PDA

View Full Version : When will we move up?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

SouthernM.D.
27th April 2012, 12:53 PM
So, it looks like its back to being a not if, but when question for us to move to FBS. So when do you think it will actually be with conference invite and all? Just curious.

I'm optimistic about us actually announcing the move with conference invite in the next year (again optimistically). This would give us a playoff for next year, would show potential conferences what we are actually building, and allow us time to build before we are officially past the transition period. I wouldn't be surprised if it took longer though...

Hail The Blue
27th April 2012, 01:03 PM
Well, I don't think we'll get an invite this year (for the 2013 season) so I'm hoping we'll get one this time next year for the 2014 season.

Hail The Blue
27th April 2012, 01:20 PM
I'll add that from the tone of Monken and Keel's recent interviews it's sounding more like sooner rather than later.

Can't wait to hear what Monken has to say tonight at the Sav Annual Eagle Club meeting.

Klak
27th April 2012, 01:21 PM
I'll add that from the tone of Monken and Keel's recent interviews it's sounding more like sooner rather than later.

Can't wait to hear what Monken has to say tonight at the Sav Annual Eagle Club meeting.

In Monken's WTOC interview, he kept saying "we'll be doing such-and-such at the next level" and then catching himself and adding "if we were to receive an invite".

So that sounds promising.

I'm waiting for E22 to weigh in on this issue. :)

Hail The Blue
27th April 2012, 01:31 PM
In Monken's WTOC interview, he kept saying "we'll be doing such-and-such at the next level" and then catching himself and adding "if we were to receive an invite".

Gotta get that insider wingnut info.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-W8Zb9_UhpH0/TjwAHrI9XgI/AAAAAAAAEvo/DTNoOn0k_V8/s1600/wingnut+in+a+suit+Like+The+Politicians.jpg

Eagle22
27th April 2012, 01:31 PM

Sorry I didn't see your text from yesterday until this morning. My phone battery died and I had to get a new one this morning at the Verizon store.

There are so many things in motion right now that it just is an interesting time. Whatever the timeline is, we have to mobilize the fanbase to get the support to materialize.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
27th April 2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry I didn't see your text from yesterday until this morning. My phone battery died and I had to get a new one this morning at the Verizon store.

There are so many things in motion right now that it just is an interesting time. Whatever the timeline is, we have to mobilize the fanbase to get the support to materialize.

Sound like an aspiring politician with that answer :)

Eagle22
27th April 2012, 02:34 PM
Sound like an aspiring politician with that answer :)

If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve ;)

(unless it is the Alumni or Athletic board .....)

Hail The Blue
27th April 2012, 02:42 PM
If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve ;)

(unless it is the Alumni or Athletic board .....)

I nominate you for head chef!! You served up some great humble pie to GataErk after the Statesboro Harold article hit! :)

Eagle22
27th April 2012, 02:50 PM
Panama and his Georgia State ilk will get their just desserts as well, I pray.

You guys really need to lay off of their forum, and stop engaging them on the interwebs. That would drive them bat-s*** crazy.

1peatfor7
27th April 2012, 02:53 PM

You guys really need to lay off of their forum, and stop engaging them on the interwebs. That would drive them bat-s*** crazy.

Oh man it's gonna be a great day if we join the Sun Belt and give State some epic beat downs. I'm talking Johnson C Smith. Keep the starters in and hang 100 on them.

Hail The Blue
27th April 2012, 02:58 PM

Panama can't get his fix. He keeps coming back for more!

gsuone
27th April 2012, 03:05 PM
Our first game in the Conference USA with the opening game at home on September 5, 2015....got this from an inside source who shall be named later

LEAD PIPE LOCK!

Eagle22
27th April 2012, 03:11 PM
If we were to somehow end up in Conference USA, I think the extra 900% site capacity I have will come in handy.

TheEagleWay
27th April 2012, 03:53 PM
Our first game in the Conference USA with the opening game at home on September 5, 2015....got this from an inside source who shall be named later

LEAD PIPE LOCK!

My heart leapt a bit.

It would give CUSA a Georgia school. How awesome would that be!

SouthernM.D.
27th April 2012, 04:13 PM

LEAD PIPE LOCK!

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfo61oDgIf1qfj07po1_500.jpg
"I just went from six to midnight."

Eagle22
27th April 2012, 04:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbQKSaYQD8

I would be like Ed Grimley if Georgia Southern ends up in CUSA.

GSUEYES
27th April 2012, 04:37 PM
You must say.

GSCBBA1987
27th April 2012, 04:41 PM
Oh man it's gonna be a great day if we join the Sun Belt and give State some epic beat downs. I'm talking Johnson C Smith. Keep the starters in and hang 100 on them.

it will be even better to hit the c-USA wide open.

EagleSC
27th April 2012, 04:44 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfo61oDgIf1qfj07po1_500.jpg
"I just went from six to midnight."

That about sums it up for me if this were true.

BrendanGS
27th April 2012, 06:10 PM

LEAD PIPE LOCK!

"Quit playing games with my heart" --Backstreet Boys

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
27th April 2012, 10:01 PM
"Quit playing games with my heart" --The Great Brittany Spears

Or the Backstreet Boys. Wait, did I just say that out loud?

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
27th April 2012, 10:04 PM

I will retire.....for now.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
27th April 2012, 10:06 PM

LEAD PIPE LOCK!

Lead Pipe Lock....NICE! I have no info, but something tells me it won't be the sunbelt. I still am of the belief it is us and App St in Conf USA.

TheEagleWay
27th April 2012, 10:21 PM
Dear God... I am reading to much into posts.

Hail The Blue
28th April 2012, 06:47 AM
I'm assuming that since it's a lead pipe lock that it's completely made up?

southern edumacation
28th April 2012, 07:03 AM

That's how I read it.

Sent using Forum Runner

SouthernM.D.
28th April 2012, 10:44 AM

September 5th is at least a Saturday...

BrendanGS
28th April 2012, 11:49 AM
If we were to get an invite into the CUSA, along with all the other stuff that has been accomplished by Dr. Keel, there needs to be a push for funding for a life-size statue of Dr. Keel!!! Put that sucker right in the middle of campus!

Walt3412
28th April 2012, 12:04 PM
What I like is that Dr. Keel and Coach Monken are talking about FBS to anyone who will listen. There is no beating around the bush any more with them. Teams like Ga St. and UNCC like to talk about how we have no shot because of market and all of that crap, and maybe we weren't on the radar before now. However, I believe you can make things happen if you push hard enough and are convincing enough. And I don't think these guys are going to stop until the goals are achieved.

EaglePA-C
28th April 2012, 04:29 PM
What I like is that Dr. Keel and Coach Monken are talking about FBS to anyone who will listen. There is no beating around the bush any more with them. Teams like Ga St. and UNCC like to talk about how we have no shot because of market and all of that crap, and maybe we weren't on the radar before now. However, I believe you can make things happen if you push hard enough and are convincing enough. And I don't think these guys are going to stop until the goals are achieved.

Amen

Klak
29th April 2012, 10:32 AM
Recap of the last few days:

UTSA is going to CUSA and UNT, FIU, and La Tech following. That takes CUSA to 12. UTEP will likely move to MWC, and be replaced by Charlotte (eventually).

The Sun Belt will need to add 3 teams to get to their desired 12. Texas State is next in line and should get an invite in the next few weeks.

Georgia Southern and App State are the next logical additions, but it seems that both schools want to wait another year. It seems like if we WANTED to move this year, we would have an invite, but I think we are wanting an extra year to raise money and do some additional prep work. As an added bonus, we get to go to the playoffs again this year. Any announcement made after June 1 would keep us eligible for the playoffs and have us entering the Sun Belt as a provisional member in 2014 and a full member in 2015.

This is pure speculation, but this leads me to believe that we will probably announce a move to the Sun Belt some time between June 2 and the start of the season. That lets us raise money with a confirmed invite, it keeps us on the same recruiting cycle as Ga State, and it keeps us eligible for the 2012 playoffs.

southgeorgia
29th April 2012, 03:05 PM

UTSA is going to CUSA and UNT, FIU, and La Tech following. That takes CUSA to 12. UTEP will likely move to MWC, and be replaced by Charlotte (eventually).

The Sun Belt will need to add 3 teams to get to their desired 12. Texas State is next in line and should get an invite in the next few weeks.

Georgia Southern and App State are the next logical additions, but it seems that both schools want to wait another year. It seems like if we WANTED to move this year, we would have an invite, but I think we are wanting an extra year to raise money and do some additional prep work. As an added bonus, we get to go to the playoffs again this year. Any announcement made after June 1 would keep us eligible for the playoffs and have us entering the Sun Belt as a provisional member in 2014 and a full member in 2015.

This is pure speculation, but this leads me to believe that we will probably announce a move to the Sun Belt some time between June 2 and the start of the season. That lets us raise money with a confirmed invite, it keeps us on the same recruiting cycle as Ga State, and it keeps us eligible for the 2012 playoffs.

i'm ignorant to all this realignment, but this sounds about right to me. i hope it plays out like this, and look forward to continuing our rivalry with app, playing mtsu and troy, and starting a rivalry with that other team that just made the jump from GA.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
29th April 2012, 05:24 PM

If the Sun Belt is the destination, I couldn't agree with you more. Clock starts ticking after June 1st..........

