called a timeout.
    I'm just glad that embarrassment of a game is over.
    Jeff Monken DID do that against someone, I believe Savannah State.

We continue to not be able to handle teams that employ tempo, especially those that aren't afraid to throw downfield.

stAte stacked those trips after good gains where they rushed to the line and caught us out of position. The first time they crossed the two outside WRs and the one that got the TD was just lost in transition. The second time, our DBs tracked with the WRs off the snap, but then the out route got doubled and a WR was WIDE open in the middle of the field.

For the first time it seemed like we had a good scheme to start the game on defense. We really haven't had that in a long time, if ever, under Summers. After halftime though.....it's like we forgot that the other team could make adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    As unimpressed with Arkansas State as I was - and I didn't think they were very good - they turned the ball over five times and still won by 18. And that pretty much sums up the state of Georgia Southern football right now. Get 5 turnovers. Lose by 18. At home. To a very lackluster conference opponent.
    And for the life of me, I can find no good reason for Summers to call timeout when ASU is simply trying to end the game. All his timeout did was give the opportunity for someone to get hurt. I was hoping ASU would throw deep after that timeout. At least their DB took a knee after that INT. That's class in action, Summers. What he did by calling that timeout was not. I don't want to hear "compete to the horn." Bullcrap. You're getting your tail kicked. There is no chance of winning this. Get out of there and avoid getting one of your players or one of their players needlessly hurt. Paul Johnson is the most competitive SOB I know and he wouldn't have called a timeout.
    I'm just glad that embarrassment of a game is over.
    Conceptually, I don't disagree with the timeouts as a sign of "we ain't giving up."

However, if you're going to do that down by multiple scores at the end of the game, you BETTER use your timeouts and the time remaining before the half when you're within one TD at midfield and have a QB that can throw it 65 yards in the air. We didn't even try to get in range for a FG to get SOMETHING after they got that quick score on us. The end of the first half was completely mismanaged, and we just gave up after they scored. DO SOMETHING. TRY TO GET SOME ****ING POINTS.

So in the situation that we had last night, Summers just looked like a tool by doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    One thing I’d be curious to know is if the QB uses the same count system in this offense as in the flex to determine which side of the defense to attack.
    Well flex QB's know presnap where the play is calling (by play call) and count to identify the read and pitch key.

It's not to figure out which side the play is going.

I'm not sure that we're giving Werts many plays where he's making reads though. Based on how we spend so much time looking to the sideline for plays, I'm not convinced he's even identifying defensive looks presnap, just running whatever play he's given.

There's way too many plays that could be called a "blown read" if we're making a ton of reads.