SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

1. Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

I agree 100% regarding Dell McGee. I don't really understand the reasoning behind wanting him at this point.....waaayyy too risky based on what we just experienced. We have just witnessed over the past 1.5 years what having talent but a lack of development/cohesion looks like. So the fact that McGee can recruit great doesn't carry much weight compared to many other factors that we require from a HC. And why would we think he has more contacts to build a staff? If I'm not mistaken, his only collegiate coach experience is 1 yr at Auburn as an analyst, his time at GS, and the past couple of years at UGA (all as position coach and recruiting). Not taking anything away from him and his ability...maybe he would be great.....but based on his resume, I'm surprised that we would even consider him a candidate at this point (if he really is).

Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

I doubt any other school would consider bringing McGee in as a head coach with the experience he has. He needs to be an OC for at least a couple of years. If he's thinking through this and can pull off a couple of winning seasons as OC at GS he can write his own ticket. May take a pay cut for a couple of years but he knows the potential here.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    I agree 100% regarding Dell McGee. I don't really understand the reasoning behind wanting him at this point.....waaayyy too risky based on what we just experienced. We have just witnessed over the past 1.5 years what having talent but a lack of development/cohesion looks like. So the fact that McGee can recruit great doesn't carry much weight compared to many other factors that we require from a HC. And why would we think he has more contacts to build a staff? If I'm not mistaken, his only collegiate coach experience is 1 yr at Auburn as an analyst, his time at GS, and the past couple of years at UGA (all as position coach and recruiting). Not taking anything away from him and his ability...maybe he would be great.....but based on his resume, I'm surprised that we would even consider him a candidate at this point (if he really is).
    I'm a fan of both, but some on here are chastising one of these coaches and praising the other when both were thrown into very similar situations. McGee didn't have to re-teach a workable playbook, but he did keep the team together to blowout a team far better than any team that Lunsford would have to coach against this season. Lunsford on the other hand had to rekindle the idea of winning at GaSouthern. Neither coach had a staff that they put together themselves, and if Lunsford is hired for next season, his staff next year won't look like what we have currently. Same with Dell a few years ago. In both scenarios you don't know what kind of product you'll get on the field the next year. All I'm saying is...if we didn't hire McGee, back then, we shouldn't hire Lunsford now.

4. Default Re: Dell McGee to be Interviewed

That's not the same thing, not even close. First ever bowl game, players loved McGee. Capping off a season with a bowl game win is far more motivation than the players had 5 games ago.

FWIW, no one that predicted a successful season under Summers should have ANY input on the coaching search. (See below)
    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Atleast 7-5 with a legit shot at 8-4.

Only chance of this team winning less than 6 games is if it's ravenged by injuries. Anybody predicting 4 wins or some crap like that is clueless. Post Arkansas St game is going to be fun around here to watch the crow being eaten. Heck, even post UNH is going to provide some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    I doubt any other school would consider bringing McGee in as a head coach with the experience he has. He needs to be an OC for at least a couple of years. If he's thinking through this and can pull off a couple of winning seasons as OC at GS he can write his own ticket. May take a pay cut for a couple of years but he knows the potential here.
    Ok and why would anybody do this? This is equivalent to your job telling you to leave your current position as an office employee and go to the plant to get experience just to become a supervisor all the while hiring people off the street for the same job.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    FWIW, no one that predicted a successful season under Summers should have ANY input on the coaching search. (See below)

Touche’ OF
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

I love this "take a pay cut" bull****. That's crazy talk. Ain't nobody taking a pay cut to be an OC or HC. I question the judgement of any coach foolish enough to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I love this "take a pay cut" bull****. That's crazy talk. Ain't nobody taking a pay cut to be an OC or HC. I question the judgement of any coach foolish enough to do so.
    I agree but I'm not so sure UGA is going to let McGee go so easily.
    Go Eagles!!

Quote Originally Posted by rbostic218 View Post
    Ok and why would anybody do this? This is equivalent to your job telling you to leave your current position as an office employee and go to the plant to get experience just to become a supervisor all the while hiring people off the street for the same job.
    I don't follow. Isn't it more like telling you you need some supervisory experience before you become a CEO?
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!