SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back seat driver

1. Default Back seat driver

Anybody second guessing the Lunsford hire after the Coastal Carolina game?

Default Re: Back seat driver

No more than before the Coastal Carolina game.

Quote Originally Posted by coastga View Post
    Just reaffirmed it, the USA and ULL games were a joke....as the following week proved. Nothing was "turned around" and if is was it was marginal which again when you are one of the worst teams in football does not mean much, we just played really crappy teams.

If I said the day Lunsford was tag the interim that if he went 2-4 and only beat ULL and USA that were horrible and then ended the season to a bad loss to 2-9 CCU not one person would say he deserved the job, they are just to weak or hard headed to admit it now. I dont remember one person saying anything other than he had to go undefeated and or at least beat App or Troy and GagSt game at minimum.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Yes, but not any more than before the game.

Georgia Southern is in a real precariously position. The Summers hire was an unmitigated disaster (and they waited too long to fire him too) and now the PTB's have doubled down on the unknown at a critical time which is a massive gamble with the future long term health of the program. I keep going back to Jeff Monken's comment when asked if GS should interview anybody on his staff, "If they are smart they will."

GS with the Summers hire has already squandered the momentum that Monken and Fritz left behind and if this one isn't a home run you're looking at losing seasons for the foreseeable future and all the bad things that come with them, like loss of enthusiasm, revenue, admissions, publicity, goodwill- and a far deeper hole to dig out of. I hope they got it right but I seriously doubt they did... time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    Yes, but not any more than before the game.

Georgia Southern is in a real precariously position. The Summers hire was an unmitigated disaster (and they waited too long to fire him too) and now the PTB's have doubled down on the unknown at a critical time which is a massive gamble with the future long term health of the program. I keep going back to Jeff Monken's comment when asked if GS should interview anybody on his staff, "If they are smart they will."

GS with the Summers hire has already squandered the momentum that Monken and Fritz left behind and if this one isn't a home run you're looking at losing seasons for the foreseeable future and all the bad things that come with them, like loss of enthusiasm, revenue, admissions, publicity, goodwill- and a far deeper hole to dig out of. I hope they got it right but I seriously doubt they did... time will tell.
    if that happens I would assume the guy who has made consecutive bad hires will not be allowed to make a third bad hire.

Honestly the game didn't really mean anything. It was more an audition for the other coaches to try to stay on staff

Quote Originally Posted by OliveBranchEagle View Post
    Honestly the game didn't really mean anything. It was more an audition for the other coaches to try to stay on staff
    It meant we were not as good or "turned around" as much as folks swore we were. I think it would have all gave us pause and Bohannon chances of being here would have shot up. Using TK's own words he waited until the 11th hour to decide so Lunsford in his mind was not the only choice. I think that combined with the two teams we beat losing bad or to another bad team and with Bohannon winning his second playoff game taking down the third seed might have tipped in Bohannon's favor but we will not know because having less information and data is always better to make decisions on.....according to TK. But in the grand scheme no, two bad teams seeing who was the worst did not mean much after the decision had been made.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

8. Default Re: Back seat driver

Quote Originally Posted by coastga View Post
    I'm surprised you have to ask considering it is our fanbase you are talking about. There are some on here who would second guess if we changed the brand of soap or paper towels in the restroom dispensers. LOL

Actually the same people who griped and whined all last week on every thread just continued the process following the game. You know the ones who seem to inhale the soul out of you when you read their posts... kind of like dementors.
    Ken Smith
    1988 -BS Computer Science
    Suwanee Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleEagle View Post
    if that happens I would assume the guy who has made consecutive bad hires will not be allowed to make a third bad hire.
    One would think that, right? And I certainly have no confidence in him at this point and I don't really know how anybody can, and you would still potentially have a huge hole to dig out of. I'm not saying it can't be done, look at UCF for goodness sakes, 0-12 trainwreck in 2015 to 12-0 in 2017, but getting a hire like UCF got in Frost is lightning in a bottle. Let's all hope Kleinlein found his lightning in the bottle with Lunsford.

Off topic a bit but for the life of me I still can't figure out why GS went away from the option and recruiting philosophy and player development system that went along with it, despite Fritz's success with his zone read scheme. You had the perfect storm- the tradition all the way back to the Hambone, the talent pool and feeder system with alumni coaching all over the state, the coaching tree, the branding of "Option U," the difficulty in preparing for it, and the 75%+ winning % and big time home field advantage, the mystique. The move to FBS could have really turned GS into the "Option mecca" trading off the "Option U" branding with camps, clinics, the identity, a true national brand.

I can't help but think of GS turning into the small school version of Nebraska, forsaking its roots in favor of decades of mediocrity and kind of drifting at sea, lost, not sinking but not really going anywhere either. I get asked that question here in central FL more than you can imagine, why did GS go away from their roots.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post

Off topic a bit but for the life of me I still can't figure out why GS went away from the option and recruiting philosophy and player development system that went along with it, despite Fritz's success with his zone read scheme. You had the perfect storm- the tradition all the way back to the Hambone, the talent pool and feeder system with alumni coaching all over the state, the coaching tree, the branding of "Option U," the difficulty in preparing for it, and the 75%+ winning % and big time home field advantage, the mystique. The move to FBS could have really turned GS into the "Option mecca" trading off the "Option U" branding with camps, clinics, the identity, a true national brand.

I can't help but think of GS turning into the small school version of Nebraska, forsaking its roots in favor of decades of mediocrity and kind of drifting at sea, lost, not sinking but not really going anywhere either. I get asked that question here in central FL more than you can imagine, why did GS go away from their roots.
    Simple answer: A cross-eyed man with a really bad haircut and a large ego wanted to put his stamp on our program. TK doesn't get it!
    Go Eagles!!