PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Eagles - June Meeting

eaglebean
19th June 2009, 02:49 PM
On Thursday, June 25th, the monthly luncheon of the Greater Savannah Eagle Club will be held at Johnny Harris Restaurantís banquet facility on Victory Drive in Savannah. Our speaker for this month will be Jeff Koonz, our defensive line coach.

∑ When: Thursday, June 25th at noon

∑ Where: Johnny Harris Restaurant Banquet facility on Victory Drive

∑ Cost: $10, which includes buffet meal, soft drink and tip

Letís have a good crowd show up and get fired up for football.

Booster EYES
19th June 2009, 09:33 PM
Looking forward to it!

Joseph
21st June 2009, 04:57 PM
70% chance i'll be there. Hope so!

sandeagle98
22nd June 2009, 09:27 AM
Now that I live in Statesboro I can finally attend these things. Do I need to prepay or just pay at the door??

loyaleagle
22nd June 2009, 10:25 AM
Now that I live in Statesboro I can finally attend these things. Do I need to prepay or just pay at the door??

It's a buffet and you pay when you get in line. Glad you plan to be there, the more the merrier!

scoobyblue
22nd June 2009, 05:42 PM
Do you need to RSVP or just show up....?

Booster EYES
22nd June 2009, 06:37 PM
Just show up this month. We will probably do RSVP's in August when Coach Hatcher is scheduled.

eaglebean
25th June 2009, 08:51 AM
Don't forget to join us for lunch today and hear Coach Koonz give us the first update on football this summer!

winstoneagle
25th June 2009, 10:31 AM
Post a good recap when ya'll get back.

straightshooter
25th June 2009, 10:50 PM
Not a lot to recap, but Coach K is a really entertaining guy. He's got a wit about him that really warms a crowd. Needless to say, he's ready for some football. Said that the football GPA last semester was 2.56, the highest it's ever been at GSU. When Hatcher got here, it was 2.05.

We hired a new guy to handle academics, and coach K. said he was extremely qualified to do the job. There were about 80 applicants for the job. His wife is a Dr. and she was coming to Statesboro. That might have been the only way we got him. He's that qualified according to the coach.

Good news is that all of the signing class is currently enrolled in the second semester. They're still trying to find their way around. He did comment on the size of the OL kids we signed, as a few are in the 6'4", 6'5" 315 range. He singled out Jake Gambino from Miami as a big, mean dude who wrestles alligators. He meant that too.

As far as returning DL, which he coaches, coach K mentioned Brent Russell and Kerry Bonds, both of whom missed last season with knee injuries. If they come back healthy, it will be a big plus for the DL. Mentioned that Russell might have been the best DL player we had last season, and he was a true freshman. He's still got four years of eligibility. Bonds may have started ahead of Dakota Walker. He was playing that well, but he got hurt as well.

He mentioned that Markeith Wylie was down to around 280, which will improve his quickness in the middle. DE Rod Tinsley is now around 6'4", 275, so look for good things from him.

He also mentioned that Chapple had been in the weight room, and was much stronger. No doubt that he's the QB.

Dan O'Dowd was at the meeting, and was given a nice applause. We'll miss him, and he said that he was an Eagle through and through. Good luck Dan.

Good meeting and good info. Let's get ready for some football!

winstoneagle
28th June 2009, 09:01 AM
That's good to hear about all of the incoming kids. I knew that Johnstone was there along with some others, but didn't realize the entire class was. That will be good for them to get a jumpstart on the academics, plus they can absorb some of the heat now to prepare them for Fall workouts.

I really think Tinsley can be a player for us, and we know what Russell can do. We need to be healthy this year, so I hope Bonds can contribute.

Bleu
29th June 2009, 06:53 AM
Not a lot to recap, but Coach K is a really entertaining guy. He's got a wit about him that really warms a crowd. Needless to say, he's ready for some football. Said that the football GPA last semester was 2.56, the highest it's ever been at GSU. When Hatcher got here, it was 2.05.

We hired a new guy to handle academics, and coach K. said he was extremely qualified to do the job. There were about 80 applicants for the job. His wife is a Dr. and she was coming to Statesboro. That might have been the only way we got him. He's that qualified according to the coach.

Good news is that all of the signing class is currently enrolled in the second semester. They're still trying to find their way around. He did comment on the size of the OL kids we signed, as a few are in the 6'4", 6'5" 315 range. He singled out Jake Gambino from Miami as a big, mean dude who wrestles alligators. He meant that too.

As far as returning DL, which he coaches, coach K mentioned Brent Russell and Kerry Bonds, both of whom missed last season with knee injuries. If they come back healthy, it will be a big plus for the DL. Mentioned that Russell might have been the best DL player we had last season, and he was a true freshman. He's still got four years of eligibility. Bonds may have started ahead of Dakota Walker. He was playing that well, but he got hurt as well.

He mentioned that Markeith Wylie was down to around 280, which will improve his quickness in the middle. DE Rod Tinsley is now around 6'4", 275, so look for good things from him.

He also mentioned that Chapple had been in the weight room, and was much stronger. No doubt that he's the QB.

Dan O'Dowd was at the meeting, and was given a nice applause. We'll miss him, and he said that he was an Eagle through and through. Good luck Dan.

Good meeting and good info. Let's get ready for some football!

You mentioned that 'ALL' of the signing class is currently enrolled in second summer session. I know what the word 'ALL' means but I was wondering if someone knew if in fact that the Valentine kid from N. Mrytle Beach actually made his way to us.

This guy might have been the best signee of this class athletically. I heard some rumblings about him and want to know for sure that he made his way to the 'boro.

straightshooter
29th June 2009, 07:27 AM
My sources say he's at GSU with the rest of his signing class. Koonz said the whole class was there, but someone made the comment that Hatcher said all but one. Not sure who the one might be, but I'm pretty sure that Valentine is in school.

Bleu
29th June 2009, 11:45 AM
I heard from a reliable source that Hatcher confirmed that Valentine is in fact in school. That is good news. If this guy lives up to his potential he could be the star of this signing class.

GSCBBA1987
29th June 2009, 12:45 PM
I heard from a reliable source that Hatcher confirmed that Valentine is in fact in school. That is good news. If this guy lives up to his potential he could be the star of this signing class.

I am counting on him being the best receiver on the team this year if we can give the qb time to find them.

straightshooter
29th June 2009, 01:32 PM
He doesn't have the blazing speed we'd like to have, but he is fast enough. He's got great hands, runs good routes and he's big and physical.

That said, I really think the Copeland kid from Mt. Zion will be the steal of the class. He's fast and a 6'0" he high jumps 7'0." I bet he's got a serious vertical. Every coach I've heard speak or talked with personally has mentioned his name.

eagleskins
29th June 2009, 03:52 PM
Don't forget Barker from Florida. We have some serious talent at wide out this season.