SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back seat driver

Default Re: Back seat driver

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Simple answer: A cross-eyed man with a really bad haircut and a large ego wanted to put his stamp on our program. TK doesn't get it!
    Same person? Serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    One would think that, right? And I certainly have no confidence in him at this point and I don't really know how anybody can, and you would still potentially have a huge hole to dig out of. I'm not saying it can't be done, look at UCF for goodness sakes, 0-12 trainwreck in 2015 to 12-0 in 2017, but getting a hire like UCF got in Frost is lightning in a bottle. Let's all hope Kleinlein found his lightning in the bottle with Lunsford.

Off topic a bit but for the life of me I still can't figure out why GS went away from the option and recruiting philosophy and player development system that went along with it, despite Fritz's success with his zone read scheme. You had the perfect storm- the tradition all the way back to the Hambone, the talent pool and feeder system with alumni coaching all over the state, the coaching tree, the branding of "Option U," the difficulty in preparing for it, and the 75%+ winning % and big time home field advantage, the mystique. The move to FBS could have really turned GS into the "Option mecca" trading off the "Option U" branding with camps, clinics, the identity, a true national brand.

I can't help but think of GS turning into the small school version of Nebraska, forsaking its roots in favor of decades of mediocrity and kind of drifting at sea, lost, not sinking but not really going anywhere either. I get asked that question here in central FL more than you can imagine, why did GS go away from their roots.

/thread

One would think that, right? And I certainly have no confidence in him at this point and I don't really know how anybody can, and you would still potentially have a huge hole to dig out of. I'm not saying it can't be done, look at UCF for goodness sakes, 0-12 trainwreck in 2015 to 12-0 in 2017, but getting a hire like UCF got in Frost is lightning in a bottle. Let's all hope Kleinlein found his lightning in the bottle with Lunsford.

Off topic a bit but for the life of me I still can't figure out why GS went away from the option and recruiting philosophy and player development system that went along with it, despite Fritz's success with his zone read scheme. You had the perfect storm- the tradition all the way back to the Hambone, the talent pool and feeder system with alumni coaching all over the state, the coaching tree, the branding of "Option U," the difficulty in preparing for it, and the 75%+ winning % and big time home field advantage, the mystique. The move to FBS could have really turned GS into the "Option mecca" trading off the "Option U" branding with camps, clinics, the identity, a true national brand.

I can't help but think of GS turning into the small school version of Nebraska, forsaking its roots in favor of decades of mediocrity and kind of drifting at sea, lost, not sinking but not really going anywhere either. I get asked that question here in central FL more than you can imagine, why did GS go away from their roots.
    Because TK is smarter than all of us.

The guy got lucky with the Fritz hire. He has no idea what he's doing. There was no good reason not to promote from within to keep the Monken momentum going.

Quote Originally Posted by BossDev/Eagle View Post
    Same person? Serious question.
    Yes!
    Go Eagles!!

5. Default Re: Back seat driver

Can we win in spite of TK? i sure as heck hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveBranchEagle View Post
    Honestly the game didn't really mean anything. It was more an audition for the other coaches to try to stay on staff
    I agree with this totally and I have no inside information to support my forthcoming thoughts. CCL required coordinators to do what he thought would be best for him to earn the head coaching position. Once he became head coach, he gave coordinators some flexibility to do "own thing" to see if they could earn their position. When you are in business all you can ask for is "clear direction" on hiring or firing. In my opinion they experienced what worked in the two wins and elected to go back to their own ways before the change. This made the decision for CCL very easy.

IMO the two OC's phoned this is in ... already knew were gone and didn't seem to give a #@!%
    Duane Claxton
    Savannah Ga
    Married into Eagle Nation 1994

I get asked that question here in central FL more than you can imagine, why did GS go away from their roots.

Were you getting asked that in 2014 and 2015?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by coastga View Post
    Anybody second guessing the Lunsford hire after the Coastal Carolina game?

Saturday was completely irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Were you getting asked that in 2014 and 2015?
    No, because GS was coming off the Florida victory (remember where I am) and was still thought of as a power running option team that beat UF with zero passing yards. A lot of folks around here were impressed with the 2011 Alabama game too.