SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebacker View Post
    I don t think it is a given Lunsford stays if he doesn t get the head job. I could easily see him landing a FCS head job
    I agree. If he’s a finalist, there’s very little chance he hangs around unless he’s hired as the head coach. That’s a poisonous situation even for good people.

I’ve got no problem with the list. It’s notably short on names such as “Grass” and “Houston,” but otherwise that’s a decent group of candidates.

I’ll take any of them over a random coordinator.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i didn't realize Atkins has experience calling plays?
    Maybe we could keep Bodine.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle12 View Post
    Honest question, not trying to be a douche but what makes you trust McGee more than Lunsford? Just curious why you think he'd have better connections for assistants having only been a college coach for 4 years at 2 schools with another couple years as an analyst at a 3rd school? Granted Lunsford only has experience at about 4 schools but he does have around 10 years more coaching experience than McGee. Personally, I'm also a little cautious of who Chad could get for assistants.

Final question if Atkins is your choice for OL/OC why couldn't Lunsford bring him back if McGee could? They both coached 2 years with Atkins.

I never said Lunsford couldn’t. Again, my choice of McGee has to do with giving us a staff with both McGee and Lunsford on it.

I trust McGee because his coaching tree branches out a little more. Lunsford isn’t stealing anybody from Monken’s staff and do we really want to keep many from our current staff?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    i didn't realize Atkins has experience calling plays?

I donít think he does. But Iíve seen what his OLís look like. Itís not very tough to call plays behind those lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I do think Dell could build a more impressive staff than Lunsford if both are doing it from scratch. I think Dell is seen as a rising star in coaching circles. So the question for TK in that debate is are you happy with Lunsford trying to keep the current group or do you go with the buzz that Dell currently has?

Quote Originally Posted by cmaxwellgsu View Post
    I do think Dell could build a more impressive staff than Lunsford if both are doing it from scratch. I think Dell is seen as a rising star in coaching circles. So the question for TK in that debate is are you happy with Lunsford trying to keep the current group or do you go with the buzz that Dell currently has?
    I would think/hope that Lunsford would upgrade the staff in a couple of spots, or at least tailor it to his preferences.

I’m guessing we’d see some new blood on defense, especially. That side of the ball is improved lately, but Lunsford has different ideas than Summers did.

If there really was some kind of schism on offense going into the USA game, we might see a re-working there as well.

Ultimately, if we save money by hiring Lunsford, then we should let him spend a little more to bring in the assistants he wants.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I don’t think he does. But I’ve seen what his OL’s look like. It’s not very tough to call plays behind those lines.
    I wonder if we could give him a significant pay raise and a “Co-OC” title? How does his salary compare to, say, Cook’s?

I was getting very fired up a couple of weeks ago thinking about a coaching staff that included Brent Davis AND Alex Atkins.

We’d be the G5 Nebraska, or the G5 Georgia Southern, for that matter.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

What Coach L has done so far is great, take nothing away from him. He has the Eagles executing again, and we all know the offense Fritz had and that Monken had, if you could combine them and be consistent that would be the perfect storm for the Eagles. I have nothing but respect for the job he has done all along and I would love to see him stay on at Southern after this is over with in some capacity because as Erk would say he is a Damn good Eagle.
    All that having been said, if I had to pick between CL and Dell I am picking Dell everyday because of how well he recruits. If you get good players you can make a good team if you have decent coaches. I have no idea what either of them could bring to the team as far as assistants, but that would be my choice. Dell should have gotten the job two years ago but he didn't and we royally paid for it. Just think of it, we could have them both on staff right now.
    Could either of them be the worst possible hire, of course they could, but we will never know until we know.
    I do not know who would be the best coach/staff for the Eagles, I wish I did, but I don't. I do know two things, never, ever hire another person off that 2006 staff, and TK better choose wisely this time or he will be the next one getting run out of town.

9. Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

Am I the only one who is not excited about a Dell McGee experiment? To me he's just as much of a risk as Summers, right? Dell has never been anything but a position coach at the college level and I don't think one game as interim gives us much to go on. He might be an awesome HC but I think it's pretty risky. At least Lundsford has a lengthy resume as a college coach and 5 games as interim, not saying he's my first pick either.

10. Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

Whenever there's an opening at my work, there's an enormous amount of applications. Not all get interviewed, but they will interview everyone they possibly can within the time frame they have, even "those people" that employees hope don't get the job. Why? You have to, for a variety of reasons. Usually the person they want already has the job before it is even advertised, and the people they interview are really just building up their interview skills. There's the "hey, i got something for you..." then there's there's the official interview. I know this but I still get caught up now and then in the stupidity of the coaching carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Eagle Blue View Post
    Am I the only one who is not excited about a Dell McGee experiment? To me he's just as much of a risk as Summers, right? Dell has never been anything but a position coach at the college level and I don't think one game as interim gives us much to go on. He might be an awesome HC but I think it's pretty risky.