SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabid Fanbase

1. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

I love how Everytime one of our idiot fans does something stupid, we got folks saying, "this happens everywhere."

No. No it doesn't.

I bet you Doug Martin wasn't spit on once in all of his time losing at NMSU. I bet Trent Miles was never spit on. We're getting what we deserve.

2. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I love how Everytime one of our idiot fans does something stupid, we got folks saying, "this happens everywhere."

No. No it doesn't.

I bet you Doug Martin wasn't spit on once in all of his time losing at NMSU. I bet Trent Miles was never spit on. We're getting what we deserve.
    This.

I have been to college football games all around this country and the worst fan behavior that I have ever seen with my own two eyes have been at Paulson. But we will put on this air of superiority when talking about other school's fans, while bending over backwards to rationalize our own nitwits.

We aren't any better than the rest. In fact, we're worse than some and need to do better or shut up about other team's fans.

Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    This.

I have been to college football games all around this country and the worst fan behavior that I have ever seen with my own two eyes have been at Paulson. But we will put on this air of superiority when talking about other school's fans, while bending over backwards to rationalize our own nitwits.

We aren't any better than the rest. In fact, we're worse than some and need to do better or shut up about other team's fans.
    Your comment is a lot like the tendency people have to think whatever city they are living in (or lived in the longest) has the worst drivers in America. Or like the things I used to hear circa a decade or so ago that UGA was some kind of hotbed of frat-party sexual assault that was being covered up by the administration. Or "Emperor Eagle" saying the whole Georgia Southern campus is overwhelmed with gangs and "certain elements" because of a few incidents on Lanier Drive.

I agree with your last sentence, except I think you might could argue fan bases ought to be shaming each other for bad things their fans do. Cleaning behavior up is a team effort that should involve calling people out on social media, in the stands, and on the road.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

This.

Yes and No.

The guy posts here. When he has posted, he's pretty much been rebuked across the board (no pun intended).

We definitely don't operate from a moral high ground when talking about other programs and their fans, but we do at least an average job of policing our own and addressing what I would term 'rogue' behavior.

The behavior of other fan bases is a mutually exclusive event. I've been to quite a number of road trips and have experienced the full gamut of treatment (great to awful) and am always pleasantly surprised when I have a GREAT experience.

If the worst behavior you've ever seen is at Paulson, that has been your experience ... and it is regrettable. That hasn't been mine, but neither mine nor your opinion discounts bad behavior in any case.

The adage one bad apple always applies, and I don't fault Deen for writing about this. It is news for our program. This typically doesn't happen, despite the venue. It happened because of access and lack of security ... something that doesn't happen at the bigger levels because getting on the field where the coaches are, is usually a significant hurdle ... even when you are credentialed.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

I've been pleasantly surprised to see the lack of venom on this board despite the catastrophic failure. This ain't pinochle we're teaching our kids to play here. I could link to hundreds of stories and videos of little league

parents getting out of hand. I've experienced the same coaching my daughters little league softball team. It's all fun and games and it's not about who wins or loses until you get pummeled 30 to zip. Parents come out

of the woodwork to show their displeasure with your leadership. We finished the season by beating the team that curb stomped us early but my girls never played softball again. Their dad turned into a drill sergeant.

This stuff happens everywhere not just here. Any notion that it doesn't is stupidity. Approach a football coach at this level having this experience and you can be certain a confrontation will follow. I'm kinda surprised

Keith didn't realize that. I guarantee you Zo reacted with an abundance of return fire.

6. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We should expect better of our fan base, but I will again say that anyone who acts like this kind of crap is unique to Georgia Southern is living in a bubble. And no, pointing that out is not the same as excusing bad behavior.
    +1000

Another comment: I wonder how many of the people complaining about fan behavior have actually called someone out who was out of line? I have, multiple times, and do it in a calm way.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

8. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Another comment: I wonder how many of the people complaining about fan behavior have actually called someone out who was out of line? I have, multiple times, and do it in a calm way.
    I have at nearly every game I have been to. And always in a calm way.

9. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

When there are weekly viral videos of fights and trashiness coming out of U of Miami and U of Alabama, I’ll continue to roll my eyes at comments about our fanbase being “the worst” and “too much”

y’all don’t see what goes down in the nosebleeds of the trailer park fanbase schools. I saw a grown man pour a beer on the head of a teenage girl when we played UGA. Y’all are privledged to think a single fan acting out means we have the worst fanbase.

10. Default Re: Rabid Fanbase

This.

clearly you've not been to Athens or Fla or auburn to name a few. anywhere you allow alcohol and drunks those things happen and we are no different and won't be different.