SouthernFans.com
TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

1. Default Re: FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

Every school has a unique and different situation. To compare us to UCF or anyone else is asinine. Southern always used to pride itself on doing less with more back when we had pretty much nothing and unfortunately our donors still think that way. We can’t just go buy balls at Kmart anymore. Our fans want caviar but wanna pay for cat ****. Until we quit being so cheap what we have now is what we are gonna get.

Default Re: FBS school making moves on a FCS scale

Cal has agreed to a home and home with North Texas

We need time to get things moving in a more predictable upward trajectory. Adding Houston, Boise, and BYU to the home schedule is a significant accomplishment. As the future schedule fills out with more of the same and we get back to competitive play folks will calm down and the program will begin reaping the benefit of having solid FBS competition at home in Paulson. Our history in FCS can only do so much to gen up excitement and interest from a recruiting standpoint. We'll win with less as we always have until we finally have a little more. Hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    We need time to get things moving in a more predictable upward trajectory. Adding Houston, Boise, and BYU to the home schedule is a significant accomplishment. As the future schedule fills out with more of the same and we get back to competitive play folks will calm down and the program will begin reaping the benefit of having solid FBS competition at home in Paulson. Our history in FCS can only do so much to gen up excitement and interest from a recruiting standpoint. We'll win with less as we always have until we finally have a little more. Hopefully sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    Every school has a unique and different situation. To compare us to UCF or anyone else is asinine. Southern always used to pride itself on doing MORE with LESS back when we had pretty much nothing and unfortunately our donors still think that way. We can’t just go buy balls at Kmart anymore. Our fans want caviar but wanna pay for cat ****. Until we quit being so cheap what we have now is what we are gonna get.
    FIFU

We can't hold UCF's jock right now.

I also don't think out fanbase is cheap, I think our fanbase is broke (relative to other alumni bases).

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    We can't hold UCF's jock right now.

I also don't think out fanbase is cheap, I think our fanbase is broke (relative to other alumni bases).
    I'll keep saying this until people listen. Keel commissioned a study (it was once online in meeting minutes) for the capital campaign. Our richest roughly 220 alumni have the financial ability to donate $35M? to a 1 time special project. We have the money, problem is we don't have the support from our alum's and fans. Remember one of the co-founders of Zaxby's is an alum, it started in the Boro. The CEO of Chick Fil A is an alum. Luke Bryan as much as he loves that other school, is donating $10K a year. Remember the FBS study? Only like 10% of our fans donate, the national average is like 30%. The problem is people graduate, and don't come back. Most of my friends have not been back since graduating 20 years ago. I know more people through gsufans and the Atlanta alumni group that donate than the people I hung out with and went to games with as students.

Prime example of alumni disconnect. My friends ran into a fraternity brother at the CCU game in the stands. Apparently this guy has never donated before (they are all in the 50's age range). He was at dinner Friday with his girlfriend, it just happened to be where the team was eating dinner. TK came over to talk to him. I would not be surprised to see this person in the Champions Society very soon.

The obvious bigger issue is our alum's who donate and have season tickets to that school in Athens. It's an 1-1.5 hours away for a lot of folks. No hotels or 2 night stays necessary. Plus it's the SEC and a big time school.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by wonmoretime View Post
    Every school has a unique and different situation. To compare us to UCF or anyone else is asinine. Southern always used to pride itself on doing less with more back when we had pretty much nothing and unfortunately our donors still think that way. We can’t just go buy balls at Kmart anymore. Our fans want caviar but wanna pay for cat ****. Until we quit being so cheap what we have now is what we are gonna get.
    Got it so we are not comparable to anyone that has done better and have nothing in common with other G5 schools....we got ULM results the last two years with over double their budget actually they did better than us soooooo they are actually doing more with less our budget is towards the top of the Belt now so is our student population we will pass over 100 schools in size with the Armstrong merger. UCF and former Sun Belt team USF have done what they have done because of great leadership and great coaching hires we will see if it is three for UCF.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I'll keep saying this until people listen. Keel commissioned a study (it was once online in meeting minutes) for the capital campaign. Our richest roughly 220 alumni have the financial ability to donate $35M? to a 1 time special project. We have the money, problem is we don't have the support from our alum's and fans. Remember one of the co-founders of Zaxby's is an alum, it started in the Boro. The CEO of Chick Fil A is an alum. Luke Bryan as much as he loves that other school, is donating $10K a year. Remember the FBS study? Only like 10% of our fans donate, the national average is like 30%. The problem is people graduate, and don't come back. Most of my friends have not been back since graduating 20 years ago. I know more people through gsufans and the Atlanta alumni group that donate than the people I hung out with and went to games with as students.

Prime example of alumni disconnect. My friends ran into a fraternity brother at the CCU game in the stands. Apparently this guy has never donated before (they are all in the 50's age range). He was at dinner Friday with his girlfriend, it just happened to be where the team was eating dinner. TK came over to talk to him. I would not be surprised to see this person in the Champions Society very soon.

The obvious bigger issue is our alum's who donate and have season tickets to that school in Athens. It's an 1-1.5 hours away for a lot of folks. No hotels or 2 night stays necessary. Plus it's the SEC and a big time school.

Really though our history does not lend itself for huge athletic giving compared to like GaSt. Most of our older alumni did not see one GSC football game because it did not exist, the ones that did are just now getting there kids out of the house and through college if they had kid relatively soon after graduating. Most of our older alums went to a school mainly focused on teaching degrees and had a size of about third of the size GS is now. Much of this was stated in the feasibility study. We also played at least a decade too long in a division of football non fanatics give two craps about. This is why the the attendance remained about the same since the 80's despite the school and local area growing tremendously. Since the move we have set attendance, season ticket and budget records imagine if we had joined the Slum Belch or Sun Burnt conference like it was referred to back in the day. I dont blame fan apathy under the Baker regime I do more now as we are as high as we can be in football. At least the thUGA band wagonners dont have the FCS excuse anymore and are exposed for what they are now. It is not up to the customer to pay for a product in the future, our AD has to make the decisions that make GS football worth spending money on now for the fence sitting alum like he did when he hired Fritz a proven winning HC with a long resume. Win and they come and donate same for any school.

Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

JDC325: Please reread your posts #38 and #39. Part of a cogent rebuttal for what you state in 38 can be found in 39. Because both Florida (UCF and USF) schools transitioned to what is now FBS before we did and are in metro centers, they have become more valuable football commodities than we are. Additionally, they have been better nurtured than has Georgia Southern. Even though UCF was only started in the 60's, they have over 55,000 undergrads+ a med school. USF has over 30,000 under, 9000 grad, and a med school. So not only have they risen to a more prestigious conference through time and location, but think of the fees they currently collect, they have collected in the past (by 2010 UCF was bigger than THE Ohio State), and the wide range of lucrative careers they foster. The tone of #38 implies that we are sickly compared to UCF. I see UCF and USF in more aspirational terms. As far as coaching in FBS, we still have training wheels. we're more apt to get a Scott Frost facsimile than a Scott Frost, and a Charlie Strong doesn't go from Texas to GS. Our coaches leave and go to Tulane and Army; the Florida schools send their coaches to Oregon and Nebraska (and if they are George Leary, they go home).