SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Group of Five National Championship

Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    A G5 playoff/championship would just show that G5 is the equivelent of 1-AA of the old days, and that everyone has moved up a theoretical step to get back to where they originally were.
    It sounds extreme, but it would make more sense for the P5s to form their own league outside of the NCAA, and leave the rest of us to play college football, while they play minor league to the pros.
    In the current structure of colleg football, cost-containment models and non-P5 championship tournaments are paths to a ghetto.

We already saw this in I-AA. While the ghetto initially worked by shielding I-AA teams from the rising costs of college football and by giving them a good championship format, after awhile (like all ghettos) I-AA became a way to keep member programs from sharing in the massive growth of I-A football. The barrier between the two subdivisions tended to make the smaller programs smaller (if only by comparison) while, ironically, incentivizing the best ones to move “up.”

Good G5s won’t accept such a ghetto. Many of them have proud histories with moments of big-time glory (SMU, Houston, service academies, et al.). They will NOT allow themselves to be placed in a ghetto like I-AA, in which the long-term path is to extinction at worst or irrelevance at best, not to increased competitiveness with “bigger” programs.

What we need is a constant stream of Utahs, Boise States, NIUs, and UCFs knocking at the door of the playoff system. The natural tendency of a playoff system is expansion, so that has to be the long-term goal for G5 programs (just as it was for partial scholarship FCS teams).
    Last edited by pete4256; 3rd December 2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cybereagle View Post
    With the NfL in disarray right now - the ncaa would be wise to expand the playoff now - more $$ more opportunity for the big boys and the sunbelt’s of the world
    Yep. It’s good for almost everybody.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by blueisbetterthanpurple View Post
    Bama could have been the odd man out, but it looks like they have a high chance of getting in now. I’m always rooting for chaos so that playoffs are expanded.
    This is how I feel. Constantly pulling for upsets to the CFP favorites keeps me interested in games I couldn't otherwise care less about. Always hoping for a debacle and controversy with the final playoff rankings.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    P5 would demand we not get CFP payouts and would want to separate from us even more in that case.

The fight should be for an expanded playoff with all conference champions getting in, with the highest ranked G5 getting a spot as well. It would take an 8 team playoff (5 Conference champions, 2 at large, 1 G5).

I want a path to the largest stage.
    This would never ever happen, but I would love it if the FBS adopted the FCS playoff format. Reduce the regular season to 10 games and keep the conference championships. If you win your conference, you’re guaranteed a spot. Top 8 teams get byes.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    This would never ever happen, but I would love it if the FBS adopted the FCS playoff format. Reduce the regular season to 10 games and keep the conference championships. If you win your conference, you’re guaranteed a spot. Top 8 teams get byes.
    Top 8 get byes?
    Then how many are you going to put in? The numbers have to add up.
    If 8 teams have a bye, then the you must plan on each of those getting a team to play in the second round.
    So you'd have to put in 24 teams.

With 16 total, nobody gets a bye.

You want more than 16? Seems WAY... overkill to me. We are NEVER going to see that, and I hope we don't.

You can get every Conference Champion in with only 10, but throw in two at large to cover a Bama like deal for this season and a potential Notre Dame or Wisconsin like this year and you can be sure you've got every one. Then you only need give the top 4 a bye.

No G5 deserves a shot with an FCS on their schedule much less TWO...UCF had bad luck with the GT game being cancelled but if they had beat them and another FBS instead of two FCS teams they would have been a lot closer. A 11-1 AL still deserved it more but UCF's ranking was complete BS at 12. I think with a GT win they would have made an 8 team playoff.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by West Georgia Eagle View Post
    UCF is 12-0 and champions of one the Group of Five conferences. They have not been ranked in the top ten. The best they can hope for is to win their January 1 Bowl game against a team from one of the Power Five conferences. Western Michigan was in the same situation a couple of years ago. Given that the Power Five Conferences are by default the only conferences that are eligible for a FBS national championship, I wonder what our fan base thinks about a National Championship game for the schools who make up the Group of Five conferencess? I am not advocating a return to FCS. What are the positive and negatives if such a Group of Five championship were created?

No positives
    We'd just be relabeling that we're still 1AA, FCS, and oh look, now we're G5. May as well go back to FCS. It's pointless IMO to establish a "G5" playoff.

I'd expand the FBS playoffs to include all conference winners and 2 at large(12 total) Top 4 ranked teams get 1st round byes
    Last edited by oldfart; 4th December 2017 at 08:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Atleast 7-5 with a legit shot at 8-4.

Only chance of this team winning less than 6 games is if it's ravenged by injuries. Anybody predicting 4 wins or some crap like that is clueless. Post Arkansas St game is going to be fun around here to watch the crow being eaten. Heck, even post UNH is going to provide some fun.

The problem with expanding to 8 teams is that the best 8 teams in the country still reside in the P5 conferences most years. 2nd place teams in the B1G, SEC and ACC would beat the Conf champion in any of the G5. And, with the way the system is set up now, it is going to be hard for a G5 to consistently be successful enough to compete with a P5 and change the perception. As soon as a G5 school begins to do well, the coach is gone to a wanna be P5 school (See Houston, UCF, Boise, etc). The big $$$ in college football is at the top and is going to stay at the top, allowing those schools the resources to continue to be at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    The problem with expanding to 8 teams is that the best 8 teams in the country still reside in the P5 conferences most years. 2nd place teams in the B1G, SEC and ACC would beat the Conf champion in any of the G5. And, with the way the system is set up now, it is going to be hard for a G5 to consistently be successful enough to compete with a P5 and change the perception. As soon as a G5 school begins to do well, the coach is gone to a wanna be P5 school (See Houston, UCF, Boise, etc). The big $$$ in college football is at the top and is going to stay at the top, allowing those schools the resources to continue to be at the top.
    bingo, you said pretty much what I've been saying. There might even come a time where P5's won't even play G5's let alone FCS schools.

10. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    No G5 deserves a shot with an FCS on their schedule much less TWO...UCF had bad luck with the GT game being cancelled but if they had beat them and another FBS instead of two FCS teams they would have been a lot closer. A 11-1 AL still deserved it more but UCF's ranking was complete BS at 12. I think with a GT win they would have made an 8 team playoff.
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.