SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

1. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    No objections until your last line. I'd say the right scheme can be a benefit to a competent coach but no scheme can mask incompetent coaching.

Exactly. That is why I think it all starts with the HC, not the scheme.

2. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    We probably would have had several pre-1997, but we played multiple non-DI teams a lot of those years.

Honestly, the 1992 schedule is embarrassing. 7-4 with home games against Valdosta State (D-II), Savannah State (D-II), Jacksonville State (D-II), Mississippi College (D-II), and a 21-0 loss to Troy (D-II). That team went 3-2 against I-AA teams.
    I was very embarrassed Saturday, but I wasn't in '92.

3. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    That's probably because we felt like we were IN most of the games we lost even if we let it "slip away". Overall we felt like winners. And if we lost, it wasn't because we inhale vigorously, it was due to something else. It was a great feeling.

No coach would have gotten a pass from losing to GAST, and we would have never tried to hang a nail on anything from a game in which we "Almoooost beat" Georgia freaking STATE! (That's certainly not a shot at Lunsford's efforts, he has been put in an impossible situation).
    Even Stowers would be 4-0 against GaSt. Yet we sit here today 1-3.

4. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by GSU25+yrFan View Post
    This guy could get a jet.............

Mark Burns
    President, Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. and a Vice President of General Dynamics

A native of Savannah, Burns earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Georgia Southern University. He serves on the board of directors of the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) and the associate member advisory council of the National Business Aviation Association (NBAA).

https://www.gulfstreamnews.com/bios/mark-burns
    We need you sir on staff at The University. You think exactly as one should.

5. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    Actually four coaches. If we're just going to attribute everything to the flex, then we can take Erk out of the equation because that was PJs offense. Which goes back to my point about doing a disservice to really good coaches. Even Erk.

And we saw what Stowers was without Erk. That 1990 team was the equivalent of Barry Switzer winning a super bowl with Jimmy Johnson's team.
    sounds to me like you're describing Fritz success on the back what Jeff Monken built.

6. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

The system matters because it enables us to recruit. We've won here by recruiting guys who don't fit the more mainstream pro-friendly systems, and won with them.

Unless Southern suddenly winds up in the SEC, that's the only advantage we're going to have. And we'll continue to have it over Tech because our school is not as academically rigorous.

That said, someone who can coach is better than someone who can't coach. Stowers wasn't a head coach. Sewak might've been over time, but we didn't give him that. And I count myself among those dumbasses who wanted him gone at the time. But we thought we were getting someone who respected the option. Come to find out the only thing that arrogant yankee BVG respected was himself.

Anyway, the poster who said coach is more than system is half right, and half wrong IN OUR CASE. System matters here. It's our ace in the hole. But we need someone who can coach it well.

Hopefully, the carpetbagger AD will make the right hire this time.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Exactly. That is why I think it all starts with the HC, not the scheme.
    Players > HC> Off scheme > Def scheme > fan's opinions

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Mitty View Post
    You must have not been watching.

That homecoming game vs. Troy was the biggest dud ever planted in Paulson Stadium, and that includes Georgia State's win in 2015.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Mitty View Post
    I wasn't embarrassed Saturday. The guys on the field and our interim HC played the best game of the 2017 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    You must have not been watching.

That homecoming game vs. Troy was the biggest dud ever planted in Paulson Stadium, and that includes Georgia State's win in 2015.
    +1