PDA

View Full Version : Coach Summers in Savannah - 02/25/2016

Booster EYES
9th February 2016, 07:31 AM
Head Football Coach, Tyson Summers will be speaking on February 25th at the Greater Savannah Alumni Network Business Lunch.

This month's lunch will be starting at 11:30 AM and will be held at the banquet facility at Johnny Harris. In order for Johnny Harris to prepare enough food, we ask that everyone RSVP to Eaglefan87@yahoo.com.

The Savannah Alumni Network Business Lunch is a monthly gathering of alumni and friends to connect with one another and learn about what is happening at Georgia Southern. For $10 you get lunch (drink and tip included), fellowship, and an informative speaker from the University.

loyaleagle
9th February 2016, 07:48 AM
Free lunch for me this time, thanks to last month's drawing! Really appreciate your and eaglebean's years of dedication to arranging and conducting the luncheons.

Booster EYES
9th February 2016, 07:59 AM
I am glad to help out in any way that I can. :)

Booster EYES
18th February 2016, 08:01 AM
We are at just over 125 people for the luncheon next week. What an awesome response!

straightshooter
23rd February 2016, 08:40 AM
Got any more room????? Jill and I would like to come. Finally in town for a week.

Booster EYES
23rd February 2016, 10:23 AM
For you and Jill, of course! :)

straightshooter
23rd February 2016, 10:36 AM
Count us in....

Gunguy05
25th February 2016, 01:57 PM
Just wondering how things went with this today? I saw The Big Guy's post about it on twitter. I would have liked to have gone, but didn't realize it was today. Did we learn anything new, or just same old small talk (as to be expected). I'm excited about TS and can't wait to see him in action!

Booster EYES
25th February 2016, 02:11 PM
The crowd was great! Thanks to all who attended. I will recap later when I am not on my phone.

Booster EYES
26th February 2016, 07:37 AM
Coach Summers is very impressive. He spoke about how he got to where he is today and quite a bit about his family. It was not the standard spouting about recruits and I am glad. Folks have already read about all of that.

straightshooter
26th February 2016, 08:30 AM
Coach Summers is very impressive. He spoke about how he got to where he is today and quite a bit about his family. It was not the standard spouting about recruits and I am glad. Folks have already read about all of that.

Laney is right. CTS did spend most of his time speaking about family and the culture that is Georgia Southern. Attendees got to know a lot about the man that way. During the Q/A session, however, he did get into the nuts and bolts of what we can expect to see. Here are some highights of that:

Will run a gun option offense that is very QB driven. We will throw it more to keep opposing defenses from stacking the box with eight or nine players. Offense will be what he called RPO (run/pass option). When the box is stacked look for us to throw it to WR who will have man coverage. When teams play off the line, we will run our offense. It will be similar to what we ran last year, but different in some respects. We will most certainly make opposing defenses play us different than in the past. Wouldn't surprise me to see us throw it 15-20 times a game.

Said he was comfortable that we had two good QB, four RB and four WR returning who coaches feel really good about. With regards to recruits, we tried to sign the best players, students and family oriented kids possible. Said we want to get longer (taller with greater reach) in our recruiting. Said that we will sign kids who are say 6'4", 240 with 5 star skills who can run 4.9. Bigger schools pass on that kid to get a bigger player with same skill set. In two years of training, that kid will be 6'4", 285 and still run 4.9, and have the 5 star skills and more maturity to be a player. Said on National Signing Day we offered 33 kids scholarships for the 2017 class.

Said we still have two scholarships open. One reason is just in case one of those good players who have graduated from another school, but still have a year left to play, wants to come to GS. Always a few kids out there who do that and go to other schools.

Said the defense will significantly change in scheme and style. We will be a four down front, but it will often look like three down. Said we would run the three down look a lot because that's what many teams are going to and our offense needs to see that look a lot to prepare for the season. Expect us to to aggressive and fast to the ball. Summers is a defensive guy. He has coached virtually all of the position groups in his career, so he understands defense. Excited to have Constantini on board, since they have worked together so much in the past.

Spoke about his coaching staff and touched on each one. Basically said he wanted coaches who could recruit (Georgia), develop young men into football players but also valuable members of society (grades, family, etc.). He wanted to hire guys who have been there (big bowl games and championships) so they will know what it takes to reach team goals. Said since the offense was going to be so QB driven, we were going to recruit athletic QB and develop them into passers. Look for us to sign two QB in every recruiting class down the road. Said he interviewed many guys from SEC and ACC teams to be the QB coach, but the best candidate he interviewed was R. Gillespie. Said he fully understands how to develop the QB position and reminded us that Gillespie coached Jayson Foster the year he won the Walter Peyton Award. As memory serves, Foster's passing efficiency was much better than what we've had the past couple of years.

