SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Cal State in Hanner Tonight - Score And Attendance Predictions

Default Re: Cal State in Hanner Tonight - Score And Attendance Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    So far through 2 games our center position is giving us 15 points and 15 rebounds a game. Gave us 16 points and 12 rebounds last night. Glenn and Coye keep that up and it's going to be a very good season.

And like somebody else pointed out, if you are going to have a lack of depth basketball is definitely the sport to have it. I would like to have 1 more guard, but if Jones can give us roughly 14 minutes a night like he gave last night then we are going to be fine. As good as our top 7 are (8 when Gladden comes back), there's just not a lot of room for players to come off the bench. Especially when Hamilton, Simmons, and Gladden would be good enough to start for us in most years. We are going as far as those top 8 can take us.
    I might have just missed it but is there any timetable for when Gladden is back? Getting him back in the rotation will help our depth like you said and I can only hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    Statesboro kind of is in the middle of nowhere. And I would call traveling from Bakersfield to Statesboro on the difficult/extremely long side. I didn't take any offense to his comment at all. It isn't like they flew across the country for a H/H with Duke or UNC. Same for us. It isn't a great H/H for us and it will be a tough trip out there.
    It is 45 minutes from the airport. Do you call the area around Mall of Georgia the middle of no where because it is at least 45 minutes away.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    not sure where you see the lack of depth, IMO our depth and rotation looks pretty good, these new young guys have bought into the defensive system. I honestly think Cal Bakersfield came in here taking us for granted, we came out, got in their face and dominated, one of the best GS basketball games I've seen.
    I agree about them taking us for granted, their body language pre-game and during introductions indicated that to me. The return game at their place will be interesting, wish I could be there.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    not sure where you see the lack of depth, IMO our depth and rotation looks pretty good, these new young guys have bought into the defensive system. I honestly think Cal Bakersfield came in here taking us for granted, we came out, got in their face and dominated, one of the best GS basketball games I've seen.
    Agree. The depth will only improve if/when Gladden returns. He’s a real glue guy. He reminds me of a “lite” version of a PF we had in the Price era named Jean Francois.

This in-your-face D combined with the playmakers and spot up shooters we have could make us a real tough out for 95% of the teams around the country.

Also, Glenn is staying out of foul trouble and is in noticeably better physical condition as he’s beating opposing big men to loose balls and getting lots of put backs. Sure hope he stays healthy and trending upwards on the production.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    It is 45 minutes from the airport. Do you call the area around Mall of Georgia the middle of no where because it is at least 45 minutes away.

I'd say the areas surrounding the Mall of Georgia and the areas surrounding Statesboro are just a touch different.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBleedsBlue View Post
    Thinking about the game a little more, I think we left some points on the board, especially early when Coach Byington was playing with lineups (which IMO is the right thing to do this early in the season). But we were smothering them on defense and gave them very few open looks and harassed their big men in the paint. I like the athleticism of Jared Hamilton, David-Lee Jones, and Quan Jackson off the bench. We'll see if that group can produce much scoring when the starters are out resting, but it looks to be at least a good "penalty-killing" unit to use a hockey term.

I like what Byington did at Wake in playing our top guys basically the whole game and I liked that he did a hockey style line change last night after we picked up a couple fouls early. Because the reality is that if we go to OT against Wake with Ike, Hughes, and Glenn all with 4 fouls we probably aren't winning that game.

We will see how Byington handles the rotations as things settle down though, because yes that rotation provided little to no offense and killed our offensive momentum we had created. The good thing is that Hamilton and Gladden (whenever he is back) both have an offensive game off the bench so we won't lose much there. Now that Glenn is an offensive threat, there's pretty much no reason to ever have less than 3 "scorers" on the floor at one time. It's going to be tough to have less than 4.

Byington needs to make sure to do things like when O'Connell is in the game pair him with Glenn. When Gladden comes back then make sure he or Allsmiller are in the game with Coye is in there. Obviously foul situations can dictate things having to happen otherwise, but you get the point. Hamilton can score and play defense so it doesn't really matter who is in the game with him. But don't have Jones and Jackson in the game at the same time. Just little things like that.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 14th November 2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    So we're officially a basketball school now?

The team looked very impressive last night, especially on defense. Lots of good defensive rotation and never gave them a lot of open looks. And we look much better rebounding than in years past. I'm excited to see what we can do this season.
    Even though we know the answer to your first question, it isn’t difficult to project the hoops program as a potential “mid-major” power. The state of Georgia has become a real hot bed of talent. We’ve always had a modicum if talented players but it’s increased tremendously over the last 20+ years.

Not too dissimilar to Football, we should be able to attract and funnel a steady pipeline of solid hoopsters to the ‘Boro. I can’t think of a reason why not. Even though Hanner is still an intimidating place, when full, it wouldn’t hurt us to have a state of the art hoops arena with all the bells and whistles that would draw additional attention to prospects and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    I might have just missed it but is there any timetable for when Gladden is back? Getting him back in the rotation will help our depth like you said and I can only hope it’s sooner rather than later.
    I don't think any timetable has been given, it was just listed as undisclosed violation of team rules and unknown suspension length.
    Once won an argument with half

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I'll just have to defer to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Does CSUB charter their own flight? If not, then their would have a flight with probably 2 layovers. You would be talking about 10-12 hours of travel plus the hour bus ride to statesboro. That is what I would call tough to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    So we're officially a basketball school now?

The team looked very impressive last night, especially on defense. Lots of good defensive rotation and never gave them a lot of open looks. And we look much better rebounding than in years past. I'm excited to see what we can do this season.
    I know this comment probably isn't serious, but I'll comment on it anyways.

The football program isn't going to turn into Rice or North Texas because of a couple of bad seasons, and basketball isn't going to become Gonzaga or Creighton because of a couple of good seasons. Programs are much more inert to good individual seasons than people realize.

IMO, don't sweat the struggles in football and cherish the good basketball seasons, because this could be a once-in-a-generation run for basketball.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 14th November 2017 at 10:05 AM.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.