SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Group of Five National Championship

  1. #41

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.
    Correct. UCF's home game against Georgia Tech was lost as a result.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.
    My bad just looked at the schedule quickly..they were still on there. Still you cant have an FCS on the schedule as a G5 and hope to even make an 8 team playoff likely. No G5 conference games will ever match up head to head in total. Saying you played a full FBS schedule would be to have on your resume. Really does not matter with just four unless the stars aligned but if they expand to 8 and I am a top 25ish G5 I am going for it and going full FBS.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    My bad just looked at the schedule quickly..they were still on there. Still you cant have an FCS on the schedule as a G5 and hope to even make an 8 team playoff likely. No G5 conference games will ever match up head to head in total. Saying you played a full FBS schedule would be to have on your resume. Really does not matter with just four unless the stars aligned but if they expand to 8 and I am a top 25ish G5 I am going for it and going full FBS.
    So hypothetically, do you believe that if UCF had gotten to play Tech (and assuming Tech had won the 3 nailbiters they lost and was an 8-3 team) and defeated them by double digits that it would have made a difference? I don't think it would have gotten them into the top 4 or even top 6 but they certainly could be in the top 10.

    Joey Galloway made a good point about this yesterday, that UCF kinda came out of nowhere so they really didn't have the respect of the pollsters coming into and then throughout the season. He thinks they have earned it to an extent this year (and truly will if they beat the barners) and that will benefit them going forward, say if they go 12-0 next year they will have a better shot- ala Boise State during the Chris Peterson/Kellen Moore era.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    So hypothetically, do you believe that if UCF had gotten to play Tech (and assuming Tech had won the 3 nailbiters they lost and was an 8-3 team) and defeated them by double digits that it would have made a difference? I don't think it would have gotten them into the top 4 or even top 6 but they certainly could be in the top 10.

    Joey Galloway made a good point about this yesterday, that UCF kinda came out of nowhere so they really didn't have the respect of the pollsters coming into and then throughout the season. He thinks they have earned it to an extent this year (and truly will if they beat the barners) and that will benefit them going forward, say if they go 12-0 next year they will have a better shot- ala Boise State during the Chris Peterson/Kellen Moore era.
    I just said with four it did not matter with 8 yes with a full FBS schedule. Obviously some luck would have to be involved as you cant control an FSU type melt down OOC. Also the comittee has the multi year thing blocked as they say they only look at the current season. They do that so a Boise type run will not factor in, the corrupt are not dumb.

    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Statesboro
    Posts
    25,018

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    I just said with four it did not matter with 8 yes with a full FBS schedule. Obviously some luck would have to be involved as you cant control an FSU type melt down OOC. Also the comittee has the multi year thing blocked as they say they only look at the current season. They do that so a Boise type run will not factor in, the corrupt are not dumb.
    +1

  6. #46

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Believe we need to expand to 8 or 12 teams with the 1 and 2 seed having a bye the first week. Teams also need to take care of business during the regular season and not get beat by a team over 30+ points like Ohio State did. I do think the Committee got it right this year by picking Alabama over Ohio State. If I remember the Big Ten teams haven't even shown up the last several years when they did get in the playoffs. Tired of hearing they are the best Conference.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Alabam played nobody all season. Got destroyed by the only good team they played. Didn’t play a conference championship. My beef is not necessarily with Ohio State. But why not Wisconsin? They won one more game than Alabama. Lost to a top 5 team in a really good game in a conference championship. Wisconsin and Alabama’s schedules are a doppelgänger
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

  8. #48

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Alabam played nobody all season. Got destroyed by the only good team they played. Didn’t play a conference championship. My beef is not necessarily with Ohio State. But why not Wisconsin? They won one more game than Alabama. Lost to a top 5 team in a really good game in a conference championship. Wisconsin and Alabama’s schedules are a doppelgänger
    Can't put Wisconsin in the day after they lose to Ohio State.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ga
    Posts
    5,944

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    If UCF had scheduled a couple decent P5's that were top 15-20 and won those and still remained undefeated then they may have gotten some consideration. thats the only way I see a team like us or them making it. You would have to go undefeated plus have a couple top 10 wins under you belt as well. Problem is getting any of those guys to schedule you.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

    "Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    23,549

    Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

    Quote Originally Posted by parr90 View Post
    If UCF had scheduled a couple decent P5's that were top 15-20 and won those and still remained undefeated then they may have gotten some consideration. thats the only way I see a team like us or them making it. You would have to go undefeated plus have a couple top 10 wins under you belt as well. Problem is getting any of those guys to schedule you.
    The other side of that equation is will those teams be top 10-20 when you actually get to play them? Schedules are being made 5-10 years out these days. A team that's top 10 right now might not be when you get the chance to play them, and you're back to "well they haven't played anybody."


Similar Threads

  1. National Championship ring
    By TrueBlueGSU in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18th February 2013, 09:10 PM
  2. National Championship Tickets
    By kakat10 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th December 2012, 11:11 PM
  3. GSU gets ANOTHER National Championship
    By GSU08 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th April 2012, 04:09 PM
  4. National Championship Flags!!!
    By EagleBeast in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 18th September 2010, 03:03 PM
  5. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 3rd February 2009, 07:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •