Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Curry fired

Default Michael Curry fired

I just saw this on Sportscenter.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Nothing on espn.com yet. It wouldn't suprise me though.

scratch that.....http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4297296

If it didnt' happen this season it was going to happen next season. Detroit is headed in a downward spiral and it might be best for Curry if he got out now.

Is it too late for CY to hire one more assistant? Of course that would be awkward:

Sam: Micheal, we would love for you to come coach here. Now will you please donate the money for your contract?

That was certainly breaking news when I saw it. It wasn't even on the detnews.com yet but was 2-3 minutes later.

IMO he wouldn't have lasted past next year anyway. We are talking about a franchise that fired Doug Collins after winning coach of the year. And the same team that fired Flip Saunders for being Bobby Cox.

Detroit traded Billups to clear up cap space and that was a disaster as AI was nothing but a distraction to the team. Now AI won't even be coming back. The only thing it accomplished was freeing up cap space for the LeBron lottery next season.

http://detnews.com/article/20090630/...-Michael-Curry

5. Default

That stinks for Michael...always came across as a genuine class act. No way LeBron lands in Detroit. Those New York rumors and that ever present Yankees hat he wears may end up being true....uggh. I can't stand the Knicks.

Curry got thrown under the bus when Dumars traded Billups and MOL imploded the team. It makes me wonder if he knew from the start that he was MOL baby sitting the organization while they blew up the team.

He was the sacrificial lamb for management while they cleared the cap space to undertake rebuilding. He certainly deserved better from an organization that he played with for so long but at least he has his foot in the door of the NBA head coaching carousel. He'll get another job if he wants one, maybe not in 09-10, but soon enough, although chances are it will be with a lottery team.

Curry is a class guy and certainly deserved better, not just today but in November '08 too.

Man, Joe D. throwing MC under the bus here. Wow. That trade of Billups killed their season. Curry was almost handcuffed at that point. It does make you think that perhaps this was the plan all along. Find a newcomer to coach a year while they blow things up. Oh well, hopefully other GMs notice that too and give Michael another chance.

inhales vigorously but Detroit is kinda in a transition right now, they were going to do this, it was just a matter of when. I hope Curry will land on his feet, like back at the NBAPA, or preferable back with GSU.

Detroit is buying out his contract for $5M.

Sounds like a good deal for Michael. I would love for someone to give me $5M to not go to work.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987