SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 93 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

Someone solid, winner as college head coach, little to zero issues or negative name recognition.

Les Miles, and bring back Summers as DC.
    Fire Sam Baker! The rest will take care of itself.

1: Mike Houston (we could double his salary/ let them hire Thompson to replace him) BEST available and has Triple Option background.
    2: I. Jasper Might cost more than Houston to get. Apparently he made nearly a decade ago about what Houston makes now. No HC experience, but I'd be happy.
    3. Bohannon (Would rather him get a little more HC time in at KS. But I'd take him. Note: If we Hire Houston, he's likely to run Option here 2 or 3 years then get hired away - In comes Bohannon?)
    3. Mike Sewak (Yes - I said it. ) HC experience. Knows how to win (and our way). Should be better at team control this time around.
    4. Stay away from Briles.
    5. No to Chadwell. Plus he basically has the gig at Coastal now.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbacker View Post
    Someone solid, winner as college head coach, little to zero issues or negative name recognition.

Les Miles, and bring back Summers as DC.
    Did you watch the defense in the last couple of games?
    Plus, how does that help?
    If someone else hires him, we just have to pay the difference in his salary. If that's us, then we are still on the hook for the entire amount. If we are going to spend 500k/year on DC then it better be for something better than what we've seen the last few games.. wouldn't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Ashley Ingram? Every time we lose a coach I hear the same terrible names.
    Sometimes I lose faith in this fan base with over or really underthinking coaching hires....its not hard hire a guy like Fritz a PROVEN WINNING COACH.

Its like some people just want to say names just to say them...some really dumb names like really dumb. This is not the FCS where you out athlete over half your schedule nor are we paying 250k if their resume does not include being a HC then it better be a coord that called the opposite side of the ball than the HC and has a long track record of sucess. Honestly position coaches wtf

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    1. We're poor as hell. So poor that even being able to offer Mike Houston more money than he's currently making at JMU is a stretch. We can't exactly go out and find the next Nick Saban with the budget we're working with.

2. You say that we need to hire a proven coach with a good track record and every person that I named on my list has that. Houston is 19-1 with a title. Dell coached us through a record-setting bowl game and is a recruiting genius at UGA.

3. Let's not make this into a Triple Option vs every other kind of tired, nondescript offense that is used in CFB. There is nothing wrong with running the option, there are plenty of great option coaches out there, and we have been/can be successful running it. END OF STORY.

4I would say that not hiring a proven option coach who knew how to utilize our specifically-recruited players correctly is what got us into this mess. Not to mention, if we went with a coach that wanted to run an offense that our players weren't specifically recruited for, we'd have to give him 2-3 years to install his offense and recruit the players to run it. We don't have that kind of time when our program has taken a huge blow and needs instant success before the wind completely leaves the sails. If we hired some random air raid coach and continued having mediocre seasons while he tries to figure things out, we'll just be another Eastern Michigan, or Kent State, or Ball State with no uniqueness, no notoriety, and a completely apathetic fan base. Georgia Southern is known for hard-nosed, option ball and without that, we will die.
    Wut....

We should hire the best person for the job. We will not know who that is until a year in, so you pick someone with some experience, and someone that wants to be here for at least a couple of years.
    I am not convinced we will hire an option coach, and if you get a proven coach that can teach what he wants to run that can win at Southern.
    But the key is finding a guy who takes the players he has and runs what works best for them until at least he can get his recruits.
    Would I like to see someone with an option background get the job, sure, if he is the best guy for the job. I do not want to see us limit ourselves to just option coaches and pass up a really good up and coming coach that could be with us a while.
    Like I have said before I love the flex as much as anyone, but it can't be the reason we hire a new coach is just that offense. We can win with the flex, but I am not sure we can go past a certain point with just the flex. I think we need a more multiple offense with a lot of option in it, but with an actual short passing game too.
    Hire the best dude out there, let him run the offense he thinks we can run with the players he has and lets see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglereporter View Post
    We should hire the best person for the job. We will not know who that is until a year in, so you pick someone with some experience, and someone that wants to be here for at least a couple of years.
    I am not convinced we will hire an option coach, and if you get a proven coach that can teach what he wants to run that can win at Southern.
    But the key is finding a guy who takes the players he has and runs what works best for them until at least he can get his recruits.
    Would I like to see someone with an option background get the job, sure, if he is the best guy for the job. I do not want to see us limit ourselves to just option coaches and pass up a really good up and coming coach that could be with us a while.
    Like I have said before I love the flex as much as anyone, but it can't be the reason we hire a new coach is just that offense. We can win with the flex, but I am not sure we can go past a certain point with just the flex. I think we need a more multiple offense with a lot of option in it, but with an actual short passing game too.
    Hire the best dude out there, let him run the offense he thinks we can run with the players he has and lets see what happens.
    Only offense i am against is pro style talk about a ceiling in recruiting

8. Default Re: Who should Georgia Southern hire?

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Wut....
    Tell me what I said was incorrect? We don’t have money, we don’t have time to drastically change our offensive identity and hope it works, there’s plenty of great option coaches out there, and we can be successful running the option just like we have been for literal decades.

We can’t let ourselves turn into one of the other mediocre G5 teams and this coaching hire will be the pivotal moment

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Tell me what I said was incorrect? We don’t have money, we don’t have time to drastically change our offensive identity and hope it works, there’s plenty of great option coaches out there, and we can be successful running the option just like we have been for literal decades.

We can’t let ourselves turn into one of the other mediocre G5 teams and this coaching hire will be the pivotal moment
    You know our budget inside and out? You really think we fired a HC without knowing we could pay a legit FBS salary to the next guy ? We can run any option based offense and be sucessfull with the talent at our fingertips or spread for that matter. Calm down with opinions and making them sound declaritive statements, we gave enough people doing that like Dylan

The guy we should hire is the same guy we should have hired the last two times the job was open. Ivin Jasper
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low