SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Patience Justified?

Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    He's bigger than TaQuon Marshall, and he'll be ten pounds heavier by the time he's a junior. Go look at Ellison as a freshman.

The only issue I see with Werts is that he throws the ball from his hip. That's currently magnified by our inability to set up an acceptable pocket.

Frazier may have better tools for a genera spread offense, so we'll just have to wait.

We may have another Bostick/Kenny Robinson situation, though that discounts Werts' legitimate arm strength. If he could throw with a higher release point, I'd have no problem projecting that #4 is at least the next J.R. Revere.
    Wertz problem is all between the ears right now you can see athletically what he is capable of. I dont think we will ever get a QB that throws like pro style guy. If he can run like Wertz and throw really well he is called the Clemson QB.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Wertz problem is all between the ears right now you can see athletically what he is capable of. I dont think we will ever get a QB that throws like pro style guy. If he can run like Wertz and throw really well he is called the Clemson QB.
    I dunno. J.R. Revere had a good delivery. Izzy Youyoute had a good delivery. Kevin Ellison had good arm action until . . .

Clemson just doesn't want 5'11" 185 lb QBs. In fact, no one does, except service academies.

Werts is still raw, but a lot of the "between the ears" stuff has to do with so many of our plays getting off track. For instance, that "horrible" double-clutch late pitch to Campbell in our first possession the other night--it turns out that we had to rush the snap and Campbell wasn't on his pitch track when Werts made the correct read. Yet Werts got all the blame for an ugly-looking play.

And, "he looks so uncomfortable in the pocket." Well, he probably saw our RT get beat off the snap, so I don't blame him for being uncomfortable.
    Last edited by pete4256; 9th October 2017 at 02:23 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

3. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    I keep seeing this comment made in various places. Let's all remember, BVG LEFT.... on his own accord. Had he not been a job-hopping jagoff, I can GUARANTEE you he would have been here another year. So, it's a bit disingenuous to say TS is the only one to get another season. BVG was still coach in January.... he wasn't going anywhere til he bailed.
    allegedly BVG told his assistants "to see the vision through," meaning he was staying - all while he was snooping for another gig.
    anyway, enough about him. back to present-day GS football. and we stink.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll repeat it again...people are much too quick to say we don't have good players whenever we aren't winning. Then said coach leaves and the next coach blows all that nonsense away.

It took less than half a season for Paul Johnson to turn things around after we had 5 seasons of largely sub-par results and a disastrous season with an interim coach in 1996.

It took less than a whole season to clean up the cluster that was 2006-2009 and then get to the FCS semi-finals.

After 2013 when we had a season of not-so-great coaching people were wondering if we were going to have a running back and that lasted until the first quarter of the first game against NC State.

Werts is just fine, and so are all of the other positions on the offense. It's the coaching, stupid.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record, but I'll repeat it again...people are much too quick to say we don't have good players whenever we aren't winning. Then said coach leaves and the next coach blows all that nonsense away.

It took less than half a season for Paul Johnson to turn things around after we had 5 seasons of largely sub-par results and a disastrous season with an interim coach in 1996.

It took less than a whole season to clean up the cluster that was 2006-2009 and then get to the FCS semi-finals.

After 2013 when we had a season of not-so-great coaching people were wondering if we were going to have a running back and that lasted until the first quarter of the first game against NC State.

Werts is just fine, and so are all of the other positions on the offense. It's the coaching, stupid.
    I've taken comfort in this thought process as well. Georgia Southern is a great program, and although the climate around the program inhales vigorously in 2017, we are still in a great recruiting area, have plenty of traditions, have a passionate fanbase, have top notch facilities compared to our peers, and a rich history that is respected nation-wide by knowledgeable college football fans. One bad coaching hire led us here, but the right hire will get us right back on top in short order. So, while it inhales vigorously to try to stomach what we're being fed now, take solace in knowing that we have the capability of bouncing back better than most programs in a similar state.

6. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

No question we have coaching issues, but we also have a talent gap in some areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    No question we have coaching issues, but we also have a talent gap in some areas.
    What areas would you say that is?

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    What areas would you say that is?
    That's not the kind of thing we should discuss in much detail on TFL.

I would be willing to say that we haven't run that well on defense so far in 2017.

And we are very inexperienced at a lot of positions.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    He's bigger than TaQuon Marshall, and he'll be ten pounds heavier by the time he's a junior. Go look at Ellison as a freshman.

The only issue I see with Werts is that he throws the ball from his hip. That's currently magnified by our inability to set up an acceptable pocket.

Frazier may have better tools for a genera spread offense, so we'll just have to wait.

We may have another Bostick/Kenny Robinson situation, though that discounts Werts' legitimate arm strength. If he could throw with a higher release point, I'd have no problem projecting that #4 is at least the next J.R. Revere.
    I guess TV makes one look smaller.

I know we have enough talent to be 2 - 2 at a minimum. I know we had enough talent to win more than 5 games last year. And we had enough talent to beat Gag State last year.