SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SMN: Lunsford missed opportunity to reassure fan base

1. Default SMN: Lunsford missed opportunity to reassure fan base

"I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Default Re: SMN: Lunsford missed opportunity to reassure fan base

I also contend that we have some of the dumbest fans in college football.

Nathan Deen isn't impressing me much either. Purpose of the article is to talk about Lunsford missing his opportunity, but then there's this line:
    Faced with a fourth-and-5 on the Eagles’ 39-yard line, GS offensive coordinator Bryan Cook inexplicably called an option run that ended with quarterback Shai Werts being stuffed up the middle
    The HC made the call to go for it, which was a good call, but he tried to let his OC do his job and who failed. He also had issues getting plays in again, directly causing one penalty and causing issues at other times in the game. Said OC is no longer employed by Georgia Southern. I'd say Lunsford did what he was supposed to. I'm sure Lunsford was also the one out there flubbing kickoffs which led to us having a lot of bad field position.

We gave up 2 bombs that were really the result of great reads by the offense, keeping our DBs looking in the backfield. Maybe if our DC had understood more than just being hyper aggressive on every play then our guys would have played with a bit more eye discipline. It also doesn't help when you have guys getting a lot of playing time in the secondary that are walkons when there were higher rated guys that got chased out of the program by the previous HC.

Everyone would have loved a win, but really the game meant nothing in the grand scheme of things even if we hadn't promoted Lunsford before the game. 3-9 or 2-10 is still absolute trash either way. The season was lost already, the positive things at the end were just silver linings on a really bad year.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I also contend that we have some of the dumbest fans in college football.

Nathan Deen isn't impressing me much either. Purpose of the article is to talk about Lunsford missing his opportunity, but then there's this line:

The HC made the call to go for it, which was a good call, but he tried to let his OC do his job and who failed. He also had issues getting plays in again, directly causing one penalty and causing issues at other times in the game. Said OC is no longer employed by Georgia Southern. I'd say Lunsford did what he was supposed to. I'm sure Lunsford was also the one out there flubbing kickoffs which led to us having a lot of bad field position.

We gave up 2 bombs that were really the result of great reads by the offense, keeping our DBs looking in the backfield. Maybe if our DC had understood more than just being hyper aggressive on every play then our guys would have played with a bit more eye discipline. It also doesn't help when you have guys getting a lot of playing time in the secondary that are walkons when there were higher rated guys that got chased out of the program by the previous HC.

Everyone would have loved a win, but really the game meant nothing in the grand scheme of things even if we hadn't promoted Lunsford before the game. 3-9 or 2-10 is still absolute trash either way. The season was lost already, the positive things at the end were just silver linings on a really bad year.
    I hear you and don’t disagree on your assessment for Saturday’s game. But using that same logic, shouldn’t we give those same coordinators the credit for the two wins?

This is how the last three weeks have played out here, Facebook, and Twitter.

We win - Lunsford is the man.
    We win - Lunsford is awesome.

We lose - coordinators are terrible.

Right. Lunsford has shown nothing. I'm willing to give him 3 years to dig us out of this **** hole though. That's how bad we are now. With a competent staff and vision for the program we could scrape back to 6-6 in 2018. Said the same last year, but we ****ing bottomed out.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    I hear you and don’t disagree on your assessment for Saturday’s game. But using that same logic, shouldn’t we give those same coordinators the credit for the two wins?

You raise a good point and one that likely has merit.

However, it was obvious some things were different starting with the USA game. The question is who instigated those changes and why hadn't we seen them before?

It looked more like what happened Saturday was more of the same from before. However, looking at the analytics, the stats weren't THAT bad on offense, they just weren't all that good. The thing that killed us was field position more than anything.

I'll admit I've had issues with Cook all year. He's taken way too long to get playcalls in quite a bit all year. He's also had a lot of piss poor gameplans. Everyone knows the story about Zo and how bad our defense has prepared for games.

The players tried hard, but when you do things like have to scrap your entire gameplan when you go down 21-0 against Gast in the first quarter, you're out of your breadth. He also admitted in an article that we only had 7 plays on defense.....which would make figuring us out on film a lot easier. Remember CCU had a bye week to get ready for us. I don't like that we talked about how much we minimized our offense down, in terms of number of different plays, cause it does give a leg up for the opponent.

In any case, the well was poisoned and I think that they needed to go anyway. It's possible they knew that before the CCU game. How did that affect their thought process and preparation for the game? I don't know. I'm not implying anything but it's an interesting thing to think about.

I think both coordinators needed to go. I just can’t get over the hypocracy. It’s not unique to us and things could be worse. We could be UT fans.

I honestly think CCL can succeed. How much will depend on staff announcements over the coming days. The rumors are promising, but are just rumors.

Anyone got any insight into the issue of getting plays called and signaled in. That's one of those frustrating things to watch that you keep thinking we'd address, but never did. Did the staff not think it was an issue? What were the mechanics of our play calling/signaling? Hopefully all moot points now, just curious.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post

Another point which I suppose is now moot, but I'm curious to hear someone who disagrees with you explain this.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Anyone got any insight into the issue of getting plays called and signaled in. That's one of those frustrating things to watch that you keep thinking we'd address, but never did. Did the staff not think it was an issue? What were the mechanics of our play calling/signaling? Hopefully all moot points now, just curious.
    It seemed like a normal thing. We had signalers on the sideline with headsets on, so the plays were coming down from the booth. Players looked to the signal callers and got the play.

But we spent way too long getting the plays in. We also never really set up Werts to make audibles on the field, and he had to check with the sideline. Couple that with the aforementioned delay getting plays in, we spent a lot of time in formation looking/waiting for plays.

Until after Summers was fired, we also had a problem with urgency. We never moved with purpose, and took way too long once we lined up. After we seemed to have a "good" play in, we'd take forever to snap the ball. Some of that early on could potentially be placed on Werts, but when it doesn't get better (until the HC was fired) that's on coaching not correcting the issue.

In the past under Ruse we would tip our had to see what the defense was doing then call an audible immediately, reset, and snap the ball. Under Monken we were normally butting up against the play clock (you shouldn't be lining up with 10 seconds on the clock btw) so we didn't have time for a lot of audibles, we just did what we were gonna do. Hatcher ran a "check with me" system that was a lot more efficient.

Watching a lot of the "small stuff" related to our offense this year was very infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    It seemed like a normal thing. We had signalers on the sideline with headsets on, so the plays were coming down from the booth. Players looked to the signal callers and got the play.

But we spent way too long getting the plays in. We also never really set up Werts to make audibles on the field, and he had to check with the sideline. Couple that with the aforementioned delay getting plays in, we spent a lot of time in formation looking/waiting for plays.

Until after Summers was fired, we also had a problem with urgency. We never moved with purpose, and took way too long once we lined up. After we seemed to have a "good" play in, we'd take forever to snap the ball. Some of that early on could potentially be placed on Werts, but when it doesn't get better (until the HC was fired) that's on coaching not correcting the issue.

In the past under Ruse we would tip our had to see what the defense was doing then call an audible immediately, reset, and snap the ball. Under Monken we were normally butting up against the play clock (you shouldn't be lining up with 10 seconds on the clock btw) so we didn't have time for a lot of audibles, we just did what we were gonna do. Hatcher ran a "check with me" system that was a lot more efficient.

Watching a lot of the "small stuff" related to our offense this year was very infuriating.
    So the majority of the 'delay' was the signalers waiting to get the play call? That sounds like a problem. Surely that wouldn't be by design? Conjures images of someone looking, looking, looking, and then saying 'oh, the hell with it. Just run that same play again'.