SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Few Thoughts

Default A Few Thoughts

Well, that game was certainly a downer... This was the first game I've watched in its entirety since UNH, which I made the trip to B'ham for. I've caught bits and pieces of games, but had other things planned as well that kept me from seeing them. (I can remember when I would plan my entire fall around the football schedule. Just doesn't seem like as much of a priority the last couple of years...) There were a few random thoughts I had as I watched:

- We really look small. I don't know if that's what we have been going for in recruiting - small and quick - or maybe it was just me. But our players look overmatched based on size.

- With us being the worst team in the nation (God, it hurts to admit that), I suppose it makes sense that we have the worst defensive coordinator in the nation. He should be fired as soon as the clock hits :00 in the last game. Game #8, and we're still telegraphing blitzes and leaving receivers wide @$$ open.

- So many head-scratching mistakes. It just seems like there has been almost no player development for the past two seasons. I can remember thinking Wesley Fields was a sure-fire bet to be the next great Georgia Southern running back when he was a freshman. He had the "It" factor. Unfortunately, incompetence in his development has left him seeming like just another guy. Our coaches ruined Breida's last season, and they have ruined 2 seasons now for Fields.

- I was hopeful that the right coach coming in would be able to right the ship quickly, but this will be a complete overhaul. We are so utterly terrible, that it may realistically take 2-3 years just to get back to being mediocre, let alone truly competitive.

- We have lost to Georgia State 3 years running. Let that marinate in your mouth for another year, Eagle fans. Ugh.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Default Re: A Few Thoughts

Unfortunately, there's no debating any of those points. Even worse, we seem to have developed a loser mentality. That's the worst part of it. We almost seemed to expect to lose and went out of our way to make it happen. How else do you get two turnovers in one quarter and within 2-3 plays give the ball RIGHT back BOTH times? A bad team that seems to have totally forgotten what Georgia Southern football is all about.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

3. Default Re: A Few Thoughts

Anybody else think we're WORSE since Summers was fired? I do.

Can't blame that one on the defense. State had one offensive TD, one defensive TD, and a third set up by a fumble. State's offense is awful, though, and I'm not sold that were any better.

We have a crap defensive scheme and a crap offensive scheme assembled by a supremely incompetent head coach. If it could get fixed in a matter of weeks by an interim coach then teams would rotate head coaches every week or make external hires in the middle of the season. I don't buy for one second it will take more than a year to get back to being competitive. Heard the same stuff back in 2009.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

CCL did just about everything he could beside force a QB change.
    As far as RBs, Wesley Fields has another year to have a comeback, poor LA is the one really getting burned. He is done after this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    No, if TS coached the team today we lose by 20 at least.

Why?
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

8. Default Re: A Few Thoughts

I donít think so. Now admittedly we arenít that much better but there are flashes, two or three plays or even a series when you kinda get hope but then somebody jumps offsides or fumbles.
    I will say this whoever the new coach is when he gets here heís not going to have a shortage of talent. The talent is there although I think a lot of it is still on the bench. Itís almost like no one is coaching basic fundamentals.

The defense made enough stops today that with any kind of compitant offense we win game. Time to buy out Cooks last year because any new HC isn't keeping any of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    The defense made enough stops today that with any kind of compitant offense we win game. Time to buy out Cooks last year because any new HC isn't keeping any of these guys.
    Unfortunately (because of $$$) I agree.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.