TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

1. Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Crack some skulls.

Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I just think that the remainder of the season is an extended job interview for this staff (be it for a job at GS or another program). IMO a interview is not the place for experimenting, I could be wrong, but I think their actions will be aligned with that notion, as well.
    Perhaps we have different definitions of "experimenting." I'm not saying "throw Hail Marys on every down." I'm saying, "Show us your stuff...show what you can do."

In other words, the way I am using the word, the opposite of experimenting is "change nothing and do the same stuff that isn't working." That, I think, is more likely to get these guys shown the door.

To use your metaphor of interviewing, suppose the boss was fired for incompetence. The vice-boss, now temporarily in charge, will not guarantee himself a job by saying, "I want to do everything the way the last guy did it."

TK pointed out the advantages of hiring an established HC who can bring a staff with him. That suggests a clean sweep could occur, especially if the new guy demands it. Lunsford might survive as a recruiter, and Cook has another year on his contract, but for either of them to stay next year it would help A LOT if we saw some creativity, new ideas that work, or any other good stuff that has not been shown yet this year.

However, if they are inclined to be conservative and play their cards close to the vest and change nothing, then I hope that's exactly what they will do, and good riddance.

Throwing 28 (?) short passes against Georgia State surely qualifies as experimenting, doesn't it?

Going under center is also experimenting, right?

Just because we're not getting good results doesn't mean we haven't changed anything.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Throwing 28 (?) short passes against Georgia State surely qualifies as experimenting, doesn't it?

Just because we're not getting good results doesn't mean we haven't changed anything.
    Actually, and I guess I should have made this clear in the beginning, that is exactly the sort of experimentation I was talking about. They've done a bit of it, although it seemed to be punctuated by long stretches of same-as-before-ism.

I want to see more of whatever they can come up with now that the season is basically lost. They should cut loose. Now or never. Maybe even try some motion or deception.

5. Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

I agree.

We have been trying some new stuff, but the foundation is weak. Coverage, tackling, and blocking are all still rough. Hard to build much on such a poor foundation.

I just can’t figure out how it got so bad-so fast. I mean, holy crap. It’s just been a couple of years since we almost beat UGA and Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Actually, and I guess I should have made this clear in the beginning, that is exactly the sort of experimentation I was talking about. They've done it bit of it, although it seemed to be punctuated by long stretches of same-as-before-ism.

I want to see more of whatever they can come up with now that the season is basically lost. They should cut loose. Now or never. Maybe even try some motion or deception.
    Yeah, I agree. I thought that getting that first win was a priority, but with our three main conference foes out of the way, there's not much left to get up for.

To me, the conservative playcalling has been very disappointing. Our entire season is "off-schedule" and "behind the chains," so using the PJ approach to play-calling doesn't do us any good. Minimal gains (and/or big losses) on both first and second down is getting us beat.

If I were Lunsford, I might look hard at play-calling responsibilities. If Cook's been calling all of the plays, maybe Wood or Bodine could bring a spark. If they don't, it's not like things could get worse.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I agree.

We have been trying some new stuff, but the foundation is weak. Coverage, tackling, and blocking are all still rough. Hard to build much on such a poor foundation.

I just can’t figure out how it got so bad-so fast. I mean, holy crap. It’s just been a couple of years since we almost beat UGA and Tech.
    No joke.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Maybe the offensive line was onto something, when they rebelled against un-learning their Fritzian blocking schemes, during TS's first spring.

The players are not getting a grasp on things they've been doing for 10 months. I doubt a couple of weeks to introduce something new is going to stick and carry over well to a game.

10. Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    The players are not getting a grasp on things they've been doing for 10 months. I doubt a couple of weeks to introduce something new is going to stick and carry over well to a game.
    +1

Exactly. We have been trying new things since TS left, I am not sure how much more we could reasonably expect to see in such a short period of time. I mean, we had like 4 days between our last two games.