SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

1. Default FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

Honestly, I’m kinda down on where we are at as a program. We have so much potential but i feel like we need better leadership with High Aspirations... Our next AD (whenever that may be) should come from a large institution. I say that because Dr Keel was tremendous and had a great vision.

Some of our hires and potential hires, IMO doesn’t live up to the GS expectations. Truth is some of our peer G5 schools are in a class by themselves.

This post is not to “cry” over anything but to hopefully see some growth in the future...

I wish we approach things like UCF and not like ULM...

We are FBS and we need to get out of our FCS mind frame...

Just my .02

Default Re: FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

Any school that wants to run an option offense (and it would be completely foolish to hire a pro-style guy like Mike Bloomgren or a passing offense guy like Josh Heupel), you are going to have to settle for non-sexy hires. When you make sexy hires you get guys like VanGorder.

Not hiring to make a splash or get fans excited if anything puts my mind at ease (not completely, though).
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

It seems like we are getting coaches from every era of Georgia Southern success. Not sexy, but also not a bad idea and full of coaches who love Southern

Quote Originally Posted by AceEagle View Post
    Honestly, I’m kinda down on where we are at as a program. We have so much potential but i feel like we need better leadership with High Aspirations... Our next AD (whenever that may be) should come from a large institution. I say that because Dr Keel was tremendous and had a great vision.

Some of our hires and potential hires, IMO doesn’t live up to the GS expectations. Truth is some of our peer G5 schools are in a class by themselves.

This post is not to “cry” over anything but to hopefully see some growth in the future...

I wish we approach things like UCF and not like ULM...

We are FBS and we need to get out of our FCS mind frame...

Just my .02
    Completely agree that a huge chunk of our fan base is stuck in the FCS mind frame and TK is not in the universe of the UCF AD as far as vision.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Any school that wants to run an option offense (and it would be completely foolish to hire a pro-style guy like Mike Bloomgren or a passing offense guy like Josh Heupel), you are going to have to settle for non-sexy hires. When you make sexy hires you get guys like VanGorder.

Not hiring to make a splash or get fans excited if anything puts my mind at ease (not completely, though).
    We did not hire an option coach, he may hire an option OC but he has never run an offense or called plays.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

While I can question some of TK's decisions over the past 2-3 years, I'm not holding him (or Herbert) as 100% accountable to where we are as a FB program. Losing Dr. Keel was a big blow to the momentum we'd built during our exit from FCS, and we are still one of the worst funded programs out there. You can only make so many silk purses out of sow's ears...until we get some money in the coffers we're not going anywhere. And yes, markets do matter, but only if you have a marketable product. That's why GaSt hasn't gone anywhere (yet).

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    We did not hire an option coach, he may hire an option OC but he has never run an offense or called plays.
    But we hired someone who has coached in this offense for at least a decade and the offensive staff are going to be guys from option offenses, too.
    Hey TK! Change the culture back!

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I agree, too many people are still in the Sam Baker and FCS mindset. I know English majors, that's 2 negatives in a sentence. People are used to the old way of doing things under Sam and in FCS. For example we heard a lot of complaints about the raise in prices for basketball season tickets. When in fact we are below the Sun Belt average even though we doubled or tripled the price. Our donations requirements for similar seating and parking are nowhere near the rest of the conference in football.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    But we hired someone who has coached in this offense for at least a decade and the offensive staff are going to be guys from option offenses, too.
    What is 'this offense' and how do come up with 'at least a decade'?

3 years slots with Sewak
    1 as HS LB
    2 as GMC LB
    4 as admin at Auburn
    1 as WR with Monken
    2 as TE with Fritz
    1 as TE with Dean/Gillespie under Summers
    1* as TE/interim with Cook under Summers/himself

Not reviving any old arguments about overall qualifications, but to your statement, that's 4 distinct offenses in the 8 years he's been an offensive coach.
    I hope we build a statue to Chad Lunsford one day and he elbow drops us to victory after glorious victory!!!!

UCF has one good year, now everyone thinks they are so amazing. Reminds me of the hype last year around the school Fleck left and Boise State before that.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987