SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    The players are not getting a grasp on things they've been doing for 10 months. I doubt a couple of weeks to introduce something new is going to stick and carry over well to a game.
    Not something alien to them, no. But we were all intrigued by LA Ramsby's comment about "things he had never before seen in an option" when Cook first started coaching. Presumably some adventuresome new wrinkles were being tested. If they exist, now is the time to try them during a game. And then there's stuff like putting a man in motion... not all THAT strange, and badly missed these past two years. And is Shea really too raw and limited, after a whole year of experience, to learn to do a read before deciding whether to hand off? Hard to believe that.

There may be things they have tried and rejected as too risky, earlier in the year. But now that argument is void, which I guess was my main point all along. Time to try stuff.

On the other hand, if we have seen all that Lunsford and Cook have to offer, then my reaction would be No Thanks. Let's try somebody else next year. Which I tend to think will happen anyway, unless there are more changes and successes. And surely Lunsford and Cook know that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Not something alien to them, no. But we were all intrigued by LA Ramsby's comment about "things he had never before seen in an option" when Cook first started coaching. Presumably some adventuresome new wrinkles were being tested. If they exist, now is the time to try them during a game. And then there's stuff like putting a man in motion... not all THAT strange, and badly missed these past two years. And is Shea really too raw and limited, after a whole year of experience, to learn to do a read before deciding whether to hand off? Hard to believe that.

There may be things they have tried and rejected as too risky, earlier in the year. But now that argument is void, which I guess was my main point all along. Time to try stuff.

On the other hand, if we have seen all that Lunsford and Cook have to offer, then my reaction would be No Thanks. Let's try somebody else next year. Which I tend to think will happen anyway, unless there are more changes and successes. And surely Lunsford and Cook know that, too.
    I think that comes down to blocking. I know at various points earlier in the year, myself and others were able to diagram where a wide open play would be if player X and player Y had made their block as they were supposed to. That was why I was so adamant that the scheme itself wasn't broken, but rather the execution. I think had we been able to execute well on some of those plays earlier in the season, we gain more confidence, become more productive, get some wins and our whole season could have a different feel.

Note: I still don't think TS is a good head coach and long term solution for GS.

The players are not getting a grasp on things they've been doing for 10 months. I doubt a couple of weeks to introduce something new is going to stick and carry over well to a game.
    Nothing's carrying over well regardless. But now the goal is not to win, but to find out what we've got going forward. I think we saw some good things passing-wise from Werts against GSU. Let's find out some more, such as "can Kennedy and Carter play offense?"

It's time to sit guys like Fields and find out what our other talent is capable of. It's been good to see Malik Henry emerge over the past couple of games, for instance. We know a lot more about his ball skills than we knew previously.
    Last edited by pete4256; 13th November 2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I know at various points earlier in the year, myself and others were able to diagram where a wide open play would be if player X and player Y had made their block as they were supposed to. That was why I was so adamant that the scheme itself wasn't broken, but rather the execution. I think had we been able to execute well on some of those plays earlier in the season, we gain more confidence, become more productive, get some wins and our whole season could have a different feel.
    Yeah, that part of the season is gone.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

nm
    Last edited by TrueBlueAlum; 13th November 2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yeah, that part of the season is gone.
    Yea I noticed at around week 5 we stopped caring about breaking down film in great detail because it was just depressing to see that again, we were regressing from game 1.

7. Default Re: Interim Staff Should Feel Free to Experiment

Maybe the offensive line was onto something, when they rebelled against un-learning their Fritzian blocking schemes, during TS's first spring.
    That's for certain.

I have no idea what they are trying to do most of the time. Standing around and watching people walk right past isn't even a scheme.

Maybe the offensive line was onto something, when they rebelled against un-learning their Fritzian blocking schemes, during TS's first spring.
    Do tell more....
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by GSCBBA1987 View Post
    Do tell more....
    You didn't use the sarcasm font, so I don't know if you are saying, "Duh, everybody knows this" or "What are you talking about?"

In case you want a review of the issue...

(1) When Fritz took over he was full of compliments for the offensive line. It was like Monken had left him a gold mine. "The best offensive line I ever coached."

(2) Fritz instituted interesting blocking patterns. At one point he talked about confusing opposing defensive coordinators by changing things blocking assignments week by week. (This is all from gsufans posts, BTW. No inside information.)

(3) When TS came here, rumors during early spring practice said the offensive linemen were dismayed. They were being told to forget what Fritz had taught them and adopt a new blocking scheme for the anticipated offense of Dean and Gillespie, and they didn't like it.

(4) A few weeks later TS commented that the offensive linemen "had come around" and were learning the new techniques (not like they had a choice about it).

(5) Meanwhile, just to remind everybody of the facts on the face of things, we LED THE F--KING NATION in rushing for two years under Fritz, off and on (YPP and similar statistics...I'm sure we didn't lead in every way, even once, but we did really well).

(6) With the SAME PERSONNEL (minus some of those good offensive linemen, but not all of them) we fell to near the bottom of the FBS in running in 2016. Even Matt Breida was made to look mediocre. It was the most dramatic demonstration of the powerful effect of coaching competence vs incompetence you could ask for.

So that's what it was about, if "Do tell more" wasn't sarcastic! :-) If it was...then look what you made me do.

You didn't use the sarcasm font, so I don't know if you are saying, "Duh, everybody knows this" or "What are you talking about?"

In case you want a review of the issue...

(1) When Fritz took over he was full of compliments for the offensive line. It was like Monken had left him a gold mine. "The best offensive line I ever coached."

(2) Fritz instituted interesting blocking patterns. At one point he talked about confusing opposing defensive coordinators by changing things blocking assignments week by week. (This is all from gsufans posts, BTW. No inside information.)

(3) When TS came here, rumors during early spring practice said the offensive linemen were dismayed. They were being told to forget what Fritz had taught them and adopt a new blocking scheme for the anticipated offense of Dean and Gillespie, and they didn't like it.

(4) A few weeks later TS commented that the offensive linemen "had come around" and were learning the new techniques (not like they had a choice about it).

(5) Meanwhile, just to remind everybody of the facts on the face of things, we LED THE F--KING NATION in rushing for two years under Fritz, off and on (YPP and similar statistics...I'm sure we didn't lead in every way, even once, but we did really well).

(6) With the SAME PERSONNEL (minus some of those good offensive linemen, but not all of them) we fell to near the bottom of the FBS in running in 2016. Even Matt Breida was made to look mediocre. It was the most dramatic demonstration of the powerful effect of coaching competence vs incompetence you could ask for.

So that's what it was about, if "Do tell more" wasn't sarcastic! :-) If it was...then look what you made me do.
    Thanks
    Poster formerly known as gudp1