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
29th April 2012, 08:07 PM
I will retire.....for now.

So forgive me but I was like Farve and came out of retirement. :) I won't go over to Panther Talk anymore until we move to FBS. My retirement is official.....I think.

TheEagleWay
29th April 2012, 08:53 PM
So forgive me but I was like Farve and came out of retirement. :) I won't go over to Panther Talk anymore until we move to FBS. My retirement is official.....I think.

Holy cow, they don't like anyone associated with Southern on their board. Any attempt for civil discourse is met with the "your an inbred offensive" (straight fom tech/uga banter). Funny... Most I went to school with we're from inside or close to 285.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
29th April 2012, 09:21 PM
Take a look now. One guy on there is like........ I don't know. I wouldn't throw stones. They are sure are being vocal. I would rather not say anything in case it does happen because Southern fans will be insufferable.

At least one guy gets it.

Got 'em talking. They are posting savannah news articles etc. I think they are starting to sweat a bit knowing this is a real possibility.

They are so focused on May 25th no matter how many people bring up that nothing will happen by that date. It's so comical I keep getting sucked back in. But I will stop for now.

Klak
29th April 2012, 09:26 PM
Take a look now. One guy on there is like........ I don't know. I wouldn't throw stones. They are sure are being vocal. I would rather not say anything in case it does happen because Southern fans will be insufferable.

At least one guy gets it.

Got 'em talking. They are posting savannah news articles etc. I think they are starting to sweat a bit knowing this is a real possibility.

They are so focused on May 25th no matter how many people bring up that nothing will happen by that date. It's so comical I keep getting sucked back in. But I will stop for now.

I think it's funny that they're counting down to that date so that they can crow about us getting left behind.

Meanwhile, we're counting down to that same date so that we can (it would seem) make some sort of announcement.

TheEagleWay
29th April 2012, 09:28 PM
GStateBen must have had his heart broken by some girl who went to Southern, he is hell bent on us not coming up.

He also tweeted last Wednesay about Benson mentioning he didn't want another FCS school, FBS only after State.

Then Texas State happened.

What a jack wagon.

Klak
29th April 2012, 09:31 PM
GStateBen must have had his heart broken by some girl who went to Southern, he is hell bent on us not coming up.

He also tweeted last Wednesay about Benson mentioning he didn't want another FCS school, FBS only after State.

What a jack wagon.

Ga State fans are pushing New Mexico State, JMU, ODU, and Lamar (LAMAR!!!). Anybody but us. They're scared ****less.

TheEagleWay
29th April 2012, 09:35 PM
Ga State fans are pushing New Mexico State, JMU, ODU, and Lamar (LAMAR!!!). Anybody but us. They're scared ****less.

I have seen this odd assortment of schools on the boards. They really thnk NMSU is a good fit?

Can't wait...I really hope we get SBC. PantherTalk better not accept members for a few weeks after the invite.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
29th April 2012, 10:03 PM
I am telling ya. They are scared **** less that we make this move. Most of the posters on Panther Talk may be idiots, but I think they know if we make the move, they are toast. Recruits will come to Southern over Ga State if we are both FBS. It will be a much tougher road for them to have a successful program. The fact they are in Atlanta means nothing for recruiting purposes. I am convinced of that and I think they are to. That is why they mention teams that don't have a snow balls chance in hell moving up before us.

Like I said in my post. Their 15 minutes of relevancy will be over if we make the move.

eaglewraith
30th April 2012, 07:42 AM
GStateBen is a raging homo. BTW, I'm not doing this to retaliate, I'm cataloging this crap for future use. DO NOT start a new fight over there. I'm guilty as charged going over there and talking but I'm done with it now. I'm just gonna lurk and watch the stupidity grow.

If you believe one blogger who has not confirmed with a single Georgia Southern source. Not one. It was an opinion piece disguised as as news. No one is having conversations about or with Southern

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 07:45 AM
GStateBen is a raging homo. BTW, I'm not doing this to retaliate, I'm cataloging this crap for future use. DO NOT start a new fight over there. I'm guilty as charged going over there and talking but I'm done with it now. I'm just gonna lurk and watch the stupidity grow.

So now you see it ... let them keep flapping their gums.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 07:47 AM

I've thought about starting a thread with just his quotes. He is a terrible "journalist". You should have read a rant SaintDK10 made against him, he ripped him apart for being a phony. It was a public dismantling.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 07:48 AM

I hope we will be able to launch operation "Shock and Awe" on Panther Talk if we can get FBS.

Walt3412
30th April 2012, 07:59 AM
So Bennie boy is saying that Monken and Keel are lying? lol...methinks it's just wishful thinking on his part. Keep in mind this is the guy who hates GSU because he supposedly wanted to come play basketball here and we said, "don't call us, we'll call you."

eaglewraith
30th April 2012, 08:02 AM

I can't wait to post a clip from Tombstone on their board.

Everyone should know which one I'm talking about.

Klak
30th April 2012, 08:04 AM
So Bennie boy is saying that Monken and Keel are lying? lol...methinks it's just wishful thinking on his part. Keep in mind this is the guy who hates GSU because he supposedly wanted to come play basketball here and we said, "don't call us, we'll call you."

LOL ORLY

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 08:04 AM
I can't wait to post a clip from Tombstone on their board.

Everyone should know which one I'm talking about.

The "hell's coming with me" or " i'm your huckleberry"? both of which would work?

eaglewraith
30th April 2012, 08:07 AM
The "hell's coming with me" or " i'm your huckleberry"? both of which would work?

Hell's coming with us.

Fo sho.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 08:07 AM
I found the SaintDK10 post. This had to do with the Tennessee WR Rogers trying to transfer out.

Seems SaintDK10 he got fed up with Ben's so called authority in all things Gay State.

LOL!!! I had enough of this nonsense.

95% of Ben's "connections" stem from following people on Twitter or stalking kids on Facebook. Literally, pick a potential basketball or football recruit right now, look him up on Facebook, and you will see Ben is "friends" with that kid. The fact that Ben actually posted a Sticky thread about "NCAA Rules As it Relates to Communication" in which it's stated that "no season ticket holder should have any communication with a recruit" is just priceless considering he has befriended every potential GSU recruit to date that has a Facebook account.

The other 5% of Ben's sources were myself ("were" being the operative word because I had to cut him off after he PM'ed half a message board world about information I explicitly told him in confidence), a certain someone that used to work for GSU, and the countless journalists and radio hosts he keeps relentlessly e-mailing with pretenses that he's actually a journalist/writer. I mean literally, if anyone here had the time, you could send the same e-mails, get the info, and then post here "My man so-and-so told me..."

Now, I personally don't care that pretending to be some sort of insider on these board fulfills Ben's insecurities and the need to feel important, but when another GSU fan comes on here with credible info that a 5-Star recruit has intentions of transferring to GSU and is met with the comment "It's important to be first. It's more important to be accurate," I just simply can't take the BS any more.

For "Accuracy before being first" comment to come from a guy who has gone out of his way to broadcast to everyone how he has been the first to report this and first to report that, giving himself pats on the back for the most generic blogs on SB nation, calling out AJC writers that "he" was the first to report on the KH4 arrest... I mean, talk about some hypocritical, self-serving, insecure BS.

gsu01, a couple of years ago when you-know-who told us about Yandell and Gilbert transferring from GA Tech and I posted it on this board, the first PM I got was from Ben who questioned the validity of the information because he "talked to his sources." LMAO! Then when AJC finally put the story out, the first thing Ben did was post a story on his personal blog that started with "AJC has finally reported what we have been reporting for days." Just straight up sad.

Now, I have bit my tongue for years now about a lot of BS. When Ryan started PantherTalk, Ben first refused to join, then he joined but posted links to rout traffic to the stories on his personal blog, and now all of a sudden, he is the self-proclaimed co-founder of PantherTalk, talking about site usage statistics, traffic percentage increases, the whole nine yards as if he had ANYTHING to do with starting this site, let alone owns it. The first articles on PantherTalk were written by me, during which time Ben was posting stories on his blog to his 9 followers.

So look: I personally could care less whether this Da'Rick kid transfers here or not. We could have the entire Vols 1st team squad transfer and we'd be just as terrible because no amount of talent can overcome the ineptness of the clowns "coaching" from our sidelines. But when another GSU fan gets chastised for doing the EXACT SAME thing that the guys who's doing the chastising has done for years, I'll be damned if I'm going to keep my mouth shut any longer. The ONLY reason Ben is literally trying to prove that Roger's stats "were sub par for the SEC bottom-feeder" is because he didn't hear about Da'Rick first, and a guy from a "rival site" (or whatever the hell you want to call it) did.

So please, enough with Ben's "sources" and "rock solid information." This is all about a fragile ego that is interfering with a perfectly good story, whether this Da' Riiiiick transfers or not. Personally, I hope he does, because while I think it won't matter in terms of the win column, his name alone will get you 1,000+ extra seats a game, and that's about the only silver lining you'll get next season, or "so my sources tell me." </ARTICLE>

Klak
30th April 2012, 08:12 AM
This is how I imagine Ga State posters whenever news about us is posted.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5NNOrp_83RU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 08:16 AM
Holy ****. That was... Legend......

.....ary!!!! Legendary!!

http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2009-12/50938384.jpg

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 09:59 AM
Now posters are saying if we move they should have a trophy in our case becuase it was them that made this happen. Guys are lunatics.

Did their move maybe push things along quicker for us? I think so. But I think if you look back on Keel's comments since he started at Southern, this was his intention. The Soaring to Victory campaing in my eyes was clearly to set things in motion for a potential move.

If this does happen, I hope the Sun Belt is the right choice for us. I would look forward to pounding them in the Dome that they love to brag about. Funny thing is, since it appears the dome is going to be destroyed they may be playing at Milton High School. Should be big enough to hold there fans :)

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 10:09 AM
Now posters are saying if we move they should have a trophy in our case becuase it was them that made this happen. Guys are lunatics.

Did their move maybe push things along quicker for us? I think so. But I think if you look back on Keel's comments since he started at Southern, this was his intention. The Soaring to Victory campaing in my eyes was clearly to set things in motion for a potential move.

If this does happen, I hope the Sun Belt is the right choice for us. I would look forward to pounding them in the Dome that they love to brag about. Funny thing is, since it appears the dome is going to be destroyed they may be playing at Milton High School. Should be big enough to hold there fans :)

Of course it was.

People have just not been listening. Especially those who do not want to hear it (aka the Georgia State "oracles")

The funny thing is how folks say this was in response to Georgia State's announcement.

If so, I wonder what the Georgia Southern staff does with the time machine when not being used to go back nearly two years to set all this into motion ?

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 10:15 AM
Of course it was.

People have just not been listening. Especially those who do not want to hear it (aka the Georgia State "oracles")

The funny thing is how folks say this was in response to Georgia State's announcement.

If so, I wonder what the Georgia Southern staff does with the time machine when not being used to go back nearly two years to set all this into motion ?

They can start by going back in time and keep the parents of those state fans from reproducing. You can't fix stupid, but you can sure try to keep it from reproducing.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 10:16 AM
I pose this question since I am not as aware of some of the happenings in the past that you guys are. How much are the things Baker has said and done in the past potentially affecting our chances of going to the Sun Belt? Is his presence making things more difficult? Do we care because maybe the Sun Belt isn't our destination?

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 10:26 AM
At this point, I just don't see CUSA picking us up. Unless they want to expand to a much larger conference.

NMSU is bugging me a bit with the noise they are making. I know Benson wants to stay in the footprint, but I still don't want more competition for positions.

This wait is worse than the 2 week wait to play ODU in the playoffs. I need closure. Nothing is getting leaked out... if they (Keel/Baker/Monken) know something, they are keeping a good lid on things. Maybe Keel and Benson are using some US/Soviet back channel communication.

Of course, this would be the biggest news in the program's history.

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 10:31 AM
I pose this question since I am not as aware of some of the happenings in the past that you guys are. How much are the things Baker has said and done in the past potentially affecting our chances of going to the Sun Belt? Is his presence making things more difficult? Do we care because maybe the Sun Belt isn't our destination?

We really don't want to go there. Unfortunately, there is about a 12 year history of Sam publically (and in print) undercutting the Sunbelt and its composition.

In reality, there is a lot of damage control to be done. I believe that the Sunbelt however, will be in a position where they may be able to tolerate our admission for a variety of reasons.

CUSA admission would be an absolute coup, in my mind. If we were to acheive that, it would be beyond monumental.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 10:33 AM
CUSA admission would be an absolute coup, in my mind. If we were to acheive that, it would be beyond monumental.

Might name my first child Brooks then.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 10:33 AM
At this point, I just don't see CUSA picking us up. Unless they want to expand to a much larger conference.

NMSU is bugging me a bit with the noise they are making. I know Benson wants to stay in the footprint, but I still don't want more competition for positions.

This wait is worse than the 2 week wait to play ODU in the playoffs. I need closure. Nothing is getting leaked out... if they (Keel/Baker/Monken) know something, they are keeping a good lid on things. Maybe Keel and Benson are using some US/Soviet back channel communication.

Of course, this would be the biggest news in the program's history.

I wish someone other than Keel or Baker would leak something to the press. Then they cold deny it when questioned.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 10:38 AM

Absolutely! I truly think there is a shot for that to happen but it will be both App and us. Although I would be perfectly happy in the Sun Belt I think, something tells me it is the CUSA for us.

Anyone see App mentioned as a candidate for CUSA?

half-n-half
30th April 2012, 10:39 AM
We really don't want to go there. Unfortunately, there is about a 12 year history of Sam publically (and in print) undercutting the Sunbelt and its composition.

In reality, there is a lot of damage control to be done. I believe that the Sunbelt however, will be in a position where they may be able to tolerate our admission for a variety of reasons.

Could this be the reason that Keel and Monken have been the ones basically doing all the interviews about this or is that just a coincidence? Seems to me that a strategy of not letting Sam talk to too many people and also letting Keel throw Grube under the bus would be a good move.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 10:41 AM
Another reason is we would bring Georgia into the fold for CUSA. It is a big hole in their footprint. For recruiting purposes, I believe the State of Georgia still has the most D-1 football players per capita.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 10:42 AM
Another reason is we would bring Georgia into the fold for CUSA. It is a big hole in their footprint. For recruiting purposes, I believe the State of Georgia still has the most D-1 football players per capita.
This.

This has to be a huge reason for CUSA to look at us.

half-n-half
30th April 2012, 10:45 AM

What a jack wagon.

I love the people who say that the SunBelt doesn't want any FCS schools. We heard it before Ga St, then before Texas St, and we'll hear it again. Everytime I hear it I laugh and ask "well who from FBS are they going to pluck away?". When you are at the bottom of the totem poll you aren't getting teams from above you to move down. SunBelt has 2 choices....don't replace schools that leave or get FCS schools.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 10:48 AM
This.

This has to be a huge reason for CUSA to look at us.

Lets say CUSA is interested, I wonder if we are hurting ourselves long term if we are waiting until after June 1st to accept an invite therefore putting off our entry into the league until 2014.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 10:51 AM
I'm sure Keel/Baker/Monken strategy is based on whatever conversation they have had with Sun Belt and/or CUSA.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 11:02 AM
I'm sure Keel/Baker/Monken strategy is based on whatever conversation they have had with Sun Belt and/or CUSA.

Right. Another Strategy I'm thinking might be taking place is that maybe we already have a private offer. Rather than publicly state "we're joining ___________ Conference in 201_", we're keeping that close to our chests so Keel, Baker, and Monken can go on a huge funding campaign.

Think about it. If GSU came out and said "we have a bid", who here would up their donation, or try to get others to donate? Not many, because it would be perceived that if we made the jump, we could cover our finances.

But if they wait a year to announce anything and campaign the whole time... "We need money to move, help us raise funds!!" not only does it bring in a lot more money to help us be competitive at the next level, but fires up the fan base so when we do move, everyone feels like they helped and were a part of it.

cannonballgsu
30th April 2012, 11:05 AM
Right. Another Strategy I'm thinking might be taking place is that maybe we already have a private offer. Rather than publicly state "we're joining ___________ Conference in 201_", we're keeping that close to our chests so Keel, Baker, and Monken can go on a huge funding campaign.

Think about it. If GSU came out and said "we have a bid", who here would up their donation, or try to get others to donate? Not many, because it would be perceived that if we made the jump, we could cover our finances.

But if they wait a year to announce anything and campaign the whole time... "We need money to move, help us raise funds!!" not only does it bring in a lot more money to help us be competitive at the next level, but fires up the fan base so when we do move, everyone feels like they helped and were a part of it.

This could also backfire. If you have a bunch of fans waiting for that announcement, but it doesn't come in the (relatively) near future, they will lose interest and put their checkbooks back in their pockets. Then they will chalk it up to just another marketing strategy, and not believe it was ever the university's intentions to move up.

Also, when we announce, I won't increase my donation level as I'm already maxed out on what I can afford to donate. As my income increases, so will my donation level.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 11:08 AM
This could also backfire. If you have a bunch of fans waiting for that announcement, but it doesn't come in the (relatively) near future, they will lose interest and put their checkbooks back in their pockets. Then they will chalk it up to just another marketing strategy, and not believe it was ever the university's intentions to move up.

Well, they are doing that right now... whether we actually have a bid and are just trying to get funds, or we are actually needing the funds before we can get a bid is yet to be determined.

The fact that it could backfire in such a bad way (and Keel seems like a pretty smart guy) tells me that they aren't telling us the whole story.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 11:10 AM
Gag State lobbying hard for NMSU. I bet they have never heard of the school till last weekend.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=567569&page=4

SaintDK10 -

I understand that many fans on here emphasize a tight geographic footprint, but even with the addition of the two Texas school and NMS, the Sun Belt would still be the most compact school of any FBS conference. Padding the eastern side with FCS schools for the sake of another bus drive for a few schools is just bad business. By that logic, the Sun Belt should just merge with SoCon and call it a day. The fact of the matter is, conference realignment and structuring is a "Big Picture" ordeal, and not adding New Mexico State and UT-Arlington would just be a bad business decision all around, and one that Benson and Sun Belt school presidents are not likely to make.

WTF??? Your largest market, ATLANTA, would rather see App and Southern than NMSU. Are you kidding me?

I can't wait to trash these guys.

cannonballgsu
30th April 2012, 11:13 AM
Well, they are doing that right now... whether we actually have a bid and are just trying to get funds, or we are actually needing the funds before we can get a bid is yet to be determined.

The fact that it could backfire in such a bad way (and Keel seems like a pretty smart guy) tells me that they aren't telling us the whole story.

Whenever I get a little antsy and question which direction we are going in, I just remind myself that Dr. Keel is driving the bus and it calms me down :D.

GaSou93
30th April 2012, 11:32 AM
Gag State lobbying hard for NMSU. I bet they have never heard of the school till last weekend.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=567569&page=4

SaintDK10 -

WTF??? Your largest market, ATLANTA, would rather see App and Southern than NMSU. Are you kidding me?

I can't wait to trash these guys.

How much more obvious can they make it that they're pissing themselves worrying that we might get invited to their "party"?? Anybody with half a brain realizes what they're doing. They've been in less than a month and already telling other member schools what is "bad business"?? Dang.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:13 PM
Cruising on the SBC message boards... It seems more posters are mentioning us as a candidate they'd like to see join. Of course these means nothing, but it's nice to get some recognition from the casual fan.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 12:20 PM
You will find on there most of the people that have been around awhile would very much like to have us and App St in the Sun Belt. Especially fans of teams we played back in the day like Troy. It's in mainly Ga State fans that will absolutely not even consider that we could and will make the move.

Klak
30th April 2012, 12:20 PM
Cruising on the SBC message boards... It seems more posters are mentioning us as a candidate they'd like to see join. Of course these means nothing, but it's nice to get some recognition from the casual fan.

Most everyone on the SBC board wants us and App to be #11 and #12.... except Ga State fans. They want New Mexico State and Lamar.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 12:22 PM
They want New Mexico State and Lamar.

Ewww... how do you market that?

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:24 PM

I think the marketing slogan goes something like this:

"Anyone but Southern, Anyone But App!!, If they both join.. We'll look like Crap!!"
-State

Klak
30th April 2012, 12:26 PM

Because the El Paso market! And the Beaumont market! And because neither of those involves yearly rape at the hands of Georgia Southern!

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:27 PM
Because the El Paso market! And the Beaumont market! And because neither of those involves yearly rape at the hands of Georgia Southern!

Neither would out number their fans in the DOMMEEEEEEE like we would.

half-n-half
30th April 2012, 12:40 PM
Dream scenerio:

June 2 - We announce that we have accepted an invitation to join the CUSA (dreaming big on this one even though I think there is a .1% chance)
July 2 - Sam announces that this will be his last fiscal year before retiring as GSU AD.
November - Beat UGA
January 2013 - We win national title #7

If that wouldn't get the money flowing in then I don't know what would.

cannonballgsu
30th April 2012, 12:43 PM
Dream scenerio:

June 2 - We announce that we have accepted an invitation to join the CUSA (dreaming big on this one even though I think there is a .1% chance)
July 2 - Sam announces that this will be his last fiscal year before retiring as GSU AD.

If that were to happen, I would spraypaint my truck blue, attach every Georgia Southern item to it I could find, and do donuts in the parking lot in Frisco until the tires exploded.

btw - I may need a ride home...

and probably bail.

BrendanGS
30th April 2012, 12:44 PM
Dream scenerio:

If we're going big, then I would add beating UGA. I think that alone would get some serious money flowing.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:46 PM
If we're going big, then I would add beating UGA. I think that alone would get some serious money flowing.

Hanging with the big boys does help. I had a lot of "office chatter" mainly from UGA/GT/USC fans at the office asking when we planned to move up, right after the Alabama game. "Well yall played Bama better than most SEC and FBS schools, so when are yall going to move up?" Beating UGA would do 100x more for us than winning #7.

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 12:49 PM
Dream scenerio:

Half can't go THAT big ;)

Klak
30th April 2012, 12:51 PM

If there was ever a year to knock off an FBS opponent, and specifically UGA, this is it.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:53 PM
Half can't go THAT big ;)

When GSU beats UGA, I'll be lighting the bon fire for Half to burn all his UGA stuff. Hopefully his wife doesn't mind it being in their driveway. :)

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:53 PM
If there was ever a year to knock off an FBS opponent, and specifically UGA, this is it.

Talk about being catapulted to the next level....

half-n-half
30th April 2012, 12:54 PM

Can't believe I forgot that one since I've been saying for several years now that beating UGA would be bigger than anything we have ever done before.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 12:57 PM
Can't believe I forgot that one since I've been saying for several years now that beating UGA would be bigger than anything we have ever done before.

You would officially have to change your name.

All-n-None
100-n-0
Anti-Skins

All options.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 01:31 PM
Have I completely lost it to think CUSA could be our destination?

While chowing down on a Firehouse sub at my desk I took a peak at the CUSA Website. Looking at the map, throw us and App in and we could have two divisions like this (assuming no on leaves):

East:
UCF
GSU
ECU
Marshall
Memphis
UAB
App St.

West:
South Miss
Tulane
Rice
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP
Tulsa

Don't you think bringing us and App to the table means something to CUSA despite our lack of facilities and money at this moment? Doesn't potential mean something?

Just the fact that the Sun Belt has Ga State now leads me to believe we are going elsewhere.

Sam hasn't done anything to piss in their cereal has he?

pete4256
30th April 2012, 01:42 PM

While chowing down on a Firehouse sub at my desk I took a peak at the CUSA Website. Looking at the map, throw us and App in and we could have two divisions like this (assuming no on leaves):

East:
UCF
GSU
ECU
Marshall
Memphis
UAB
App St.

West:
South Miss
Tulane
Rice
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP
Tulsa

Don't you think bringing us and App to the table means something to CUSA despite our lack of facilities and money at this moment? Doesn't potential mean something?

Just the fact that the Sun Belt has Ga State now leads me to believe we are going elsewhere.

I thought that CUSA had already lost (at least) Memphis, SMU, and Houston.

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 01:46 PM
I thought that CUSA had already lost (at least) Memphis, SMU, and Houston.

Yes, all are gone to Big East (on varying timelines)

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 01:48 PM
Shows how much I know.

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 01:56 PM
Shows how much I know.

But at least the sandwich was good.

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 01:58 PM

East:
UCF
GSU
ECU
Marshall
Memphis
UAB
App St.

West:
South Miss
Tulane
Rice
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
UTEP
Tulsa

If the 'their' refers to SunBelt, whelp ... yes. Unfortunately, repeatedly over the course of more than a decade. The best possible things have happened though in regards to changing that relationship:

1) We have a different president now who sees and understands the value that athletics brings (in south GA) to the table in augmenting the academics
2) Wright Waters is retired and Benson is in charge of the direction of the SunBelt
3) Upward mobility among more tenured teams in the 'Belt have created a vacuum by which Benson *must* fill to some degree or he'll find himself exactly where he left the WAC --- unstable and prone for implosion.
4) Our administration has moved forward with a crafted, concise message which means IF the employees stay on message, you will be hearing a lot of "it's an institutional decision", rather than "whatever comes off the frontal lobe".

If the 'their' refers to CUSA, no. Probably because realistically we are not on their radar screen as a major acquisition target, though I have thought before it wouldn't be a bad move for that league to have a profile within the state.

Eagle22
30th April 2012, 01:59 PM
Shows how much I know.

Unless you are 'keeping score' or unemployed, it is almost impossible with all the rumoring to know exactly who is going where, and when.

The dust may never settle like it was "pre-BCS".

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
30th April 2012, 02:37 PM
But at least the sandwich was good.

Very good. I love their subs. I went to high school with one of the brothers who founded it so I try to support him.

He has a son in high school. Southern needs to recruit him to play football :)

Hail The Blue
30th April 2012, 02:39 PM
Very good. I love their subs. I went to high school with one of the brothers who founded it so I try to support him.

He has a son in high school. Southern needs to recruit him to play football :)

I'm sure the school could agree to let him open a franchise on campus if a certain % of profits go towards athletics. Their steak and cheese is the best I've had.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 03:07 PM
Joseph just posted this tweet

I just tweeted Brett McMurphy at CBS and asked him if he thought the Sun Belt woudl choose NMSU over Georgia Southern or App State and he said back...

"Probably not, but I would never rule anything out."

Walt3412
30th April 2012, 08:52 PM
Now Brett McMurphy at cbssports is reporting that we are in play for a move up. How is that for a credible source? I wonder how Ben and SaintDik are going to downplay that one, lol.

southern edumacation
30th April 2012, 09:00 PM
What makes him the expert on sunbelt moves?

Sent using Forum Runner

Walt3412
30th April 2012, 09:02 PM
What makes him the expert on sunbelt moves?

Sent using Forum Runner

I don't know, but he's been pretty much dead on with everything I've seen him write about all of these conference shifts.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 09:05 PM
Panther Talk just got wind of it.... Just keep quiet just as E22 said.

TheEagleWay
30th April 2012, 09:07 PM
Timber @ Panther Talk

Look guys, there's a possibility Southern will eventually get an invite.....its not the end of the world. They saw us pass them and it lit a fire under their ***....good for them. Hopefully we make the next jump to a higher conference when their entrance occurs.

Gutless cowards!

Walt3412
30th April 2012, 09:09 PM
Timber @ Panther Talk

Gutless cowards!

LOL...I'm sure their new conference brethren will be glad to hear they no longer want to be a part of their league.

EagleSC
30th April 2012, 09:13 PM
Now Brett McMurphy at cbssports is reporting that we are in play for a move up.

Could you post a link or something? (I'm not doubting you, just want to see it for myself to see if it's something I want to pass along).

Klak
30th April 2012, 09:14 PM
Could you post a link or something? (I'm not doubting you, just want to see it for myself to see if it's something I want to pass along).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18911274

EagleSC
30th April 2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18911274

Gracias mi amigo!

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 05:47 AM
Meanwhile on PantherTalk

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7yb3KXhS1qks4mg.gif

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 07:17 AM
Meanwhile on PantherTalk

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw7yb3KXhS1qks4mg.gif

http://www.desicomments.com/dc/24/57624/57624.gif

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 02:37 PM
Someone needs to get and release some inside info. Doesn't have to be "We are going Sun Belt on such and such a date" (although that would be nice!). More along the lines of "I can substantiate that we are having reciprocal conversations with multiple conferences".

Just need to know something is going on.

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 02:53 PM
Brett McMurphy just tweeted that sources have told him ODU and Charlotte are going to CUSA in 2013.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 02:55 PM
Brett McMurphy just tweeted that sources have told him ODU and Charlotte are going to CUSA in 2013.

I am getting so confused now. If that is the case, how many teams will there be in CUSA?

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 02:56 PM
I am getting so confused now. If that is the case, how many teams will there be in CUSA?

NWGaEagle
1st May 2012, 03:01 PM

12 plus ODU & Charlotte = 14

MWC will be at 10 members

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 03:02 PM
So the last 2 spots for Sun Belt.

GSU
Appy
*NMSU
*Idaho

* I only mention because their name is being thrown around.

NWGaEagle
1st May 2012, 03:04 PM

GSU
Appy
*NMSU
*Idaho

There are also options of seeing UTA start up football I suppose.

Klak
1st May 2012, 03:06 PM

GSU
Appy
*NMSU
*Idaho

Not gonna lie... I'm starting to get nervous.

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 03:07 PM

Uhh huh..

NWGaEagle
1st May 2012, 03:07 PM

Can't you call a dozen sources and get some answers? :)

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 03:10 PM
If Benson pulls NMSU, which would be STUPID BEYOND BELIEF, then it would be down to APPY and Us.

Klak
1st May 2012, 03:10 PM
Can't you call a dozen sources and get some answers? :)

I could, but none of them will talk to me. :P

I don't have anything to back up any nervousness. I just see that there are only 2 seats left at the table.

Unless C-USA to 14 makes the Sun Belt do the same.

NWGaEagle
1st May 2012, 03:12 PM
I could, but none of them will talk to me. :P

I don't have anything to back up any nervousness. I just see that there are only 2 seats left at the table.

Unless C-USA to 14 makes the Sun Belt do the same.

Lead off with "Hi, I'm Ben from GSU". I hear that gets you in all the doors.

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.panthertalk.com/community/threads/holy-crap.5268/
PantherPatsies are not happy.... suckers.

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.panthertalk.com/community/threads/holy-crap.5268/
PantherPatsies are not happy.... suckers.

Who the F--- do they think they are?? Are they seriously not happy with a sunbelt invite? Ugh they piss me off so bad.

I want nothing more than to move up so we can beat them year in and year out until they all go home crying and decide to cancel their football program.

pete4256
1st May 2012, 03:21 PM
Will Georgia State play a CAA schedule in 2012? God, I hope so.

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 03:22 PM
Will Georgia State play a CAA schedule in 2012? God, I hope so.

Yes... just no playoffs.

pete4256
1st May 2012, 03:24 PM
Yes... just no playoffs.

Awesome. I can't wait to see them go 1-10 at a level of play they consider insulting.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 03:58 PM

Yep.....I just don't think the Sun Belt wants us. I am starting to think unless we have outside shot at the CUSA and they are trying to build a mega conference without the merger, we may be left out in the cold.

Very scary.

cannonballgsu
1st May 2012, 04:02 PM
Yep.....I just don't think the Sun Belt wants us. I am starting to think unless we have outside shot at the CUSA and they are trying to build a mega conference without the merger, we may be left out in the cold.

Very scary.

I was wondering if I was the only person starting to get a little nervous. It doesn't seem that our name is really being thrown around as a serious candidate, just mentioned here and there by bloggers and forums.

SouthernM.D.
1st May 2012, 04:06 PM
In Keel We Trust.

BrendanGS
1st May 2012, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if I was the only person starting to get a little nervous. It doesn't seem that our name is really being thrown around as a serious candidate, just mentioned here and there by bloggers and forums.

You also don't hear App State being thrown around a lot, but you would think that if anyone is likely to get an invite it's App. Is that a fair statement?

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm nervous as hell....

eaglewraith
1st May 2012, 04:52 PM
I'm actually feeling ok. Call me crazy but I'm not all that worried.

Eaglebacker
1st May 2012, 05:47 PM
Gentlemen we will be in the Sunbelt at teh very latest in 2015 and probably in 2014.

eaglewraith
1st May 2012, 05:48 PM
Gentlemen we will be in the Sunbelt at teh very latest in 2015 and probably in 2014.

For 2014 we'd have to be filing this year. Highly doubt we file for this year. Coach Monken and President Keel really want one more crack at the playoffs.

TheEagleWay
1st May 2012, 05:52 PM

I hope you stumbled upon some document that states just that. I'm starting to freak out a bit.

http://www.thefeelgoodlifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Freaking-Out.jpg

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 06:08 PM
For what it is worth guys, Adam Sparks the guy Ga State loved to throw in our face because he said there was no way we go Sun Belt, just posted these two nuggets:

Adam Sparks ‏ @AdamSparks
Hearing strong rumors that Ga. Southern will be next to come into Sun Belt. Gotta an educated theory on this based, on talking to some today

I think Sun Belt's Karl Benson is trying for 16 schools -- 8 in east, 8 in west. Add Ga Southern, NM St, Idaho, etc. If so, thats intriguing

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 06:19 PM
For what it is worth guys, Adam Sparks the guy Ga State loved to throw in our face because he said there was no way we go Sun Belt, just posted these two nuggets:

Adam Sparks &rlm; @AdamSparks
Hearing strong rumors that Ga. Southern will be next to come into Sun Belt. Gotta an educated theory on this based, on talking to some today

Adam Sparks &rlm; @AdamSparks
I think Sun Belt's Karl Benson is trying for 16 schools -- 8 in east, 8 in west. Add Ga Southern, NM St, Idaho, etc. If so, thats intriguing

And I'm back to being excited again. This offseason has been more of a roller coaster ride than a football game coached by Hatcher.

eaglewraith
1st May 2012, 06:21 PM
And I'm back to being excited again. This offseason has been more of a roller coaster ride than a football game coached by Hatcher.

QF-****ing-T

SouthernM.D.
1st May 2012, 06:49 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7879241/unc-charlotte-49ers-decline-offer-sun-belt-conference-source-says

Looks like Charlotte turned down the Sun Belt for Conference USA. Looks like at least the 49ers move is happening for sure.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 06:52 PM
Man on a Buffalo on the Sun Belt board is saying word is there was a long conference call between us and App Monday afternoon to discuss realignment.

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 07:39 PM
Man on a Buffalo on the Sun Belt board is saying word is there was a long conference call between us and App Monday afternoon to discuss realignment.

Link to thread????

Hail The Blue
1st May 2012, 07:40 PM

Also, was the conference involved or just our two schools?

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
1st May 2012, 08:05 PM
Also, was the conference involved or just our two schools?

Seems to be the two of us talking.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=566050&page=34

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 05:45 AM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20120502/SPORTS/205020311

"Future additions to the Sun Belt would be those institutions that are in the footprint currently playing FBS, and those that are FCS but aspire to make the move up to FBS," Benson said. "The Sun Belt has the state of Texas and the state of Florida so that obviously creates some geographic spread and using Texas as an anchor on the west and Georgia and Florida on the eastern side and be sure to build within those two geographical regions."

Unless the SunBelt is adding Kennesaw State, I think this is as much of a directive as you'll see right now.

I do wonder though if Benson cleared this statement with Ben Moore ? lol

eaglewraith
2nd May 2012, 06:17 AM
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20120502/SPORTS/205020311

"Future additions to the Sun Belt would be those institutions that are in the footprint currently playing FBS, and those that are FCS but aspire to make the move up to FBS," Benson said. "The Sun Belt has the state of Texas and the state of Florida so that obviously creates some geographic spread and using Texas as an anchor on the west and Georgia and Florida on the eastern side and be sure to build within those two geographical regions."

Unless the SunBelt is adding Kennesaw State, I think this is as much of a directive as you'll see right now.

I do wonder though if Benson cleared this statement with Ben Moore ? lol

No way Benson said this. Ben's "national sources" are always right.

Edit: Btw, it's taking extreme self control not to go post this on their board.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 07:09 AM
No way Benson said this. Ben's "national sources" are always right.

Edit: Btw, it's taking extreme self control not to go post this on their board.

Ben's mom told him they weren't taking any more FCS schools. She also taught him geography and that NMST and IU are within the current footprint of the conference.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 07:27 AM
So free email account aren't allowed at the sun belt forum? WTF is that? I'm not using my work email address for that crap.

TheEagleWay
2nd May 2012, 07:46 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Holy crap that made my day Paul.

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 08:19 AM
Interesting comment from ManzanoWolf. I had someone else float a theory to me last night that the SunBelt might announce us w/o us having the benefit of actually putting together an 'official' announcement.

I find this an intriguing possibility for several reasons:

1) It would definitely quell some of the anxiety about the constituency of the league on ALL fronts (once you name names), allowing the league to settle into a summer of evaluation for scheduling issues

2) It would be another ironic example for how we (GSU) get the word out, and would be par for previous course for having the tail wag the dog (but would in this case be necessary for reason #3)

3) If the conference were to announce us joining, but we got the paperwork in "late", then we could proceed with "invite-in-hand" at our own pace, allowing us to play in the playoffs this year and still have a plan in place. That would be the ultimate in irony ..... :)

At this point, who the heck knows ;)

While I'd much rather be in a position of knowing we had a formal announcement forthcoming, if it goes down that way then I'm okay with that too. Just anything to avoid being left at the altar a third time.

NWGaEagle
2nd May 2012, 08:22 AM
So free email account aren't allowed at the sun belt forum? WTF is that? I'm not using my work email address for that crap.

Set you up an alumni.georgiasouthern.edu account.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 08:23 AM
Set you up an alumni.georgiasouthern.edu account.

Now we're talking. You got a link?

TheEagleWay
2nd May 2012, 08:24 AM
I agree. I would love to have my cake and eat it too, but I will take what I can at this point.

Imagine the momentum if we win the Championship this coming year knowing we have a Sun.Belt invite. Record setting attendance year anyone?

I need closure.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 08:25 AM
I agree. I would love to have my cake and eat it too, but I will take what I can at this point.

Imagine the momentum if we win the Championship this coming year knowing we have a Sun.Belt invite. Record setting attendance year anyone?

I need closure.

15-0 season would do wonders for the program.....

ChadWC
2nd May 2012, 08:29 AM
Word on the Sun Belt board is there is a presser from the conference today unless I read it wrong as I am surfing this morning on my phone. I just don't think THIS much activity from us getting public is not without purpose or something breaking sooner than later.

southern edumacation
2nd May 2012, 08:32 AM
Interesting comment from ManzanoWolf. I had someone else float a theory to me last night that the SunBelt might announce us w/o us having the benefit of actually putting together an 'official' announcement.

I find this an intriguing possibility for several reasons:

1) It would definitely quell some of the anxiety about the constituency of the league on ALL fronts (once you name names), allowing the league to settle into a summer of evaluation for scheduling issues

2) It would be another ironic example for how we (GSU) get the word out, and would be par for previous course for having the tail wag the dog (but would in this case be necessary for reason #3)

3) If the conference were to announce us joining, but we got the paperwork in "late", then we could proceed with "invite-in-hand" at our own pace, allowing us to play in the playoffs this year and still have a plan in place. That would be the ultimate in irony ..... :)

At this point, who the heck knows ;)

While I'd much rather be in a position of knowing we had a formal announcement forthcoming, if it goes down that way then I'm okay with that too. Just anything to avoid being left at the altar a third time.

I think your third point would almost be a best case scenario. SunBelt quells rumors and and we get an invite and go through the rest of this non football season with some security.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 08:35 AM
Word on the Sun Belt board is there is a presser from the conference today unless I read it wrong as I am surfing this morning on my phone. I just don't think THIS much activity from us getting public is not without purpose or something breaking sooner than later.

Isn't that to announce Texas State, and others?

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 08:37 AM

They are certainly announcing Texas State.

Speculation on more .... but we'll see.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 08:40 AM
Man, this is driving me crazy. I can't get a good bearing on things one way or the other.

southern edumacation
2nd May 2012, 08:43 AM

what time is the conference? 12:30 central?

TheEagleWay
2nd May 2012, 08:46 AM
Man, this is driving me crazy. I can't get a good bearing on things one way or the other.

I'm with you, I need a support group so I can step away from the proverbial cliff.

Our leadership is not leaking anything.

NWGaEagle
2nd May 2012, 09:18 AM
Now we're talking. You got a link?

http://www.alumniconnections.com/olc/pub/GSN/

It just forwards to whatever email address you point it to. It gets spammed a little too fwiw, though my gmail rightly filters a lot of that.

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 10:38 AM
Quote from Benson: "at a minimum, we look to get to two 6 team divisions for July 1, 2013."

Looks like it's down to a choice from our administration, playoffs this year or FBS. He doesn't sound like he wants to wait on us.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=568037

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 10:43 AM
Quote from Benson: "at a minimum, we look to get to two 6 team divisions for July 1, 2013."

Looks like it's down to a choice from our administration, playoffs this year or FBS. He doesn't sound like he wants to wait on us.

Maybe this is what the GSU-App St call was about yesterday (if that really did happen). We both might have wanted to wait a year but the SunBelt told us that they weren't willing to do that. So the 2 schools got on a conference call and talked about what each wanted to do.

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 10:44 AM

Let's see how this plays out. If NMSU and Idaho were to be added (Idaho for football only), then they get to 12 and then GSU and ASU can be added for 2014. I think the key part of that phraseology is "at a minimum".

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 10:44 AM
Sparks wrote this in the our local paper the Tennessean today.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120502/SPORTS06/305020124/MTSU-likely-staying-Sun-Belt

Walt3412
2nd May 2012, 10:49 AM
I never thought I would say this, but if it came down to the SBC putting pressure on us to decide now or the door may close, we've got to do it now. There are no guarantees...heck, who knows, we could get some people hurt, go 7-4 and not even make the playoffs this year. But we cannot afford to miss this opportunity if it arises.

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 10:52 AM
I agree Walt.

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 10:55 AM
I never thought I would say this, but if it came down to the SBC putting pressure on us to decide now or the door may close, we've got to do it now. There are no guarantees...heck, who knows, we could get some people hurt, go 7-4 and not even make the playoffs this year. But we cannot afford to miss this opportunity if it arises.

For all the pro-BCS folks this seems to be the consensus. I'd hate it for the seniors this year to basically be playing a meaningless year, but I'm going to hate that for any senior class. I guess I'd also rather make UGA our "Super Bowl" of a meaningless year than Florida though.

And as I've posted already I think we will have the offense to win the conference in 2014 and make some serious noise in 2013.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 10:56 AM

Absolutely. I am paranoid we are going to miss out and if we do, it will be awful. I just don't see the conferences waiting around. Things are moving to fast. We don't go, they will find someone else.

Would love another shot at a NC but it's not like we haven't been there before.

Walt3412
2nd May 2012, 11:06 AM
And we would also be trying to win a national championship with a first year starter at QB with very limited playing time. I'm pretty sure J.R. Revere is the only man to ever accomplish this feat despite some of the great talent we have had. Not saying we couldn't do it this year because I think we are talented enough, but as we all know, winning a championship usually takes some breaks and things going your way, even with the most talented teams.

pete4256
2nd May 2012, 11:15 AM
And we would also be trying to win a national championship with a first year starter at QB with very limited playing time. I'm pretty sure J.R. Revere is the only man to ever accomplish this feat despite some of the great talent we have had. Not saying we couldn't do it this year because I think we are talented enough, but as we all know, winning a championship usually takes some breaks and things going your way, even with the most talented teams.

JR was entering his fourth year at GSU, and he'd gotten a whole lot of quality snaps.

That makes your point even more valid.

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 11:20 AM

JR was entering his fourth year at GSU, and he'd gotten a whole lot of quality snaps.

That makes your point even more valid.

Agree with this. I had said earlier that I'd rather waste the "exhibition" year breaking in a new QB than in either Youyoute's JR year or McKinnon's SR year (whoever wins the battle).

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 11:53 AM

I think that's spot on Walt. As much as I would love for guys like Brent Russell, Rowe, Eubanks, Debose, etc...to have another shot at a NC, we can't let this one slip by if it's presented to us.

I do have to say that the idea of adding New Mexico State and Idaho doesn't thrill me too much. I can't imagine that being a good fit for "away game" travel. On a completely selfish note though, i'd be stoked to have GSU playing so much closer every other year or whatever...hahaha

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 11:54 AM
I think that's spot on Walt. As much as I would love for guys like Brent Russell, Rowe, Eubanks, Debose, etc...to have another shot at a NC, we can't let this one slip by if it's presented to us.

I do have to say that the idea of adding New Mexico State and Idaho don't thrill me too much. I can't imagine that being a good fit for "away game" travel. On a completely selfish note though, i'd be stoked to have GSU playing so much closer every other year or whatever...hahaha

It'd be once every four years. We are just too used to the concept of playing everyone in the conference home-away every other year.

For perspective, it'd be less frequent than our trips to SDSU !

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 11:57 AM
It'd be once every four years. We are just too used to the concept of playing everyone in the conference home-away every other year.

But closer to me...which, I think we'll all agree, is the much more important thing to take away from this idea. hahaha....

eaglewraith
2nd May 2012, 11:58 AM

Even all the other sports?

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 12:03 PM

I think it was suggested that NMSU and Idaho would be fball members only? Could be wrong about that.

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 12:09 PM

well, obviously no .... but if Idaho is football only ... I think you can figure out that part ;)

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 12:11 PM
I think it was suggested that NMSU and Idaho would be fball members only? Could be wrong about that.

I think NMSU would be all sports.

With UALR as basketball only, there would only need to be one football (only) school added ... if my math is right.

BrendanGS
2nd May 2012, 12:14 PM
I think NMSU would be all sports.

With UALR as basketball only, there would only need to be one football (only) school added ... if my math is right.

On Twitter I have it set up to give me all tweets with the words Sun Belt contained in it and I'm tried of seeing all the tweets stating "Source: New Mexico State a potential target of expanding Sun Belt". Making me nervous!

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 12:18 PM
On future expansion: “I’m optimistic that this isn’t the last announcement we’ll have. Whether it’s a week or two weeks or 60 days, July 1 is kind of a target date and in order to get any additional member into the cycle for July 1, 2013, those decisions need to be made before June 30. I know that could be next week. I know that could be in June, perhaps, but there will be another addition.”

http://texasstatesports.com/2012/05/02/college-athletics-future-of-the-sun-belt/

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 12:19 PM
what time is the conference? 12:30 central?

Is there going to be a link to this press conference?

pete4256
2nd May 2012, 12:23 PM
On future expansion: “I’m optimistic that this isn’t the last announcement we’ll have. Whether it’s a week or two weeks or 60 days, July 1 is kind of a target date and in order to get any additional member into the cycle for July 1, 2013, those decisions need to be made before June 30. I know that could be next week. I know that could be in June, perhaps, but there will be another addition.”

http://texasstatesports.com/2012/05/02/college-athletics-future-of-the-sun-belt/

Either I'm reading too much into this, or . . . "Holy crap!"

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 12:29 PM

I'm thinking Holy Crap.

So someone clarify for me:

If we announce before June 1, no playoffs for 2012, we get invited for SunBelt 2013

If we announce After June 1, before July 1, we get playoffs, and still get invited for Sunbelt 2013

If we announce after July 1, we go Sunbelt 2014?

GATA
2nd May 2012, 12:32 PM
Time is 12:50 CT and I've been trying my hardest to grab a link to it

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 12:32 PM
I think July 1st is the deadline for existing FBS schools

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 12:35 PM
I think July 1st is the deadline for existing FBS schools

Ok, so that's why that deadline is being tossed around.

So maybe we'll hear something in the next week or two? :D

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 12:35 PM

Do u mean good holy crap or bad holy crap ;)

pete4256
2nd May 2012, 12:42 PM
Do u mean good holy crap or bad holy crap ;)

It's almost like he was clarifying the timeline for gsufans.com. So, good holy crap.

Your take?

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 12:48 PM

Would this be Benson's way of appeasing ASU and GSU's desire/concern for one last 1-aa playoff run? They want an answer by July 1, but we don't have to "answer" until after June 1...therefore, both schools get to participate in 2012 1-aa playoffs but have a I-A destination in hand for 2013?

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18920451

Found this to be quite interesting in regards to the WAC folding (if it folds).

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 01:02 PM
It's almost like he was clarifying the timeline for gsufans.com. So, good holy crap.

Your take?

That's what I thought you meant, just trying to understand.

Yes, I think it is playing out as well as it can (to this point). Hopefully the good vibes continue.

cannonballgsu
2nd May 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there:

I'm probably going to need a job soon. The lack of work I have been doing is really starting to stack up here because of the time I have been spending on the forums! So if anyone needs their floor swept, or trash taken out, let me know :D.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 01:11 PM
I'm going to go ahead and throw this out there:

I'm probably going to need a job soon. The lack of work I have been doing is really starting to stack up here because of the time I have been spending on the forums! So if anyone needs their floor swept, or trash taken out, let me know :D.

We should go into business together. Might be on the same boat. :)

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 01:14 PM
Definately going to need a new keyboard because I am wearing out F5.

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:17 PM
We should go into business together. Might be on the same boat. :)

I'm freaking out every time my phone rings or I get an email...just praying that it's not from HR telling me to come down with my badge and parking pass.

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:18 PM
Time is 12:50 CT and I've been trying my hardest to grab a link to it

So we're 30 minutes past the the presser and nothing to report? What's the scoop?

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 01:20 PM
Check out twitter @WarhawkReport. They are giving the press conference play by play. Some good things I'm hearing, some not so much.

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 01:21 PM
Of course, this one is good: #SunBelt commish Benson believes there are still a few more moves on the conference realignment horizon

BrendanGS
2nd May 2012, 01:23 PM
Check out twitter @WarhawkReport. They are giving the press conference play by play. Some good things I'm hearing, some not so much.

Thanks for the link!

Interesting:

"Commish Benson hinted that he is waiting on moves coming in the next few days before moving forward."
<s>"#</s>SunBelt (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23SunBelt) has been contacted by 4-6 <s>#</s>FCS (https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23FCS) teams"

"Benson said targeting FBS programs may no longer be available within Sun Belt's geographic footprint."

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 01:26 PM
I also liked Benson saying UTA being "in" is misinformation and talks about NMSU and Idaho are premature. Open spots are good :)

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:26 PM
Got these from @AdamSparks...

SBC's Benson: "Too premature" to talk about adding NMSU and Idaho, but there will come a time to at least have a conversation w/ them

SBC's Benson: Had conversations with UT-Arlington, but "misinfomation" that it was joining SBC today

GATA
2nd May 2012, 01:28 PM
SunBelt has been contacted by 4-6 #FCS teams

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 01:30 PM
This is good stuff. I had completely convinced my pesssimistic self that Benson was going to announce NMSU, Idaho and DONE. This is a load off. I think I need to lay off this stuff before I give myself a heart attack.

EagleSC
@MrChadBishop is reporting that May 22nd will be a Sun Belt "meeting of the minds".

On a side note, I didn't know he was covering WKU sports. Loved seeing/hanging out with this guy at GSU games back when we were in school.

Hail The Blue
https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23SunBelt good way to follow the traffic... keeping an eye on the #sunbelt hashtag

Eagle22
2nd May 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm freaking out every time my phone rings or I get an email...just praying that it's not from HR telling me to come down with my badge and parking pass.

lol

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 01:31 PM
This is good stuff. I had completely convinced my pesssimistic self that Benson was going to announce NMSU, Idaho and DONE. This is a load off. I think I need to lay off this stuff before I give myself a heart attack.

He keeps talking about geographical footprint. I think those two are out. For a midmajor conference, having crazy travel expenses isn't smart. If it was Oregon, Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, and LSU, it might be a different story. Those guys can afford it.

Ralze34
2nd May 2012, 01:35 PM
I'm freaking out every time my phone rings or I get an email...just praying that it's not from HR telling me to come down with my badge and parking pass.At this mornings status meeting I had to think of a way to say, "No I haven't started that yet because I've spent the last 3 days glued to gsufans.com". I only came up with, "I haven't had time with the other stuff I've been working on."

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:38 PM
At this mornings status meeting I had to think of a way to say, "No I haven't started that yet because I've spent the last 3 days glued to gsufans.com". I only came up with, "I haven't had time with the other stuff I've been working on."

I claimed I was at an "off-site meeting" for the past hour but have been walking around the 400 level of the arena with my phone and forum-runner.

southern edumacation
2nd May 2012, 01:38 PM
The earlier a #FCS starts their transition clock, the more valuable they are to the #SunBelt - Commish Benson

hmm...

SouthernM.D.
2nd May 2012, 01:39 PM
From Warhawkreport

Warhawk Report ‏ @WarhawkReport
The earlier a #FCS starts their transition clock, the more valuable they are to the #SunBelt - Commish Benson

*beat me to it

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:40 PM
@MrChadBishop

Benson said FCS programs should apply to SBC by June if they want in. That's 29 days from now. Get on it people.

Klak
2nd May 2012, 01:41 PM
Chad Bishop ‏ @MrChadBishop
Benson said FCS programs should apply to SBC by June if they want in. That's 29 days from now. Get on it people.

Klak
So I think that answers all the questions. It's time to go and it's time to go now.

cannonballgsu
@MrChadBishop

It needs to be done. We can sacrifice one last playoff run for the greater good of the program.

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 01:43 PM

Get off my koolaid, yo! hahahaha...Yust Yoking!

This then begs the question (a clarification question)...does this mean to simply let the SB know we want to go by June 1, or does this mean "file paperwork by June 1"...thus foregoing the 1-aa playoffs in 2012?

jmlott
2nd May 2012, 01:44 PM
It needs to be done. We can sacrifice one last playoff run for the greater good of the program.

+1000

I can live with 6 flags for a while

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
This whole scenario is like trying to hook up with a gorgeous girl and your very close but right before it happens, she hooks with someone else.

I am so worried we are close but not close enough.

cannonballgsu
Get off my koolaid, yo! hahahaha...Yust Yoking!

This then begs the question (a clarification question)...does this mean to simply let the SB know we want to go by June 1, or does this mean "file paperwork by June 1"...thus foregoing the 1-aa playoffs in 2012?

When he mentioned starting the transition clock, I would say he meant file the paperwork to be ready for the 2013 season.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 01:47 PM
When he mentioned starting the transition clock, I would say he meant file the paperwork to be ready for the 2013 season.

