SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Group of Five National Championship

Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    UCF didn't play 2 FCS teams. The Maine game was cancelled to make room for the Memphis game (moved due to Irma) and Austin Peay was the backfill.
    Yeah, I love how people argue something with so much certainty and be such a blowhard, and then you can tell they literally just googled the topic two minutes before and didn't bother to realize the page they clicked on hadn't been updated with current information.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Top 8 get byes?
    Then how many are you going to put in? The numbers have to add up.
    If 8 teams have a bye, then the you must plan on each of those getting a team to play in the second round.
    So you'd have to put in 24 teams.

With 16 total, nobody gets a bye.

You want more than 16? Seems WAY... overkill to me. We are NEVER going to see that, and I hope we don't.

You can get every Conference Champion in with only 10, but throw in two at large to cover a Bama like deal for this season and a potential Notre Dame or Wisconsin like this year and you can be sure you've got every one. Then you only need give the top 4 a bye.
    In that example, yes, 24 teams like the FCS. I think 24 is way too much too, 16 would be a lot better. The only issue with 16 is no one would be able to get a bye. So it would have to be 1vs16, 2vs15, etc. Including conference championships, the max amount of games a team would play would be 16.

Seeds 1-5 are P5 Champs.
    Seeds 6-11 are P5 at large.
    Seeds 12-16 are G5 Champs.

The CFP has been pretty adamant that there won’t be an expansion. If there was, I don’t think it would ever be more than 6, with the top 2 getting byes. Even then, a G5 would never get in.

The CFP will expand fast enough to make your head spin if the B1G gets left out again.

They devised a system for 5 conferences with only 4 spots. They figured either the Big 12 or PAC 12 wouldn't get in the way. And the B1G won't sit by and let the SEC take over everything....no way Jim Delaney would stand for that.

If they expand, they'll have to throw the G5 a bone. The CFP is not run by the NCAA and is subject to antitrust lawsuits. That is why the G5 has the access bowl slot and the payout structure that's in place.

4. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

Quote Originally Posted by West Georgia Eagle View Post
    UCF is 12-0 and champions of one the Group of Five conferences. They have not been ranked in the top ten. The best they can hope for is to win their January 1 Bowl game against a team from one of the Power Five conferences. Western Michigan was in the same situation a couple of years ago. Given that the Power Five Conferences are by default the only conferences that are eligible for a FBS national championship, I wonder what our fan base thinks about a National Championship game for the schools who make up the Group of Five conferencess? I am not advocating a return to FCS. What are the positive and negatives if such a Group of Five championship were created?

Something like this is needed. Maybe a mid-tier championship series. Bowl games are cool, but the Tater Skins bowl is nowhere near as nice as another national championship flag.

Something needs to happen eventually.

With the way the Big 10 got screwed, I wouldn't be surprised if they start screaming for an 8 team playoff, with the P5 Champions getting an AQ. +3 at large bids for teams like Bama, UCF, and Wisconsin.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

I think it should be a 10 team tournament with play-in games for the 5th and 8th seed.

7. Default Re: Group of Five National Championship

A 128 team playoff:

At the beginning of every season, all FBS teams start in a 128 team bracket with the national championship at the pinnacle of that bracket. After opening weekend, aka the first round, there will be 64 winners and 64 losers. The 64 winners advance while the 64 losers will enter a loser's bracket with the rose bowl or some other higher stature bowl at the pinnacle. After week two, the 32 winners will advance in the championship bracket while the 32 losers will play the 32 winners of the loser's bracket in week 3. The 32 losers of the losers bracket will enter a tertiary loser's bracket with a lesser bowl at the pinnacle. This will continue until all undefeated teams will be playing for the national title, all 1 loss teams for the Rose bowl, all 2 loss teams for another bowl, and so on through the 7-5 team bracket. 6-6 or worse teams will end their seasons without bowls.

Honestly the best solution is 8 team playoff, the 5 power5 conferences get an automatic bid, best G5 gets an automatic bid, and 2 at-larges get in. That would be awesome. Seeding for the playoff could still be determined the way it is now, so the G5 doesnt always play the 1 seed first. I still think the playoff was a great idea, and it is still in its infancy

I say 6 with the top 2 getting byes. Higher seed hosts the first round. Then keep the 4 bowls in rotation for the semi's and title game.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I say 6 with the top 2 getting byes. Higher seed hosts the first round. Then keep the 4 bowls in rotation for the semi's and title game.
    IF they expand and that's a big if. I think your suggestion is 100% spot on. They will not bend to accommodate G5 conference, after all "we" got our Access Bowl, now don't get greedy(smile).