Follow GSUFANS.com on
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GATA

Default GATA

I have only been following Georgia Southern for the past several months so there a lot of things about the traditions of Georgia Southern that I am not familar about.

One term that I have been seeing over and over again on this site is the term GATA. I know this term has to have some type important meaning to some Eagle fan's that I am not aware of.
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"

Get After Their A***s
    Get After Them Aggressively

whichever you prefer.

It comes from Coach Russell. He first coined it while the DC at uga, he then brought it down here to Statesboro.
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by southern edumacation View Post
    Get After Their A***s
    Get After Them Aggressively

whichever you prefer
    Sweet

Thank you Southern Edumacation
    I would prefer the First
    Last edited by ValleyBoy; 16th July 2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added

GATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CLASS OF '92

5. Default

He also said it could mean get after their assets when he was fundraising for the program.
    "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

Colin Powell

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyBoy View Post
    I have only been following Georgia Southern for the past several months so there a lot of things about the traditions of Georgia Southern that I am not familar about.

One term that I have been seeing over and over again on this site is the term GATA. I know this term has to have some type important meaning to some Eagle fan's that I am not aware of.
    Coach Russell noticed that Georgia Tech's athletic associations initials were GTAA. He rearranged the letters to come up with GATA.

When someone would ask him what it meant he would respond 'Get after them Aggressively' with a twinkle in his eye but everyone knew what it really meant.

Coach Russell. One of a kind. The ultimate motivator. He continues to impart his life lessons on the Georgia Southern family.
    Bleu (formerly Bcube) in the non cyber world is Bill Bates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu View Post

Coach Russell. One of a kind. The ultimate motivator. He continues to impart his life lessons on the Georgia Southern family.
    The definition of a true Hero. Someone to truly look up to in this old life

Quote Originally Posted by Bleu View Post

So true. Erk was special no doubt. Before every football season, I always watch the Erk Russell College Football Miracle Worker Video. If that doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperEagle View Post
    So true. Erk was special no doubt. Before every football season, I always watch the Erk Russell College Football Miracle Worker Video. If that doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.
    Where do you get this?
    "So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservation, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future." -Jon Krakauer

I've still got a copy of it on VHS somewhere. I wish I had it on DVD. If it's not out on DVD, then someone needs to seriously look into rectifying that situation. I still love watching that video.