Mentioned that he is a weight room guy who believes in pushing guys at this time of the year. Indicated that coaches are pushing players very hard right now to find out who wants to follow and who wants to lead. Said he has gotten some looks from a few of our marquis players when he gets on them for not pushing even harder than they think is their best.

Finally he said that our goal as a team was to play in a bowl game on January 1. if that happens, all of the other goals the team set will be met. Summers is all about family, academics and winning football. I like what I heard and can't wait to see the product on the field.

Booster EYES
26th February 2016, 09:36 AM
He hit on all of the right notes for me. I loved the comment about people saying football is a religion, but they don't tithe to it, and that we need money.

garns 4
26th February 2016, 09:57 AM
The "RPO" offense?, the spring game will be very interesting this year. Please don't take this as negative cause I'm not being negative but I posted awhile back, I think our offense will be a hybrid of Valdosta States and Valdosta HS's which only makes sense since our 2 OC's are from there. We might also see the same type of offense that Foster ran the year he won the Payton. But I doubt our RPO will look similar to last years offense. IMO we will be slinging it a lot more.

GSUfanforever
26th February 2016, 09:59 AM
Hopefully when we start winning with this offense people will start jumping on the RPO Speedwagon.

garns 4
26th February 2016, 10:01 AM
Hopefully when we start winning with this offense people will start jumping on the RPO Speedwagon.i like what you did there.

straightshooter
26th February 2016, 10:19 AM
The "RPO" offense?, the spring game will be very interesting this year. Please don't take this as negative cause I'm not being negative but I posted awhile back, I think our offense will be a hybrid of Valdosta States and Valdosta HS's which only makes sense since our 2 OC's are from there. We might also see the same type of offense that Foster ran the year he won the Payton. But I doubt our RPO will look similar to last years offense. IMO we will be slinging it a lot more.

I think he wants us to be "run first," but he did say that plays will be determined by what the defense is doing. If they are playing a standard 3 or 4 man front, we will run it. if they stack the box on us, we will pass it. That is pretty much verbatim what he said. Now....I expect there will be some variables in what we do in those situations too. What the coaches do know is that they've got too much talent at RB not to use them.

Dave.
26th February 2016, 10:47 AM
Hopefully when we start winning with this offense people will start jumping on the RPO Speedwagon.
http://i.imgur.com/VQZdDkS.gif

HAIL SOUTHERN!
26th February 2016, 01:51 PM

They may jump on the RPO Speedwagon, but as long as Summers continues to Take It On the Run they won't be able to Fight This Feeling and will Keep On Loving (It). Our fans will have to Roll With the Changes when defenses stack the box and its Time for (us) to Fly with a quick pass. Things will be a little different, but our team is full of Tough Guys and will Keep Pushin until we're Back on the Road Again to a bowl game.

Klak
26th February 2016, 01:54 PM
They may jump on the RPO Speedwagon, but as long as Summers continues to Take It On the Run they won't be able to Fight This Feeling and will Keep On Loving (It). Our fans will have to Roll With the Changes when defenses stack the box and its Time for (us) to Fly with a quick pass. Things will be a little different, but our team is full of Tough Guys and will Keep Pushin until we're Back on the Road Again to a bowl game.

I give this post a 1980 out of 10.

eaglewraith
26th February 2016, 02:04 PM

2007 was an RPO offense.

garns 4
26th February 2016, 02:57 PM
2007 was an RPO offense.was that Fosters year, with Raja as his main target?, if you say Henton or Chappel I'll vomit(smile).

GSUfanforever
26th February 2016, 03:04 PM
was that Fosters year, with Raja as his main target?, if you say Henton or Chappel I'll vomit(smile).

2007 was Foster's last season with Raja, Mike McIntosh, Tim Camp at WR. That offense was built around Foster, it was great offensive gameplanning.

parr90
26th February 2016, 03:21 PM
Laney is right. CTS did spend most of his time speaking about family and the culture that is Georgia Southern. Attendees got to know a lot about the man that way. During the Q/A session, however, he did get into the nuts and bolts of what we can expect to see. Here are some highights of that:

Will run a gun option offense that is very QB driven. We will throw it more to keep opposing defenses from stacking the box with eight or nine players. Offense will be what he called RPO (run/pass option). When the box is stacked look for us to throw it to WR who will have man coverage. When teams play off the line, we will run our offense. It will be similar to what we ran last year, but different in some respects. We will most certainly make opposing defenses play us different than in the past. Wouldn't surprise me to see us throw it 15-20 times a game.

Said he was comfortable that we had two good QB, four RB and four WR returning who coaches feel really good about. With regards to recruits, we tried to sign the best players, students and family oriented kids possible. Said we want to get longer (taller with greater reach) in our recruiting. Said that we will sign kids who are say 6'4", 240 with 5 star skills who can run 4.9. Bigger schools pass on that kid to get a bigger player with same skill set. In two years of training, that kid will be 6'4", 285 and still run 4.9, and have the 5 star skills and more maturity to be a player. Said on National Signing Day we offered 33 kids scholarships for the 2017 class.

Said we still have two scholarships open. One reason is just in case one of those good players who have graduated from another school, but still have a year left to play, wants to come to GS. Always a few kids out there who do that and go to other schools.

Said the defense will significantly change in scheme and style. We will be a four down front, but it will often look like three down. Said we would run the three down look a lot because that's what many teams are going to and our offense needs to see that look a lot to prepare for the season. Expect us to to aggressive and fast to the ball. Summers is a defensive guy. He has coached virtually all of the position groups in his career, so he understands defense. Excited to have Constantini on board, since they have worked together so much in the past.

Spoke about his coaching staff and touched on each one. Basically said he wanted coaches who could recruit (Georgia), develop young men into football players but also valuable members of society (grades, family, etc.). He wanted to hire guys who have been there (big bowl games and championships) so they will know what it takes to reach team goals. Said since the offense was going to be so QB driven, we were going to recruit athletic QB and develop them into passers. Look for us to sign two QB in every recruiting class down the road. Said he interviewed many guys from SEC and ACC teams to be the QB coach, but the best candidate he interviewed was R. Gillespie. Said he fully understands how to develop the QB position and reminded us that Gillespie coached Jayson Foster the year he won the Walter Peyton Award. As memory serves, Foster's passing efficiency was much better than what we've had the past couple of years.

Mentioned that he is a weight room guy who believes in pushing guys at this time of the year. Indicated that coaches are pushing players very hard right now to find out who wants to follow and who wants to lead. Said he has gotten some looks from a few of our marquis players when he gets on them for not pushing even harder than they think is their best.

Finally he said that our goal as a team was to play in a bowl game on January 1. if that happens, all of the other goals the team set will be met. Summers is all about family, academics and winning football. I like what I heard and can't wait to see the product on the field.

Spoke to him about recruiting some. I love the fact that he looks at, like you were saying about a 6'4 240 guy with the skill of a 4 or 5 star that gets passed over for the same guy but bigger. I have said this forever and with the right guy at the helm he can get these guys to GS.

GSUEYES
26th February 2016, 03:31 PM

Ok....how long did it take you to come with this?

A. You researched for while... which would be funny

or

B. You knew them all by heart ...which says something else all together

:cool:

HAIL SOUTHERN!
26th February 2016, 03:36 PM
Ok....how long did it take you to come with this?

A. You researched for while... which would be funny

or

B. You knew them all by heart ...which says something else all together

:cool:

REO, Journey and Foreigner were looped on our 5 disc CD changer at home growing up.

GSUEYES
26th February 2016, 04:00 PM
REO, Journey and Foreigner were looped on our 5 disc CD changer at home growing up.

Sounds like a good upbringing

HAIL SOUTHERN!
26th February 2016, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a good upbringing

Made house cleaning days more bearable with those 4 foot tall AR's blasting.

boroeagle2
26th February 2016, 04:39 PM
I freaking hate Foreigner, it's weird because I grew up listening to mostly the same stuff, and I like REO and Journey a lot, but have never been able to tolerate Foreigner.

HAIL SOUTHERN!
26th February 2016, 04:56 PM
I freaking hate Foreigner, it's weird because I grew up listening to mostly the same stuff, and I like REO and Journey a lot, but have never been able to tolerate Foreigner.

You don't like Foreigner? Man, You're as Cold as Ice. In high school, I was a Dirty White Boy and told a chick I was Waiting for a Girl Like You. I thought she'd start playing Head Games, but she just said "I Want to Know What Love Is" and we proceeded to get Hot Blooded. Things were getting heavy, she exclaimed It Feels Like the First Time but then I started to get Double Vision and had to get rushed off to Urgent care. It was a Blue Morning, Blue Day after that, if you know what I mean.

Juke Box Hero

GSUEYES
26th February 2016, 05:03 PM
Well...there you go again...

RR

garns 4
26th February 2016, 05:36 PM
2007 was Foster's last season with Raja, Mike McIntosh, Tim Camp at WR. That offense was built around Foster, it was great offensive gameplanning.yes, I can live with this.

EaglesFlyFBS
26th February 2016, 05:58 PM
You don't like Foreigner? Man, You're as Cold as Ice. In high school, I was a Dirty White Boy and told a chick I was Waiting for a Girl Like You. I thought she'd start playing Head Games, but she just said "I Want to Know What Love Is" and we proceeded to get Hot Blooded. Things were getting heavy, she exclaimed It Feels Like the First Time but then I started to get Double Vision and had to get rushed off to Urgent care. It was a Blue Morning, Blue Day after that, if you know what I mean.

Juke Box Hero

^This post is freakin EPIC... The offense will likely be rooted in our t/o but with the Dean Galespy influence for sure. My concern is that for the next 2 or 3 years we will be tested in every game to throw the ball no matter the production. I hope they get some blood out of turnips.

eaglewraith
26th February 2016, 11:44 PM
2007 was Foster's last season with Raja, Mike McIntosh, Tim Camp at WR. That offense was built around Foster, it was great offensive gameplanning.

More importantly it was built around the skillsets of the players we had at the time and what they could be successful executing.

Foster/Lewis split around 3000 yards rushing and our WR corps had over 1000 yards receiving. We were pretty dynamic on offense.

BillyBob
27th February 2016, 12:44 PM
He wants to throw the ball more...

Why didn't Fritz think of that? :)

half-n-half
27th February 2016, 01:13 PM
He wants to throw the ball more...

Why didn't Fritz think of that? :)

It would technically be Ruse, but that's a very good question. Teams were giving us the short passes/WR screens for most of the year and we never took it. We probably could have just dumped the ball to the RB's in the flats for 150 yards a game. Hopefully we will have more passes in the playbook this year than just "go deep".

garns 4
27th February 2016, 01:33 PM
It would technically be Ruse, but that's a very good question. Teams were giving us the short passes/WR screens for most of the year and we never took it. We probably could have just dumped the ball to the RB's in the flats for 150 yards a game. Hopefully we will have more passes in the playbook this year than just "go deep".you guys got short memories, I remember a number of short passes throw in the flats and it was a chore, under thrown, overthrown, rarely lead the back, threw it at his feet, nor can we forget the one starter who tended to drop about everything thrown his way. Let's hope both KE4 and FAV13's passing skills improve over the off season or increased flinging it could get old quick. I'm expecting our 2 new OC's can help our QB's have a much improved completion n percentage.

half-n-half
27th February 2016, 02:49 PM
you guys got short memories, I remember a number of short passes throw in the flats and it was a chore, under thrown, overthrown, rarely lead the back, threw it at his feet, nor can we forget the one starter who tended to drop about everything thrown his way. Let's hope both KE4 and FAV13's passing skills improve over the off season or increased flinging it could get old quick. I'm expecting our 2 new OC's can help our QB's have a much improved completion n percentage.

We definitely had a tough time completing the short passes as well. But there are a lot of things we can do in the passing game with "simple passes" that we didn't do last year. I've already said I don't expect Upshaw or Ellison to get much better in their individual passing, but I could easily see us being better in the overall passing game by going with a better strategy/gameplan. Like I've said before just adding in RB and WR screens to the gameplan and making BJ the focal point of the passing game could more than double our production from last year.

If Gillespie and Hatcher were able to turn Foster into a 64% passer as a senior then I think Gillespie and Dean can do atleast close to that with Ellison and/or Upshaw.

garns 4
28th February 2016, 07:12 AM
We definitely had a tough time completing the short passes as well. But there are a lot of things we can do in the passing game with "simple passes" that we didn't do last year. I've already said I don't expect Upshaw or Ellison to get much better in their individual passing, but I could easily see us being better in the overall passing game by going with a better strategy/gameplan. Like I've said before just adding in RB and WR screens to the gameplan and making BJ the focal point of the passing game could more than double our production from last year.

If Gillespie and Hatcher were able to turn Foster into a 64% passer as a senior then I think Gillespie and Dean can do atleast close to that with Ellison and/or Upshaw.If this new offense is going to be leaning more to a passing attack they better or the famous question will appear, "why in the heck arnt we running the ball"(smile).