PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ad

Booster EYES
24th September 2017, 08:53 PM
I am getting an inappropriate ad at the top of the page. I keep closing it and reporting it to Google as inappropriate, but it keeps returning. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Eagle22
24th September 2017, 08:57 PM
Need you to do a screen capture and email it to me.

(Or describe it best you can in a PM)

Google serves ads based on browser history for the most part .... right now I'm getting served a Green Egg advertisement ....

There are a number of categories that I have blocked on the publisher side.

Booster EYES
24th September 2017, 10:07 PM
I will screen cap it when it comes up again.

Rad
25th September 2017, 02:35 AM
I will screen cap it when it comes up again.

And, probably needless to say run a virus scan, and it would be a good idea to download malwarebytes free edition and run that, too.

Booster EYES
25th September 2017, 07:27 AM
And, probably needless to say run a virus scan, and it would be a good idea to download malwarebytes free edition and run that, too.

I have all that handled. The ad has not come up this morning. There are frequently things that come up that have nothing to do with my browsing history. An ad for Savannah Country Day came up and I certainly have not looked for anything to do with that place. as well as Days Inn in Maine and Pennsylvania.

GATAlac El Dorado
25th September 2017, 08:03 AM
I have all that handled. The ad has not come up this morning. There are frequently things that come up that have nothing to do with my browsing history. An ad for Savannah Country Day came up and I certainly have not looked for anything to do with that place. as well as Days Inn in Maine and Pennsylvania.

It's pretty amazing how those things work. Probably any reference to private schools in Savannah, even clicking on an article, would probably put you into something like that. Or any search for hotels.

Eagle22
25th September 2017, 09:29 AM

Some ads Google serves are zip code oriented. I frequently get ads from a local university which I attended for my Master's program. I still get served a lot of ads for the UNC MBA program, and it has been over 8 years since I first was doing some research on various MBA programs.

I can't explain the Days Inn ads other than some of the Google ad campaigns are national and they are at times not very relevant.

On the backend of the Google publisher panel I can select/deselect categories. I can tell you I've deselected several based on previous commentary here but there is nothing now that should be even remotely controversial, racy or inappropriate.

Finally, if you use gmail, anything you type in an email will get pulled into their ad serving algorithm.