SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 161

Thread: Dell McGee and Georgia

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    6,813

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by bteagles11 View Post
    No your analogy is inaccurate. Houston is the guy who has built upscale homes in the 500K range. Not quite the Mansions like a Power 5 coach would build but still very nice homes. Dell McGee has built Starter homes to 250K range but decided to stop building houses and instead do custom remodels on Kitchen's and Bathrooms. While CTS decided to give up his House Building experiment and head straight to the Demolition ( of our football program) side of the business. !!!
    What a stretch. He had TWO years as a position coach and ONE year as an off the field analyst when Fritz left. I don't care what he did in High School, well....because it's High School. I played HS football and baseball. Does that mean I was good enough to play DI football or baseball when I got to college? Not quite.
    Last edited by KJ Eagle; 10th October 2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  2. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I played HS football and baseball. Does that mean I was good enough to play DI football or baseball when I got to college? Not quite.
    Yes, "A Man's Got To Know His Limitations". Your are correct on your anayisis and probably your abilities. Eastwood style😋

  3. #113

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by bteagles11 View Post
    No high school coach I know has a second job. In Atlanta things may be different but you go to places like Valdosta, Lowndes, Colquitt, Northside WR, WR, HOCO, Camden. That doesn't happen. I find it hard to believe any high classification team in Georgia has a full time HC and Coords with second jobs. Unless he is the golf coach in the spring. Give me a break. Even though this can't be proven, I would have bet money that if we had hired Dell we would be going to 2 straight bowl games with very similar Fritz' success. If you can answer that honestly you come to the same conclusion. I am ok with Houston, in fact he is my choice, but don't undersell on Dell and not expect me to show you where you are wrong.
    Valdosta’s coach makes 6 figures. No need to take on a side job for any reason.

  4. #114

  5. #115

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    It would be the hire of a lifetime to get Dell McGee . . . as our recruiting coordinator under a competent head coach. Unfortunately, we can't pay a position coach/recruiting coordinator a half million dollars.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

  6. #116

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    People like to put praise on Alex Atkins, Dell McGee, and Doug Ruse, and that's well deserved...but you forget about who it was that assembled the staff in the first place.

    Fritz didn't win the assistant coach lottery or pull of any kind of miracle, either. Atkins was an OL coach at UTC (and wasn't even his first choice), Dell was (of course) an analyst for Auburn for 1 year and a high school coach.

    That's the thing about good head coaches, they are good HR people who know how to put together a good, synergistic staff. Doug Ruse never even worked in any kind of option offense before and he worked nicely as a cog in the staff.

    Do you think there's some magic transformation that occurs when a coach goes to work for Nick Saban that makes them a good head coach? Nope, Saban is just good at bringing in available people who are good.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    23,582

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    People like to put praise on Alex Atkins, Dell McGee, and Doug Ruse, and that's well deserved...but you forget about who it was that assembled the staff in the first place.

    Fritz didn't win the assistant coach lottery or pull of any kind of miracle, either. Atkins was an OL coach at UTC (and wasn't even his first choice), Dell was (of course) an analyst for Auburn for 1 year and a high school coach.

    That's the thing about good head coaches, they are good HR people who know how to put together a good, synergistic staff. Doug Ruse never even worked in any kind of option offense before and he worked nicely as a cog in the staff.

    Do you think there's some magic transformation that occurs when a coach goes to work for Nick Saban that makes them a good head coach? Nope, Saban is just good at bringing in available people who are good.
    Saban brings in people who are good, who are able to achieve his goals and relentless pursuit of perfection. Look at the Kiffin hire. Saban made the realization that he had to get away from the same ole pro-style offense he'd been running and preferred to run. He found someone who could bring in more of a modern approach, while also working inside the construct of his system and Process.

    Fritz was in many ways the same. He had a goal and an image of what he wants his teams to be. He also understands the path to get there. All of that works hand in hand with what you stated about getting people that work together.

    I'm not even sure if Summers has in his mind what our team should be. We don't see any progress toward anything, we're all over the place. As a team, we have no cohesive growth and understanding of what we are moving toward.


  8. #118

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    What a stretch. He had TWO years as a position coach and ONE year as an off the field analyst when Fritz left. I don't care what he did in High School, well....because it's High School. I played HS football and baseball. Does that mean I was good enough to play DI football or baseball when I got to college? Not quite.
    Im guessing you played high school ball in the 80's? Things have changed. The high school game has way more influence on the college and even the pro game of football than ever before. Go watch a Colquitt County game, those coaches are on the sidelines with flat screen TV's going over the previous series that's being beemed down from the press box like they do in the pros. They have nutritionist and in depth S&C program. Did I mention they've got an indoor practice facility being built! You are discounting the sophistication of the high school game nowadays. Rush runs the program just like a college program and he ain't the only one!
    Go Eagles!!

  9. #119

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleNationRising View Post
    Valdosta’s coach makes 6 figures. No need to take on a side job for any reason.
    There are many that do not make six figure probably most. My high school coach taught and had a summer job. Not everyone's life revolves around high school football or has one or two schools in the county.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  10. #120

    Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

    NM

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Similar Threads

  1. DELL McGEE
    By JDC325 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 3rd July 2017, 08:09 PM
  2. Dell McGee leaves Tulane for Kirby Smart and Georgia
    By BOWLINGEAGLEGSU in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 6th January 2016, 02:56 PM
  3. Dell McGee
    By eagleeye in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 29th December 2015, 08:09 PM
  4. DELL MCGEE
    By GangsterGUS in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 25th December 2015, 11:22 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •