PDA

View Full Version : ios 11 and Forum Runner

bfteagle
20th September 2017, 04:15 PM
If you updated to ios 11 Forum Runner will no longer work. Looks like those of us who were using it need to make other plans.

Dave.
20th September 2017, 04:24 PM
If you updated to ios 11 Forum Runner will no longer work. Looks like those of us who were using it need to make other plans.

It wouldn't work on 10 for actually replying either. At one point, Paul had mentioned he was looking into other alternatives.

cannonballgsu
20th September 2017, 04:47 PM
Yeah, that's why I became so scarce on the board...no forum runner...

GATAlac El Dorado
20th September 2017, 05:44 PM
I'm a technological troglodyte, so forgive me . . . . but what is forum runner?

Dave.
20th September 2017, 08:53 PM
I'm a technological troglodyte, so forgive me . . . . but what is forum runner?

Any app that makes using sites like this one a little easier on the phone.

eagle95
21st September 2017, 12:42 AM

Just updated to iOS 11 and found the same issue. The ForumRunner app didn’t open at all. It used to work for read only purposes and wouldn’t allow me to post anything. Now it won’t work at all. Bummer!

GATAlac El Dorado
21st September 2017, 06:29 AM
I guess I'm just going commando when I use the site from my phone without a helper app?

boroeagle2
21st September 2017, 07:53 AM
I guess I'm just going commando when I use the site from my phone without a helper app?
I'm right there with you, I always just use a mobile browser, and I even go in desktop mode so that I can utilize the "new posts" function. Never have liked the mobile version of the site, and never really saw the need for the App.

eagle95
21st September 2017, 08:03 AM
I'm right there with you, I always just use a mobile browser, and I even go in desktop mode so that I can utilize the "new posts" function. Never have liked the mobile version of the site, and never really saw the need for the App.

I liked the app ok when it worked fully. Wasn’t the best platform but functional. I sure hope Paul can find something different to use.

eaglewraith
21st September 2017, 09:12 AM
iOS11 is 64 bit and all apps were notified ahead of time to update. Forum Runner hasn't been updated in years (since like 2014 I think) and is still 32 bit so it is incompatible with iOS11.

eaglewraith
21st September 2017, 09:13 AM
I liked the app ok when it worked fully. Wasn’t the best platform but functional. I sure hope Paul can find something different to use.

He had mentioned TapaTalk at one point, but there was a security issue he wasn't ready to accept at the time. No idea if that has been corrected yet.

PowerEagle
21st September 2017, 09:21 AM
I've been using Forum Runner for years, and for the past year just haven't posted except for when I can get to my iPad or desktop. I also don't know how to switch back to the mobile browser on my phone, it's stuck in desktop mode.

eagle95
21st September 2017, 05:40 PM
I submitted feedback to ForumRunner today and this was their response .....

Hello,

We are aware of the issue with iOS 11. At this time we do not have an ETA for an update. Once we do, we will make an announcement.

All the best,
Wayne Luke
Technical Support Lead
vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Forum Runner - Internet Brands

cannonballgsu
21st September 2017, 09:22 PM
The last version update was four years ago...

eaglewraith
21st September 2017, 10:16 PM
I submitted feedback to ForumRunner today and this was their response .....

Hello,

We are aware of the issue with iOS 11. At this time we do not have an ETA for an update. Once we do, we will make an announcement.

All the best,
Wayne Luke
Technical Support Lead
vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Forum Runner - Internet Brands

Pfft.

They haven't updated since before the iPhone 6 came out because it wasn't optimized for the larger screens.

GATAlac El Dorado
22nd September 2017, 11:13 AM
What exactly are the conveniences that these apps add?

I guess I'm just viewing the full desktop site? I'm pretty used to navigating that on my phone, although in many cases the buttons are incredibly small.

PowerEagle
22nd September 2017, 11:22 AM
What exactly are the conveniences that these apps add?

I guess I'm just viewing the full desktop site? I'm pretty used to navigating that on my phone, although in many cases the buttons are incredibly small.

Forum runner was an incredibly easy to navigate display, very simple in design, and made viewing the forum on a mobile phone very easy. I was sad when I could no longer post on it, and I'm sure my # of posts went down, but now I'm extra sad that it doesn't work at all.

Dave.
22nd September 2017, 03:30 PM
Forum runner was an incredibly easy to navigate display, very simple in design, and made viewing the forum on a mobile phone very easy. I was sad when I could no longer post on it, and I'm sure my # of posts went down, but now I'm extra sad that it doesn't work at all.

Pretty much this

southern edumacation
29th September 2017, 04:13 PM
Pretty much this

It's stopped working on Android since the board maintenance a few days back when E22 updated the forum code. Good thing is the mobile version of the site is still pretty easy to use.

Dave.
29th September 2017, 07:45 PM
It's stopped working on Android since the board maintenance a few days back when E22 updated the forum code. Good thing is the mobile version of the site is still pretty easy to use.

Literally my only issue with the mobile version is I can't mark all as read after viewing new posts. That's not an E22 issue, it's just something that tends to happen on vb.

eagle95
4th October 2017, 09:15 AM
Paul,

Have you given any more thought to using a different platform since ForumRunner's app is now useless for the iOS community?