SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 490

Thread: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

  1. #261

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Option coaches would stay longer even if winning because there's fewer places to go.

    Arkansas has been hot with the dice but odds will invariably catch up to them as it does all of our peers.


    Navy already has their next coach.
    Again, 2-3 suitors vs scores of them.
    They also stuck with a similar offensive system.
    Go Eagles!!

  2. #262

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    OK. Say Ken goes to Oregon State. If he wins, he stays there indefinitely. If he loses, they likely scrap the experiment and do something else. Oregon State or any other non-service academy isn't going to be perennially looking to poach our (flex) coaches.
    Well now I get that you are more flex based on keeping a coach longer versus the morons on twitter and facebook that think the flex has some magical powers only useful at GS. It is speed that gives option based offenses and equalizing quality over defenses like AL not the specific type of option.

    This is what I think is happening if we get Davis. TK f'ed up by not getting Cook year one with him demanding a two year deal. Know we fire the HC but Cook is still owed $250K for next year and we still have to pay CTS. So financially TK painted himself into a $250K corner to an extent in hiring someone that will likely keep Cook. Also he gest a a pass with the Flexboners. Path of least resistance if there ever was one. Hope it works out but if Houston is still at JMU next year winning another NC and or goes to some other low level G5 we get what we deserve if it does not work out for the second time in not landing or keeping a proven winning HC.

    We dont know anything about how Davis will do, absolutley nothing. He has not been the OC under defensive background HC's we have zero clue how much he has contributed to past GS or Army's success as they both have proven winning offensive minded HC's, or if he can run a program or if he can elevate talent or recruit. We want to be big time but still want our flexbone baby blanket to keep us safe at night.....pathetic really.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  3. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. It only takes one, and then this whole idea that our coaches won't get poached if we run the flex is moot.
    The odds of a flex coach being poached compared to all others is miniscule. I'd take those percentages all day long.

  4. #264
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    15,760

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    Ken has been HC at Navy for 10 seasons now, and IMO goes to Gatalac's point. Pretty sure if Navy ran a conventional offense he would've been snatched up years ago.
    Our average head coaching tenure is a little over 4 years. And that includes Erk being here for 9 years. Our history shows that, regardless of offense, we either lose coaches because they win and get hired away, or they get fired for not winning enough.
    Walt Johnson
    Class of '00

  5. #265

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Option coaches would stay longer even if winning because there's fewer places to go.

    Arkansas has been hot with the dice but odds will invariably catch up to them as it does all of our peers.


    Navy already has their next coach.
    Again, 2-3 suitors vs scores of them.
    Not true with ArkSt their success is as much to do with them being on top of the Belt for years in talent as coaching. Probably see this more with App soon if Sat leaves.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  6. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Saying it doesn't make it so. Evidence, however, overwhelmingly suggests that it is so.

    If there were any evidence that it represented a 'barrier', I'd agree with you. However, all available evidence points to the contrary-that the inability for almost every one of our peers to consistently land and retain world-beater coaches time after time is a real and significant barrier, while a more systematic approach substantially eliminates the risk/barrier.
    I've got your argument an understand it. I just don't think it's right for today. I don't want us to be pigeonholed into a particular offense like you guys do. I don't think the available TO coaches are the best guys for us. I'm just a believer that a diversified offense gives us a better chance to win big. I'n not content to win 5 or 6 games and finish in the middle of the SunBelt. I've asked several times for an explanation of where all these great players that we can get to run the triple option today are and have gotten no specific answer. Everyone has an opinion, but there is no proven answer either way.

  7. #267

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Sorry, I disagree. It only takes one, and then this whole idea that our coaches won't get poached if we run the flex is moot.
    So the danger of a hypothetical 'if' that may or may not happen outweighs the much larger danger that already actually exists for other coaches? Doesn't make logical sense to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Our average head coaching tenure is a little over 4 years. And that includes Erk being here for 9 years. Our history shows that, regardless of offense, we either lose coaches because they win and get hired away, or they get fired for not winning enough.
    4 years is still > 2 years, and that average is ignoring the fact that we would no longer be firing coaches for winning at a .700 clip and posting no losing seasons. For that kind of performance, they'd now get perpetual extensions and raises.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

  8. #268

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I've got your argument an understand it. I just don't think it's right for today. I don't want us to be pigeonholed into a particular offense like you guys do. I don't think the available TO coaches are the best guys for us. I'm just a believer that a diversified offense gives us a better chance to win big. I'n not content to win 5 or 6 games and finish in the middle of the SunBelt. I've asked several times for an explanation of where all these great players that we can get to run the triple option today are and have gotten no specific answer. Everyone has an opinion, but there is no proven answer either way.
    Let me ask you this, as your answer may better help me understand your logic. If we hired a flex/option coach and he won an average of 8 games a year, then went to Air Force after 5 years, then we did the same for another 5 years, would you still hold the same position about 'pigeonholing' ourselves in the next coaching search 10 years from now?

    I believe that we will get the players that GT and Navy/Army want but who don't love the idea of the academy experience or are left out academically. That's basically the O-linemen. We've never had a hard time getting stellar RB's and QB's that are great for us but that others don't want.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

  9. #269

    Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Let me ask you this, as your answer may better help me understand your logic. If we hired a flex/option coach and he won an average of 8 games a year, then went to Air Force after 5 years, then we did the same for another 5 years, would you still hold the same position about 'pigeonholing' ourselves in the next coaching search 10 years from now?

    I believe that we will get the players that GT and Navy/Army want but who don't love the idea of the academy experience or are left out academically. That's basically the O-linemen. We've never had a hard time getting stellar RB's and QB's that are great for us but that others don't want.
    Agree with this 100% but we can do the same running something other than specifically the flex. If it is optioned based it will get incorrectly labeled the triple like we have been since 2014 anyway. If we stay option based like Fritz did I dont think the big boys come calling and if we can get to 1M+/- in pay we keep the Tulane's away as well.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  10. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    The odds of a flex coach being poached compared to all others is miniscule. I'd take those percentages all day long.
    This is probably true, but I hope it is not the mindset of our hiring committee. IMO it is absurd to continue to hire HC's based on our perceived expectancy of their tenure at GS. Hire the best HC, period. If we become known as the successful program that launches HC's to the next level, great, that means GS is winning and can pay less for good HC's.

Similar Threads

  1. Brent Davis...We need you now more than ever
    By Swainsboroeagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23rd December 2013, 06:32 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st September 2011, 06:30 PM
  3. Replies: 76
    Last Post: 27th December 2009, 06:13 PM
  4. Just confirmed - Brent Davis...
    By EagleBlood in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 27th December 2009, 02:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •