SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 161

Thread: Dell McGee and Georgia

  1. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    We are FBS, how about a real nation wide search?
    Yeah you saw how that turned out with CTS. Fritz wasn't a nation wide hire and turned out pretty damn good. But I bet he's on a lot of everyone's radar now.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    Erk Russell
    Paul Johnson
    Jeff Monken

    What do they all have in common? They had zero head coaching experience before they came to Georgia Southern. Experience matters, but so does a man's character. Dell has some at the HS level and he's shooting up the coaching ranks. Dell McGee looks like a dude that doesn't put up with bull****. Tyson Summers....well doesn't.
    Not that it matters, but I think Erk was HC at Grady HS. I think Earthwind is there now.

  3. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Let's keep Lamb's name out of this discussion. I don't think there's a chance in anywhere that he would come here. When my son was visiting schools, he went to Furman. The first words out of Lamb's mouth when he spoke to the recruits and their parents were "I hate Georgia Southern." Didn't do a lot of good with the kid who was sitting there with his GS parents. Don't worry, the kid ended up at GS, too. During his recruiting process, I only met three coaches that I really didn't like: Lamb, whoever the HC was at MTSU at that time, and Jack Crow at Jacksonville State.

    FWIW, of all the coaches whose names I've seen tossed around on this board, my favorite is John Grass at Jacksonville State. He's rapidly establishing a great resume there, and I think he will be an outstanding G5 head coach somewhere in the very near future.

    Full disclosure: I don't think there's anything magical about the relationship between triple-option football and Georgia Southern University. I've said somewhere on here before that I think option football is a good way to go now because it's a contrarian approach, and I believe that's a good way to go. Having said that, it's okay with me if we run the ball 75 times a game or if we throw it 75 times a game as long as we win said game. My thoughts on what's most effective are nowhere nearly as important to me as the results.

  4. #54

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim121256 View Post
    Let's keep Lamb's name out of this discussion. I don't think there's a chance in anywhere that he would come here. When my son was visiting schools, he went to Furman. The first words out of Lamb's mouth when he spoke to the recruits and their parents were "I hate Georgia Southern." Didn't do a lot of good with the kid who was sitting there with his GS parents. Don't worry, the kid ended up at GS, too. During his recruiting process, I only met three coaches that I really didn't like: Lamb, whoever the HC was at MTSU at that time, and Jack Crow at Jacksonville State.

    FWIW, of all the coaches whose names I've seen tossed around on this board, my favorite is John Grass at Jacksonville State. He's rapidly establishing a great resume there, and I think he will be an outstanding G5 head coach somewhere in the very near future.
    Bobby Lamb is probably the fifth SoCon coach I'd pick behind (in no particular order) Mike Ayers, Mark Speir, Clay Hendrix, and Brent Thompson.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  5. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    We are FBS, how about a real nation wide search?
    Amen Garns.

  6. #56

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Don't forget Dell McGee recruited Zamir White too, the #1 RB in the class of 2018. So far McGee has gotten commitments from the #1 QB and #1 RB in this cycle, despite the fact that UGA has Fromm and Eason at QB next year and Swift and Holyfield at RB. McGee is close to getting James Cook out of Miami and a handful of other top 50 players too.

    We can debate HC experience and there are good points to be made in favor of more experience, but McGee is a rising star who has done nothing but win on the field and in the living rooms. His star is 1000X brighter than Tyson Summers.' I'd just about guarandamntee GS wouldn't have lost 11 out of its last 13 under McGee, so there's that. #2020hindsighthurtssobad

  7. #57

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    Don't forget Dell McGee recruited Zamir White too, the #1 RB in the class of 2018. So far McGee has gotten commitments from the #1 QB and #1 RB in this cycle, despite the fact that UGA has Fromm and Eason at QB next year and Swift and Holyfield at RB. McGee is close to getting James Cook out of Miami and a handful of other top 50 players too.

    We can debate HC experience and there are good points to be made in favor of more experience, but McGee is a rising star who has done nothing but win on the field and in the living rooms. His star is 1000X brighter than Tyson Summers.' I'd just about guarandamntee GS wouldn't have lost 11 out of its last 13 under McGee, so there's that. #2020hindsighthurtssobad
    Its and SEC school with all the bells and whistles, really folks lets not make it out like he is landing top guys at Vandy. Also its SEC recruiting money talks no SEC school does not buy a fair share of their recruits other than Vandy likely.

    Dell nor Tyson were qualified for the job. Fritz's entire staff coached the GoDaddy bowl I am pretty sure he did not call the defense or the offense as Ruse outranked him as OC. The players also like CTS that does not get you any points on the board.

    I think McGee would be a better recruiter than TS but beyond that the McGee stuff is romanticized garbage. There is zero proof he can handle a FBS program, zero. Saying he would have been better than CTS has no meaning, so would just about any other coach in DIV I football.

    Both would have been acceptable for a 200K-300K average FCS job the end.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  8. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Still doesn't mean that he has the resume to be a head coach yet. He may end up being a great one. But IMO we need more than "hes a great guy" when it comes to a HC hire.
    I HATE this point of view.... HATE it. He doesn't interview well, he doesn't have the resume, blah blah blah. You know what? If someone can do their job, and do it better than another dude, then that guy should be hired.

    I am a prime example of someone who doesn't interview well. I'm in the tech field. I don't know as much about some technologies as some other guys my age, but when it comes to getting my job done, I usually do it better/faster. It's not because I'm smarter or anything else, it's because I'm more resourceful, know who to ask questions to, ask the right questions, and figure out the best solution. I'll take someone with street smarts over book smarts most days of the week.

    What's funny to me is this : Those who say he doesn't have the resume, he doesn't have this, he doesn't have that - at the end of the day, is he resourceful? Can he find the guys that will get the job done? We refer to the Head Coaching position as the "CEO" of the program. How many CEO's know more about their products than the guys actually building the product? Not many I would bet.

    Sean McVay is an NFL head coach at the age of 31. He took over for Jeff Fischer who had 22 years of head coaching experience. Inexperienced sometimes IS better.
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

  9. #59

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Dell is nothing more than Rodney Garner. A good position coach that is a great recruiter. Garner is a top 3 recruiter for the last 15 years. He’s never made it above d-line coach. Sure, he’s been given titles such as Associate Head Coach for money and prestige. However, he is still a d-line coach.

    Folks, if Dell McGee stays in FBS P5, he will be nothing greater than a running backs coach. If he drops down, maybe a coordinator or head coach. But why drop down when he makes the money he makes. Mark it down, I bet he gets zero offers at the end of this year to be a head coach or coordinator any higher than FCS.

  10. #60

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Anyone who thinks that just because a coach can recruit well that he'll make a great head coach, obviously doesn't follow Georgia Southern basketball...
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Similar Threads

  1. DELL McGEE
    By JDC325 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 3rd July 2017, 08:09 PM
  2. Dell McGee leaves Tulane for Kirby Smart and Georgia
    By BOWLINGEAGLEGSU in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 6th January 2016, 02:56 PM
  3. Dell McGee
    By eagleeye in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 29th December 2015, 08:09 PM
  4. DELL MCGEE
    By GangsterGUS in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 25th December 2015, 11:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •