SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Hard to see Chestnut abandoning Bohannon to come to GS.

2. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Monken's predecessor at Army didn't want huge O linemen. Increase in size in their O line has nothing to do with regulations or PT test dates. Linemen (and heavyweight wrestlers, and large track & field athletes) just have to make weight and pass PT test before graduation.

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    (Assuming Brent Davis) Stealing Chestnut out from under Bohannon would be an excellent move. I know Bob Bodine isn’t popular but maybe he stays one more year since he worked with Brent at West Point. Dwayne Chandler on the other hand is more likely to go. I want a S&C dude off Monken’s staff. Look at how much Army has improved physically since he got there. Ahmad Bradshaw keeps getting better.
    Bodine could also coach other positions, as he did in his previous stop at GS.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I've read the disertation before, but you didn't answer the question about where all these players are at that no one else wants and that we are gonna win all these games with? The idea that we're gonna win all these games with players no one else wants is just a false narrative in my opinion. If we don't get our share of player being recruited by other schools we won't win enough to make us happy just because of an offensive scheme. Why do you guys think we're getting beat like we are? Not because of the scheme appy or troy or ga st are running, but because they have better players and are better coached. That's what needs to change.

Not much more i can add. Seems you guys have bought the farm on Davis and his version of the option.
    I think we actually have the players in house now. Plus many that we could have used in the flex system scheme didn't come here because we aren't running it. I won't conceded that Troy and App have better players than us. Also, you are right that it isn't the scheme that they run that is causing us to lose.... It's that we have no identifiable scheme on offense. In short, we've lost our identity, or have gotten away from it. THAT is why we are losing, or not scoring enough points to win.
    And our defense is young and keeps blowing it.

All those reasons are coaching problems.
    Plus, if we get back to winning, that will boost recruiting.
    Bring on Davis or Bohannon and we get to a bowl next season. We'd be challenging for the conference title soon, maybe 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Hard to see Chestnut abandoning Bohannon to come to GS.
    What would be a logical 'next move' for a guy like Chesnut? Depending on the role, whether OC or OL and something like 'run game coordinator', it would mean a nice raise and a move to FBS.
    Bacardi Bowl Champs - December 1939

6. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I think we actually have the players in house now. Plus many that we could have used in the flex system scheme didn't come here because we aren't running it. I won't conceded that Troy and App have better players than us. Also, you are right that it isn't the scheme that they run that is causing us to lose.... It's that we have no identifiable scheme on offense. In short, we've lost our identity, or have gotten away from it. THAT is why we are losing, or not scoring enough points to win.
    And our defense is young and keeps blowing it.

All those reasons are coaching problems.
    Plus, if we get back to winning, that will boost recruiting.
    Bring on Davis or Bohannon and we get to a bowl next season. We'd be challenging for the conference title soon, maybe 2019.
    Not asking you to concede anything, you have your opinion and I have mine. You want to put you eggs in these guys basket, I don't. You think our problems were all related to coaching, I think it was/is a mix of the lack of coaching and talent in some places. I agree that we were young in some areas and there is reason for hope there. I keep saying that I would like an offense that will be more balanced. Not sure why everyone thinks that crazy. You guys want to say that we can't get enough players to win with any offense, but the TO, I don't. I just don't want us to be pigeonholed in any scheme. I would actually not mind a coach that believed defense was the key to winning more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Not asking you to concede anything, you have your opinion and I have mine. You want to put you eggs in these guys basket, I don't. You think our problems were all related to coaching, I think it was/is a mix of the lack of coaching and talent in some places. I agree that we were young in some areas and there is reason for hope there. I keep saying that I would like an offense that will be more balanced. Not sure why everyone thinks that crazy. You guys want to say that we can't get enough players to win with any offense, but the TO, I don't. I just don't want us to be pigeonholed in any scheme. I would actually not mind a coach that believed defense was the key to winning more games.
    Indy, I'm definitely not one to argue with you about wanting a balanced scheme, I'm with you there. I had a question though related to something you've said somewhere back in this thread (I didn't feel like going back to look for it sorry) that you had an impression of Davis being immature when he was here previously. I was wondering if you had that impression during his most recent time while Monken's OC, or if it was referring to the 1997-2005 time period; or maybe you had that impression both times? Just curious since there was that gap in his time here if there were any changes. I'm not coming at this from a hardcore BD or no one mindset, but I do think he checks a lot of boxes from both camps and has a chance to be successful if he hires the right defensive guys.
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

I still think the only type option we will be seeing with a new hire is a spread option, I'm still thinking we will not hire Davis or Bohannon. Just my thoughts. An offense run from the gun with a strong balance of run/pass.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I still think the only type option we will be seeing with a new hire is a spread option, I'm still thinking we will not hire Davis or Bohannon. Just my thoughts. An offense run from the gun with a strong balance of run/pass.
    I would be ok with this. Essentially it is what Fritz ran, but with some TO eye candy to keep the defense on their toes. As others have pointed out, a lot of the runs we had were zone reads or speed options with a dive fake. If we can get a good spread coach who will heavily rely on the run game, with a mobile qb who can complete 50% of his passes a game I think we can be successful. We will always have good enough talent at RB to be able to rotate players as needed.

10. Default Re: Brent Davis Among Leading Canidates According to Football Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by boroeagle2 View Post
    Indy, I'm definitely not one to argue with you about wanting a balanced scheme, I'm with you there. I had a question though related to something you've said somewhere back in this thread (I didn't feel like going back to look for it sorry) that you had an impression of Davis being immature when he was here previously. I was wondering if you had that impression during his most recent time while Monken's OC, or if it was referring to the 1997-2005 time period; or maybe you had that impression both times? Just curious since there was that gap in his time here if there were any changes. I'm not coming at this from a hardcore BD or no one mindset, but I do think he checks a lot of boxes from both camps and has a chance to be successful if he hires the right defensive guys.
    I thought he had changed a lot from 05 to the Monken era. Honestly don't know about his time at Army. Hopefully he has learned that you can't be the same as a HC as you were as an assistant. As I said earlier if the committee is satisfied then I will be. The thing i wish i knew, but don't is whether his approach to offense would be more balanced if he were out from under Monken. By balanced I don't mean 50/50 pass run ratio, but merely having the ability to make defenses know we can/will beat them throwing the ball if necessary. That's the sweet spot with that offense, but actually getting there is really hard. Even PJ has a hard time with that, but when successful will win games for you. See VA Tech this past weekend.