SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimbo Fisher

Default Re: Jimbo Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    I had to take out a loan to pay off my college tuition debt because the scam federal loans are handled by criminals who apply your payments toward "administrative fees" so you never actually pay the balance. Meanwhile coaches are getting paid more than doctors and my debt is financing all of it. Enough is enough. All this money shouldn't be in an amateur sport and public colleges shouldn't be in the professional sports business. Either back off the outrageous salaries and facilities upgrades or completely disconnect football from the colleges and let them operate as their own private sports club. I love football, but this isn't right.
    Most of the schools that are spending the crazy money take no money from student fees and quite a few send money from the Athletic department back to the academic side.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    Most of the schools that are spending the crazy money take no money from student fees and quite a few send money from the Athletic department back to the academic side.
    I try to explain this to people, but they fail to see it. Football programs are probably generally profitable. It's the associated programs that are added as a result that drain the budget.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Football and basketball pay for the non revenue sports. It costs money to field a track and field, swimming, golf, rifle, etc. They are cost centers. The schools pay for equipment, travel, scholarships and bring in $0. Athletics has proven time and time again that it helps schools with donations to both academics and athletics when their teams are good.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

4. Default Re: Jimbo Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    This bubble HAS to bust at some point.
    It is not sustainable and I expect that to come with the next round of TV contracts - about 6-8 years from now I believe.

From what I read, Jimbo wanted about $60mil worth of facilities upgrades to match what UF and Miami have. His salary wasn’t the biggest issue.

6. Default Re: Jimbo Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    From what I read, Jimbo wanted about $60mil worth of facilities upgrades to match what UF and Miami have. His salary wasn’t the biggest issue.
    Don't read too much into it. Jimbo tried to use stuff like that to leverage FSU every time a coaching position came open. This is the 3rd or 4th year in a row of Jimbo trying to leverage his contract with the help of his agent Jimmy Sexton.
    In reality, FSU has either built or upgraded or built facilities totaling $110 - $120 million since Jimbo was hired. That includes an indoor practice facility and stadium upgrades. The new ask was a "football only" facility.
    Robbie May
    SOAR - 1995
    BBA - Finance
    Class of 1998

FSU already has better facilities than Miami and UF. As stated, his new dream toy was an $80 million football only building. The admin has pushed back and suggested a more cost effective renovation of an existing building costing around $20 million. As has also been stated- it was probably just time for both to move on.

Another factor is I read a great article on the FSU Rivals page about how a senior Athletics official was the calming influence that kept Jimbo happy. Jimbo has always had a good relationship with the current President since he took over, but Monk Bonasorte played football at FSU and could always see eye to eye and calm the waters when tensions built over Jimbo's constant demands. Unfortunately Monk passed away from cancer about a year ago and the sentiment was "this all wouldn't have happened if Monk had been around."

It does make me wonder if Tracy will be that person for us for the forseeable future. The FSU situation is an example of how a key relationship can be the glue that holds things together in the face of a coach not having a great relationship with the President, AD, etc.

The only thing that can genuinely bring down the value of media rights is a decline in popularity in CFB and CBB. Yeah, ESPN payed too much for the CFP media rights last year but a big part of that is kotowing to the Rose Bowl so they'd be by themselves on NYD. Which BTW is another reason I think there will be changes to the CFP sooner rather than later.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

The football only building was an effort to compete with Clemson's insane facility moreso than UF or Miami.

Everyone forgets that Fisher is a Saban coaching tree guy.

Saban showed up to Bama and they opened every checkbook to give him whatever he wanted. Fisher "Sabanized" FSU when he first got there, implementing the same process that Saban uses. I imagine he also expected the money to do things like create an advantage through facilities, just like they did at Bama.

FSU isn't poor, but they don't exactly have that kind of money.