SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Is Patience Justified?

  1. #31

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I guess TV makes one look smaller.
    TV absolutely distorts height/weight. It seems to exaggerate length. In any case, of course Werts is small. He's about the same size as J.R. Revere and Kevin Ellison: typical for an option QB.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  2. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    What areas would you say that is?
    Not calling names, but we are not strong up the middle on both sides of the ball. Think about the old baseball adage about being strong up the middle and apply it to our football team.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Statesboro
    Posts
    24,265

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    We are 5-11, NMSU is playing decent, UMass can score, GagST has 2 wins. Maybe we can beat CCU. USA I'm sure would love to get their first win over us. Troy?, don't even go there. LALA starting to play a little better. Patience, yes by all means patience I guess.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Not calling names, but we are not strong up the middle on both sides of the ball. Think about the old baseball adage about being strong up the middle and apply it to our football team.
    I assume you're talking about the lineman. I don't buy into the idea that OL isn't good when you've got guys like Boynton, Culbreth, and Northrup who have all started on teams that could run block well as young players in 2015.

    On defense, I can agree we're not as good as we were 2014-2016 at linebacker, but we're hardly full of scrubs. I'm just not convinced we've got a scheme that fits the personnel. I think the defensive linemen are good (you certainly can't question guys like Sapp and Hunt). When you can take a front seven as good as we had last year and not even be that great against the run I feel more than justified to question the coaching across the board on defense.

    Furthermore, I think too many people vastly overestimate the importance of pressure at the college level. Our TFL per game this year is so far larger than 2014 and 2015 and number of sacks per game is between 2014 and 22015. That right there should tell you how completely overrated being aggressive on defense is.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th October 2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Hey, Tyson! Change the culture back!

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Furthermore, I think too many people vastly overestimate the importance of pressure at the college level. Our TFL per game this year is so far larger than 2014 and 2015 and number of sacks per game is between 2014 and 2015. That right there should tell you how completely overrated being aggressive on defense is.
    Good points. However, it seems clear to me that this year's defense is designed to generate penetration, while Curtis' defensive fronts were designed with gap control in mind. So, both our TFL and sacks should be significantly higher than they were in 2014-15.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  6. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I assume you're talking about the lineman. I don't buy into the idea that OL isn't good when you've got guys like Boynton, Culbreth, and Northrup who have all started on teams that could run block well as young players in 2015.

    On defense, I can agree we're not as good as we were 2014-2016 at linebacker, but we're hardly full of scrubs. I'm just not convinced we've got a scheme that fits the personnel. I think the defensive linemen are good (you certainly can't question guys like Sapp and Hunt). When you can take a front seven as good as we had last year and not even be that great against the run I feel more than justified to question the coaching across the board on defense.

    Furthermore, I think too many people vastly overestimate the importance of pressure at the college level. Our TFL per game this year is so far larger than 2014 and 2015 and number of sacks per game is between 2014 and 22015. That right there should tell you how completely overrated being aggressive on defense is.
    Hey I understand your narrative and God bless you for sticking to it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. If i had to guess I would say that Troy, appy, and Ark St. are more talented than us. We're probably in a group of 4 teams in the middle of the league talent wise. Coaching at this point would put us in the bottom part of the league. You cannot turn over the staff every couple of years and build a talented football team. I'm of the opinion that the coaching situation will be delt with at season end, but when that happens you are starting over again, with another lost recruiting season.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Is Patience Justified? NOT ANY LONGER!!

    There are times to be patience, and times to be impatience...

    We have been patience long enough...

    Whoever made the mistake of hiring Summers needs to correct that mistake NOW!!
    GO EAGLES!!!!!!

    JUST ONE MORE TIME!!!!!!

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,152

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Hey I understand your narrative and God bless you for sticking to it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. If i had to guess I would say that Troy, appy, and Ark St. are more talented than us. We're probably in a group of 4 teams in the middle of the league talent wise. Coaching at this point would put us in the bottom part of the league. You cannot turn over the staff every couple of years and build a talented football team. I'm of the opinion that the coaching situation will be delt with at season end, but when that happens you are starting over again, with another lost recruiting season.

    Can't turn over the staff every couple of years and be talented? Okay, explain Ark St then.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    30,152

    Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Hey I understand your narrative and God bless you for sticking to it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. If i had to guess I would say that Troy, appy, and Ark St. are more talented than us. We're probably in a group of 4 teams in the middle of the league talent wise. Coaching at this point would put us in the bottom part of the league. You cannot turn over the staff every couple of years and build a talented football team. I'm of the opinion that the coaching situation will be delt with at season end, but when that happens you are starting over again, with another lost recruiting season.

    Can't turn over the staff every couple of years and be talented? Okay, explain Ark St then.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  10. Default Re: Is Patience Justified?

    Werts is a great athlete and has a live arm, but right now he has no poise in the pocket and bad mechanics. However, those things can improve with good/consistent coaching and experience.

    I've seen enough flashes from Werts to appreciate the potential of him "putting it all together"...I think he just needs to keep playing and keep improving. He reminds me a lot of Izzy, but Izzy had a tighter throwing motion.

Similar Threads

  1. What will the return of the option do to our patience?
    By gritzblitz56 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 06:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •