SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shai

Default Shai

I'm no football expert, but I saw a lot of growth in Shai today, but still saw a freshman. He showed KE4 type elusiveness today, but compared to early in the season, he waited longer to look for the pass play if it was a pass play. He still had some bad reads option wise, but I feel like he has improved a good bit since the opening game. Makes you wonder what he may look like had he had actual good coaching since last season. He showed some real flashes today and I still think he has a high ceiling.

Default Re: Shai

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    I'm no football expert, but I saw a lot of growth in Shai today, but still saw a freshman. He showed KE4 type elusiveness today, but compared to early in the season, he waited longer to look for the pass play if it was a pass play. He still had some bad reads option wise, but I feel like he has improved a good bit since the opening game. Makes you wonder what he may look like had he had actual good coaching since last season. He showed some real flashes today and I still think he has a high ceiling.
    I'm kind of at the point where it's like - we might as well get him the in-game experience and see what happens.

Obviously nothing good can come of this season, so what's to lose (besides every other game, which is realistic either way)?
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

3. Default Re: Shai

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post

I like him and Kado. I have seen good stuff from all the QBs who have played.

Maybe once they have enough time to do anything (actual coordinated blocking would be great) they can really start to show some good stuff.

Blocking remains an awful big issue-and it looks unlikely to be fixed this season.

I agree that Werts played a strong game. He threw the ball well and really is elusive.

One of the things I hoped we'd do under Lunsford is to run more spread stuff in order to see what we have in Werts and our receivers.

Despite the lack of points, I was pleased with that aspect of the offense today. Werts has the tools to be a good, multi-dimensional option QB.

And our receivers are pretty good, too.

Edit: from now on, I'd pretty much ONLY run spread formations and under-center plays.
    Last edited by pete4256; 4th November 2017 at 11:10 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Don't want to talk bad about a kid, especially one who is leaving his heart out on the field, but he isn't a very good QB. The physical talent is there. His delivery and accuracy need work, but isn't the biggest problem.
    I don't know how much of it is coaching vs. how much of it is on the player, but he doesn't know how to read the option, and doesn't know how/doesn't have the confidence to throw the ball. If he is the future, he needs a huge off-season.
    I want him to succeed, but he needs to get a lot better. I think he can, if he had coaching.

6. Default Re: Shai

I see a player who has a lot of natural ability and potential who just needs coaching and focus on some basic principles of running an offense. Our offense hasn’t been focused all season. No one can define our offense because it’s just thrown together “gun option” with no deception or motion. Shai is used to being left on an island by himself scrambling for his life. Today was a little different because we mixed up the play calling with screen passes and out routes. He looked better, but the kid just needs a good coaching staff to help him focus.

7. Default Re: Shai

I anticipate that Shai Werts will switch positions eventually.

I think he's a DAMN fine athlete. I don't think QB is his best position.

Right now he's such a good athlete we're keeping him at QB hoping he keeps plays alive. Plus we have nothing behind him. Kado has more poise and confidence, but isn't as talented.

Werts threw for 147 with a high completion %, he stayed in pocket. Who knows what will go down when we get our new HC. I had a bad view on the pass late in game to the end zone. The play that GagSt got the flag but to me it was a well thrown ball that should have been caught?, then we win. Again, my angle to view it was terrible. For a number of seconds I thought he caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Werts threw for 147 with a high completion %, he stayed in pocket. Who knows what will go down when we get our new HC. I had a bad view on the pass late in game to the end zone. The play that GagSt got the flag but to me it was a well thrown ball that should have been caught?, then we win. Again, my angle to view it was terrible. For a number of seconds I thought he caught it.
    Watching online i feel like it shouldve been caught as well.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Despite the pass interference, Henry should have caught that ball to win the game. He was in great position to use his body to trap the ball going down. Good enough throw from Shai on that play.