SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Patience Justified?

Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Patience is justified at GaSt or Tulane, both of those coaches took over complete dumpster fires. I just do not get how people dont get CTS was handed a talent loaded football team with three solid recruiting classes handed to him and has taken to the bottom of the FBS, and how they think he can get us back to where Fritz had us. Of course we can improve from being the worst team in the FBS but where with CTS?

Ironically as I am typing this on ATL radio they are talking about Tulane and how bad GS would love Fritz back and how bad GS is in trouble now.
    I think it's safe to say Tulane is now far from being a dumpster fire.

2. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

I would really like to know what was seen in Tyson in the first place that made TK say this guy is a winner?
    Seriously what was it?

No, it's time to make a change.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I think it's safe to say Tulane is now far from being a dumpster fire.
    Willie Fritz is a great coach.
    Maybe the next coach at Mizzou?
    Lord knows they need a new coach.

5. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    I keep seeing this comment made in various places. Let's all remember, BVG LEFT.... on his own accord. Had he not been a job-hopping jagoff, I can GUARANTEE you he would have been here another year. So, it's a bit disingenuous to say TS is the only one to get another season. BVG was still coach in January.... he wasn't going anywhere til he bailed.

What he didn't do doesn't exactly matter much.

What matters is he left.

BVG was a total idiot. At least he was smart enough to see things weren't working out and look elsewhere. I sure wish TS had enough sense to figure that out.

I really don't know anybody that is arguing that Summers doesn't need to go. I think the administration hasn't fired him because it probably isn't going to change a whole lot to fire him in the middle of the season. We can't really have too many conversations with other coaches to try and replace him. You also run the risk of if his players get frustrated by him being fired then they give up on the season that isn't halfway done. You also have no idea how anybody on this staff would do as interim. The administration isn't going to come out and say to the public that Summers better start winning or that they are planning on firing him. That would be unfair to everybody involved. This just is what it is. I think the earliest a move would be made is the Friday after the App State game. If in the off season they are still preaching patience then there is a problem.

Also, in the article Hampton McConnell could have been a good starting quarterback, that's just not true. I watched McConnell in almost all the scrimmages before he moved to receiver and he was pretty awful. I also don't think that Fritz's staff was the gold standard for quarterback coaching. Ellison never even came close to throwing the ball as well under that staff as he did last year.

There are a handful of questionable assertions in the article, but the main one that bothers me is the criticism of Werts. We saw Wednesday night the kind of tools he brings to the team. He put up nearly 300 total yards with virtually no clean lanes or time to throw.

There's no one on that list of "other QBs" who's even close to an impact athlete at the position in 2017. Shuman was the only one with the ability to push him at all, and he chose baseball--probably because he knows that his football ceiling is as an FCS Air Raid QB.

McConnell begged two different coaching staffs to move him to WR. He made that choice twice, even when his coaches resisted.

Garrett is an impact athlete at RB who should be starting. Richardson is an impact H-Back.

On the entire list (including Werts), only one player was offered as an FBS QB* by someone other than Georgia Southern.

*Brown originally signed by Army, along with 75 other guys in his class. Notice that he held zero FBS offers outside of GS and one FCS offer after two years of JUCO. He and Frazier committed (received offers) only after we whiffed on the QBs who chose UConn, Tulane, and Auburn over us.
    Last edited by pete4256; 9th October 2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by hvaceagle View Post
    Willie Fritz is a great coach.
    Maybe the next coach at Mizzou?
    Lord knows they need a new coach.
    depending how they finish up this year, I think Tulane extends his contract along with a nice raise. I think Willie retires from Tulane. He still has a ways to go to really make Tulane special. He's certainly heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    There are a handful of questionable assertions in the article, but the main one that bothers me is the criticism of Werts. We saw Wednesday night the kind of tools he brings to the team. He put up nearly 300 total yards with virtually no clean lanes or time to throw.

There's no one on that list of "other QBs" who's even close to an impact athlete at the position in 2017. Shuman was the only one with the ability to push him at all, and he chose baseball--probably because he knows that his football ceiling is as an FCS Air Raid QB.

McConnell begged two different coaching staffs to move him to WR.

Garrett is an impact athlete at RB who should be playing over one of the two starters. Richardson is an impact H-Back.

On the entire list (including Werts), only one player was offered as an FBS QB* by someone other than Georgia Southern.

*Brown originally signed by Army, along with 75 other guys in his class. Notice that he held zero FBS offers outside of GS and one FCS offer after two years of JUCO. He and Frazier committed after we whiffed on the QBs who chose UConn, Tulane, and Auburn over us.
    my father in law watched last Wednesday game, other than saying we arnt very good, he said our QB looks real little. I think Frazier pushes him next year.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    my father in law watched last Wednesday game, other than saying we arnt very good, he said our QB looks real little. I think Frazier pushes him next year.
    He's bigger than TaQuon Marshall, and he'll be ten pounds heavier by the time he's a junior. Go look at Ellison as a freshman.

The only issue I see with Werts is that he throws the ball from his hip. That's currently magnified by our inability to set up an acceptable pocket.

Frazier may have better tools for a genera spread offense, so we'll just have to wait.

We may have another Bostick/Kenny Robinson situation, though that discounts Werts' legitimate arm strength. If he could throw with a higher release point, I'd have no problem projecting that #4 is at least the next J.R. Revere.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown