SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Group of Five National Championship

Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.
    Correct. UCF's home game against Georgia Tech was lost as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.
    My bad just looked at the schedule quickly..they were still on there. Still you cant have an FCS on the schedule as a G5 and hope to even make an 8 team playoff likely. No G5 conference games will ever match up head to head in total. Saying you played a full FBS schedule would be to have on your resume. Really does not matter with just four unless the stars aligned but if they expand to 8 and I am a top 25ish G5 I am going for it and going full FBS.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    My bad just looked at the schedule quickly..they were still on there. Still you cant have an FCS on the schedule as a G5 and hope to even make an 8 team playoff likely. No G5 conference games will ever match up head to head in total. Saying you played a full FBS schedule would be to have on your resume. Really does not matter with just four unless the stars aligned but if they expand to 8 and I am a top 25ish G5 I am going for it and going full FBS.
    So hypothetically, do you believe that if UCF had gotten to play Tech (and assuming Tech had won the 3 nailbiters they lost and was an 8-3 team) and defeated them by double digits that it would have made a difference? I don't think it would have gotten them into the top 4 or even top 6 but they certainly could be in the top 10.

Joey Galloway made a good point about this yesterday, that UCF kinda came out of nowhere so they really didn't have the respect of the pollsters coming into and then throughout the season. He thinks they have earned it to an extent this year (and truly will if they beat the barners) and that will benefit them going forward, say if they go 12-0 next year they will have a better shot- ala Boise State during the Chris Peterson/Kellen Moore era.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    So hypothetically, do you believe that if UCF had gotten to play Tech (and assuming Tech had won the 3 nailbiters they lost and was an 8-3 team) and defeated them by double digits that it would have made a difference? I don't think it would have gotten them into the top 4 or even top 6 but they certainly could be in the top 10.

Joey Galloway made a good point about this yesterday, that UCF kinda came out of nowhere so they really didn't have the respect of the pollsters coming into and then throughout the season. He thinks they have earned it to an extent this year (and truly will if they beat the barners) and that will benefit them going forward, say if they go 12-0 next year they will have a better shot- ala Boise State during the Chris Peterson/Kellen Moore era.
    I just said with four it did not matter with 8 yes with a full FBS schedule. Obviously some luck would have to be involved as you cant control an FSU type melt down OOC. Also the comittee has the multi year thing blocked as they say they only look at the current season. They do that so a Boise type run will not factor in, the corrupt are not dumb.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    I just said with four it did not matter with 8 yes with a full FBS schedule. Obviously some luck would have to be involved as you cant control an FSU type melt down OOC. Also the comittee has the multi year thing blocked as they say they only look at the current season. They do that so a Boise type run will not factor in, the corrupt are not dumb.
    +1

Believe we need to expand to 8 or 12 teams with the 1 and 2 seed having a bye the first week. Teams also need to take care of business during the regular season and not get beat by a team over 30+ points like Ohio State did. I do think the Committee got it right this year by picking Alabama over Ohio State. If I remember the Big Ten teams haven't even shown up the last several years when they did get in the playoffs. Tired of hearing they are the best Conference.

Alabam played nobody all season. Got destroyed by the only good team they played. Didn’t play a conference championship. My beef is not necessarily with Ohio State. But why not Wisconsin? They won one more game than Alabama. Lost to a top 5 team in a really good game in a conference championship. Wisconsin and Alabama’s schedules are a doppelgänger
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Alabam played nobody all season. Got destroyed by the only good team they played. Didn’t play a conference championship. My beef is not necessarily with Ohio State. But why not Wisconsin? They won one more game than Alabama. Lost to a top 5 team in a really good game in a conference championship. Wisconsin and Alabama’s schedules are a doppelgänger
    Can't put Wisconsin in the day after they lose to Ohio State.

If UCF had scheduled a couple decent P5's that were top 15-20 and won those and still remained undefeated then they may have gotten some consideration. thats the only way I see a team like us or them making it. You would have to go undefeated plus have a couple top 10 wins under you belt as well. Problem is getting any of those guys to schedule you.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

Quote Originally Posted by parr90 View Post
    If UCF had scheduled a couple decent P5's that were top 15-20 and won those and still remained undefeated then they may have gotten some consideration. thats the only way I see a team like us or them making it. You would have to go undefeated plus have a couple top 10 wins under you belt as well. Problem is getting any of those guys to schedule you.
    The other side of that equation is will those teams be top 10-20 when you actually get to play them? Schedules are being made 5-10 years out these days. A team that's top 10 right now might not be when you get the chance to play them, and you're back to "well they haven't played anybody."