SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 14151617 LastLast

Thread: Dell McGee and Georgia

Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    Dean left VSU because he had never sniffed a better job in his three decades as a coach. He was 52 and had never coached above DII. He was as out of his league as Gillespie was.
    Exactly. Much like Hatcher in 2006. But, hey, Dean, Hatcher, Gillespie, and Summers are all from Georgia.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

2. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

Maybe it will be determined his actions were wrong and thus put Ga Southern in a compromising position. If he has a clause in his contract he could be released for violating that clause.
    If you only do what you know you can do- you never do very much.”
    Tom Krause
    "If the plan doesn't work, then change the plan, NOT the GOAL!" Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Exactly. Much like Hatcher in 2006. But, hey, Dean, Hatcher, Gillespie, and Summers are all from Georgia.
    Hatcher was like an early 30's DII Wunderkind and Hal Mumme disciple. That wasn't a bad hire at all. It just didn't work out. Not quite the same boat as David Dean.

And to his credit... Hatcher has ended up being an average FCS coach. Not totally in over his head. Tyson Summers can't say that.

When we hired Hatcher, I thought for sure we were going to be keeping about a 50/50 run/pass ration with the spread formations. The 2007 offense was what I was hoping we could continue to evolve, but he went full air raid. Never go full air raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Hatcher was like an early 30's DII Wunderkind and Hal Mumme disciple. That wasn't a bad hire at all. It just didn't work out. Not quite the same boat as David Dean.

And to his credit... Hatcher has ended up being an average FCS coach. Not totally in over his head. Tyson Summers can't say that.
    Agreed, on paper Hatcher seemed like a good hire
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Agreed, on paper Hatcher seemed like a good hire
    Had he been hired instead of VanGonad he might have gotten it going. Two years with Foster at QB would have built some momentum and maybe some better players.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

Yes. Hatcher had an insanely good track record as a boy genius HC. I mean, 76-12 trumps the winning % of any coach we've ever had.

And he inherited some crap at VSU before putting that program back at the top.

For whatever reason, he reached his HC ceiling remarkably soon after coming to GS. Then and now, he's simply one of a handful of damn good coaches in the Socon. That top half of that conference has consistently had better coaches than the SBC.

I would call him the poster child for why hiring "the best coach available, regardless of scheme" doesn't always work.

Of course, he came in unprepared to build a D-I infrastructure all on his own (which was unfair to him and almost an impossible task given the resources [not] provided by his superiors). He found out the hard way, as did all of us, that D-II programs are structurally different from D-I programs.

We should have hired Mike Ayers. Period.
    Last edited by pete4256; 13th October 2017 at 09:33 AM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Had he been hired instead of VanGonad he might have gotten it going. Two years with Foster at QB would have built some momentum and maybe some better players.
    He might not have not have kept Foster at QB. Moving him back was largely due to (1) his awareness of the failed experiment in 2006, and (2) the QB roster he inherited from BVG.

He likely would have brought a VSU recruit with him to play QB. Of course, had he gotten Armanti Edwards on campus, Armanti might have been his QB. Hatcher was able to recognize talent even when it didn't fit into his AIr Raid boxes.

Plus, I doubt he would have destroyed the team by bringing in 30 transfers and relieving GS guys of their scholarships.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yes. Hatcher had an insanely good track record as a boy genius HC. I mean, 76-12 trumps the winning % of any coach we've ever had.

And he inherited some crap at VSU before putting that program back at the top.

For whatever reason, he reached his HC ceiling remarkably soon after coming to GS. Then and now, he's simply one of a handful of damn good coaches in the Socon. That top half of that conference has consistently had better coaches than the SBC.

I would call him the poster child for why hiring "the best coach available, regardless of scheme" doesn't always work.

Of course, he came in unprepared to build a D-I infrastructure all on his own (which was unfair to him and almost an impossible task given the resources [not] provided by his superiors). He found out the hard way, as did all of us, that D-II programs are structurally different from D-I programs.

We should have hired Mike Ayers. Period.
    If Hatch had a DC, he'd still be coaching here, oh the GS passing records that would have been established!

10. Default Re: Dell McGee and Georgia

Nm