Baker, Keel that statement was directed at you :)

At least I hope it was.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone have a few million they can spare so we can seal the deal?

TheEagleWay
2nd May 2012, 01:51 PM

My biggest concen

cannonballgsu
2nd May 2012, 01:52 PM

Think they will hold a check? :D

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 01:55 PM
Think they will hold a check? :D

I was thinking the same thing. "Here is a check post dated to 2050"

TheEagleWay
2nd May 2012, 01:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing. "Here is a check post dated to 2050"

just bank on hyperinflation by then and your check clears

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 02:17 PM
This is a good sign if he's talking about the FCS presidents:

Benson on current FCS candidates for the Sun Belt: "It starts with the presidents, the CEOs".

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/02/in-fcs-huddle-how-many-hits-can-fcs-take/

Interesting article from SportsNetwork's coverage of 1-aa. Imagine that GSU wasn't in the conversation of I-A and think of how dreary 1-aa sounds after reading this article....ugghhhh....we simply CANNOT afford to miss the I-A boat again.

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 02:19 PM
Check this out

http://www.dixiefriedsports.com/Next_Ste..._Belt.html

Georgia Southern Football has been the most dominant FCS(1-AA) program since the mid 80s. With six National Championships, the Eagles have established themselves as a true "football school". The fan support in Statesboro is one of the best in the FCS. Georgia Southern actually had a higher average attendance in 2011 than did Florida Atlantic, Louisiana-Monroe, and Western Kentucky. They only averaged 100 fewers fans a game than Troy did. Neither Idaho nor New Mexico State had an average attendance higher than GSU, despite playing a home schedule that had FBS schools on it. Georgia Southern has an all time record of 17-17 against Sun Belt teams, proving that their school is capable of competing within the league. Statesboro's rural location is similar to several towns in the Sun Belt, but offers visiting fans the chance to visit great cities like Atlanta or Savannah, GA. Rivalries with Troy and Georgia State are certain to come about if the Eagles were to join the Sun Belt.

Appalachian State has been the best FCS program over the last decade. Since 2004 ASU has a 79-19 record, 3 National Championships, 6 conference championships, a win at Michigan, and has 7 consecutive playoff appearances. The Mountaineers are averaging over 25,000 fans a game, more than any Sun Belt School in 2011 with the exception of ULL. The 25k fans a game total is 6,000 more than the entire conference averaged in 2011. Appalachian State Football would enter the Sun Belt with a larger fan base and more football tradition than FAU, FIU, Western Kentucky, Troy, and South Alabama did when they became new additions to the conference. Boone, NC is also one of the most scenic places in the Southeast to visit and would be a fantastic trip to any visiting fan. Kidd Brewer Stadium has a unique atmosphere to it, that no other expansion contender could match.

One big question is what does the Sun Belt offer for Georgia Southern and Appalachian State? First, it would offer a chance for these two schools to be on TV more often. Outside of the FCS Playoffs, these two schools are rarely on national TV, but with the new Sun Belt's TV package these two programs would become more visible nationally. This can certainly help with athletics, but also increase the amount of applications students send to these schools. The chance to attend a bowl game to support your school in New Orleans is a more attractive option than going to Montana to watch a playoff game.

pete4256
2nd May 2012, 02:21 PM
This is a good sign if he's talking about the FCS presidents:

Benson on current FCS candidates for the Sun Belt: "It starts with the presidents, the CEOs".

Indeed. If I were a betting man, I'd bet this is as clear a signal as we could expect about our FBS future without an announcement.

I wonder if any other fanbases/programs feel as though he's talking about them? His remarks jibe almost 100% with the discussions on this board over the last couple of days.

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 02:22 PM
If I am trying to put a positive puzzle together based on the information from today and rumors here's what I would come up with:

The SunBelt told GSU and App St sometime in the past week or so that they weren't waiting until 2014 to have 12 members. If we want in the SunBelt then we have to apply for and accept an invitation before the June 1 deadline so that we would be a member in 2013. So GSU and App St get on a conference call yesterday to talk about what each University's plans are so both will be moving forward at the same pace.

Sounds like the month of May will be VERY interesting. May 22 is a day to have circled on the calendar and I think sometime between the 23rd and the 30th we will know our fate.

Klak
2nd May 2012, 02:24 PM
If I am trying to put a positive puzzle together based on the information from today and rumors here's what I would come up with:

The SunBelt told GSU and App St sometime in the past week or so that they weren't waiting until 2014 to have 12 members. If we want in the SunBelt then we have to apply for and accept an invitation before the June 1 deadline so that we would be a member in 2013. So GSU and App St get on a conference call yesterday to talk about what each University's plans are so both will be moving forward at the same pace.

Sounds like the month of May will be VERY interesting. May 22 is a day to have circled on the calendar and I think sometime between the 23rd and the 30th we will know our fate.

Sounds dead on to me. Our NCAA notification has to be postmarked by May 25.

cannonballgsu
2nd May 2012, 02:25 PM

I'm surely going to get fired if i have to wait that long!

Tampa_Jax_Eagle
2nd May 2012, 02:28 PM
I'm surely going to get fired if i have to wait that long!

Yep...we really need some insider wingnut, lead pipe lock information soon in order to stay employed. Cause if I am not employed I can't donate.

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 02:29 PM
The SunBelt told GSU and App St sometime in the past week or so that they weren't waiting until 2014 to have 12 members.
I think your right on target, but this other thought did occur to me....

He also said that NMSU and Idaho are not in the picture and there aren't any other options from current I-A teams right now. So that begs the question, outside of ASU and GSU, who in 1-aa is ready and/or has been preparing itself for a move to I-A? One would certainly think, based on his own comments, that ASU and GSU are the leading candidates for Member Spot #11 and Member Spot #12....thus giving both schools a chance to leverage one more year in 1-aa.

cannonballgsu
2nd May 2012, 02:30 PM
Yep...we really need some insider wingnut, lead pipe lock information soon in order to stay employed. Cause if I am not employed I can't donate.

Think Dr. Keel will leak us any info if we call him up and tell him that?

Klak
2nd May 2012, 02:32 PM

He also said that NMSU and Idaho are not in the picture and there aren't any other options from current I-A teams right now. So that begs the question, outside of ASU and GSU, who in 1-aa is ready and/or has been preparing itself for a move to I-A? One would certainly think, based on his own comments, that ASU and GSU are the leading candidates for Member Spot #11 and Member Spot #12....thus giving both schools a chance to leverage one more year in 1-aa.

Jax State, Liberty, and JMU are the only others that are even close. Troy and USA would block Jax State. Nobody wants to be associated with Liberty. JMU is more likely to go to the MAC than the Sun Belt.

At this point, it's us or nobody. I've switched gears though and think we need to skip the playoffs and go now. It's too risky to let those last 2 spots sit vacant for any amount of time.

eaglewraith
2nd May 2012, 02:34 PM

Problem is, things are staying really close to the vest so it's going to be hard to get anything definite until the 11th hour I imagine.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 02:34 PM
Jax State, Liberty, and JMU are the only others that are even close. Troy and USA would block Jax State. Nobody wants to be associated with Liberty. JMU is more likely to go to the MAC than the Sun Belt.

At this point, it's us or nobody. I've switched gears though and think we need to skip the playoffs and go now. It's too risky to let those last 2 spots sit vacant for any amount of time.

Maybe our rumored conference call with App State on Monday was us trying to figure a way we could both join the SB and participate in the playoffs one last time.

half-n-half
2nd May 2012, 02:40 PM

I'll put the tin foil hat on again and add to my theory:

Based off this tweet:
SBC's Benson: "Too premature" to talk about adding NMSU and Idaho, but there will come a time to at least have a conversation w/ them

I'm thinking that Benson expects GSU and App to forgo their last year in the playoffs and join in 2013. But if we do make the (bad) decision not to do that then he will talk to NMSU and Idaho.

EagleSC
2nd May 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm thinking that Benson expects GSU and App to forgo their last year in the playoffs and join in 2013. But if we do make the (bad) decision not to do that then he will talk to NMSU and Idaho.

I had that exact same thought too when I saw that....

Walt3412
2nd May 2012, 02:45 PM
This may be a dumb question, but can we accept the invite in the event we don't qualify, i.e. not offering enough sports? I would think we could go ahead and accept with the promise that we will immediately be starting another sport. I just don't want some silly reason such as this to keep us out.

Hail The Blue
2nd May 2012, 02:47 PM
This may be a dumb question, but can we accept the invite in the event we don't qualify, i.e. not offering enough sports? I would think we could go ahead and accept with the promise that we will immediately be starting another sport. I just don't want some silly reason such as this to keep us out.

I think they would invite us on the fact that we would add womens sports... That would give us intill 2014 to add them? Since we would be a transitional member in 13? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Klak
2nd May 2012, 02:48 PM
I think they would invite us on the fact that we would add womens sports... That would give us intill 2014 to add them? Since we would be a transitional member in 13? Correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe that's correct.

eaglewraith
2nd May 2012, 02:50 PM

Ga State didn't even know how many women's scholarships they'd need to add to be compliant.

They commissioned a study AFTER accepting their invite. I don't think it's an issue.