SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 68 of 93 FirstFirst ... 6667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 921

Thread: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

  1. #671

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Don't know, but if I'm TK I make sure my boss knows what it was. Clearly you are trying to say that it was TK's fault that they left or at least seem to be indicating that. I certainly don't carry a torch for TK, but just don't think their leaving was something he had the resources to prevent.
    Add in the fact that in the next contract (Summers), there was new language about notification of offers ... something that was clearly spelled out.

    I've mentioned this often, but we didn't have the resources at the time, to at least give Monken pause to consider taking a home-town discount.

    Now, TK has spent the last part of the year talking about how the budget is healthier ... well, it will be time to spend.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.





  2. Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Add in the fact that in the next contract (Summers), there was new language about notification of offers ... something that was clearly spelled out.

    I've mentioned this often, but we didn't have the resources at the time, to at least give Monken pause to consider taking a home-town discount.

    Now, TK has spent the last part of the year talking about how the budget is healthier ... well, it will be time to spend.
    I'm told he knows that.

  3. #673

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    I would imagine Jeff’s buyout is so large that there is no feasibility to this thought of him returning. He just signed a new contract.
    He made $932,000 in 2016 plus a $50,000 bonus for beating Navy, and he just signed a new contract with a raise taking him beyond 2021. There is absolutely no way short of Truett Cathy, the Zaxby's guys, and Cole Swindell teaming up and endowing a $20,000,000 coach's fund that we can even think about buying him out (which alone would prob cost $5,000,000) and offering him a 'substantial raise'. Plus, the guy loves the place. It would likely take doubling his salary to even get his attention on top of the buyout. He IS astronomically out of our price range.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

  4. #674
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Atlanta/Brookhaven
    Posts
    354

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    He made $932,000 in 2016 plus a $50,000 bonus for beating Navy, and he just signed a new contract with a raise taking him beyond 2021. There is absolutely no way short of Truett Cathy, the Zaxby's guys, and Cole Swindell teaming up and endowing a $20,000,000 coach's fund that we can even think about buying him out (which alone would prob cost $5,000,000) and offering him a 'substantial raise'. Plus, the guy loves the place. It would likely take doubling his salary to even get his attention on top of the buyout. He IS astronomically out of our price range.
    I would imagine it’s a little more like $3 million plus, but still way out of our range.

  5. #675

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    I would imagine it’s a little more like $3 million plus, but still way out of our range.
    According to this, under his original contract the buyout was equal to his remaining salary:

    https://projects.newsday.com/college...s/jeff-monken/

    I'd imagine he's got 5 years on the new extension.

    But yeah, either way it' a non-starter.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

  6. #676

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Wait, why would anyone think Monken is in play for us for any reason?

    What did I miss?
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

  7. Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    A fantasy. Davis or Bohannon would be the next best thing and both are affordable.

  8. #678

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    I wonder who else has reached out or been contacted besides Davis? Where are all the people who know someone who knows someone that said ....... at?
    It's a little early. The info will come.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  9. #679

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    PJ was "set for life" at Navy.
    Ken is set for life at Navy.
    Why did PJ leave? Why is Ken considering it?
    Money.
    Now, I'm not crazy enough to think we have GT kind of money... But the premise is there.

    Only so many teams are going to be willing to run that system. So those opportunities are slim. Southern is growing. Leveraging P5 payout money, we could offer Monken a substantial raise. And an opportunity to exceed the recruiting restrictions of Army.
    With that comes, conference Championships and the possibility of Fielding much more dominate teams than at Army. That might turn into more consideration of this system at some P5s that he could raise the eyebrows on. Like maybe Nebraska where a considerable portion of their fan Base still longs for the return of the option.

    But mostly because...
    I want Monken, and he is the "best coach" imop that isn't astronomically out of our price range. He just isn't right now. I know we can't out bid the US Government, but if nothing else... We get a guy who gives back to the program, a raise. We'd be crazy not to try. And in context to the discussion, it was thinking "BIG". MIGHT just be the kind of thing that TK needs to pull off for this fan Base right now.

    Can you think of another guy in that range who'd be better right now?
    If not, that's the answer as to "why?"

    It's like going to the prom with a pretty girl, if you don't ask... She can't say yes.
    Maybe she likes you? Maybe Monken misses GA Southern? Maybe Monken proves all he can at Army this year and the stars align? Maybe the itch he had to move THIS program to the FBS, with that offense and play all those teams who wouldn't schedule us when we were FCS... Needs to be scratched? Maybe he'd actually like to sit at the desk in the FOC that he worked so hard to make a reality?

    He's definitely the "best looking" in the room. Sure he might already have a substantial "date" but hey.. My wife was dating another guy when I met her! And she was out of my league.

    But, if he says no... Like a girl with a pretty sister... There is another attractive option under the same roof.

    +1000

  10. #680

    Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    +1000
    I don’t think I’d get really invested in this theory
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker

Similar Threads

  1. Ragin Cajuns Hire West Georgia's Will Hall as Offensive Coordinator
    By West Georgia Eagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th January 2017, 07:49 AM
  2. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 6th August 2014, 09:58 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th November 2011, 10:15 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th October 2011, 01:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •