SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Group of Five National Championship

Default Group of Five National Championship

UCF is 12-0 and champions of one the Group of Five conferences. They have not been ranked in the top ten. The best they can hope for is to win their January 1 Bowl game against a team from one of the Power Five conferences. Western Michigan was in the same situation a couple of years ago. Given that the Power Five Conferences are by default the only conferences that are eligible for a FBS national championship, I wonder what our fan base thinks about a National Championship game for the schools who make up the Group of Five conferencess? I am not advocating a return to FCS. What are the positive and negatives if such a Group of Five championship were created?
    West Georgia Eagle
    Temple, GA
    Class of 1981

Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

P5 would demand we not get CFP payouts and would want to separate from us even more in that case.

The fight should be for an expanded playoff with all conference champions getting in, with the highest ranked G5 getting a spot as well. It would take an 8 team playoff (5 Conference champions, 2 at large, 1 G5).

I want a path to the largest stage.

Quote Originally Posted by West Georgia Eagle View Post
    UCF is 12-0 and champions of one the Group of Five conferences. They have not been ranked in the top ten. The best they can hope for is to win their January 1 Bowl game against a team from one of the Power Five conferences. Western Michigan was in the same situation a couple of years ago. Given that the Power Five Conferences are by default the only conferences that are eligible for a FBS national championship, I wonder what our fan base thinks about a National Championship game for the schools who make up the Group of Five conferencess? I am not advocating a return to FCS. What are the positive and negatives if such a Group of Five championship were created?
    imo like I've posted before this will eventually happen, I highly doubt playoffs will be expanded.

4. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Expand the playoffs to 8 or 12. Only solution.

5. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Playoffs should be expanded with one or two prelimary games between G5 champions and P5 at-larges

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    imo like I've posted before this will eventually happen, I highly doubt playoffs will be expanded.
    All it will take is one of the big boys getting shafted because of the committee. It was set up to happen this year but it's looking like things will work out for the committee to make their job easy once again.

7. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    All it will take is one of the big boys getting shafted because of the committee. It was set up to happen this year but it's looking like things will work out for the committee to make their job easy once again.
    Bama could have been the odd man out, but it looks like they have a high chance of getting in now. Iím always rooting for chaos so that playoffs are expanded.

If UCF was 10-2 Iím 2016, then they would have started the season ranked. They would be in the top 10 now. Canít go 6-7 to 12-0 from a G5 school without a very strong OOC schedule to make up that gap.

9. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    If ESPN thinks they can make money off it, it will! 🤑

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Eagle Blue View Post
    If ESPN thinks they can make money off it, it will! ��
    +1, I can about guarantee you many many P5 schools ain't happy there is even an Access Bowl, let alone allowing a G5 team into a playoff system. Like the commissioner of the AAC said last week, "It will take a miracle for a G5 team to make the playoffs".