PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Tailgating

gsufanatic
9th August 2019, 07:32 PM
Is there a particular lot that GS folks are meeting for the Gopher game tailgate? Weíre allowed to start at 8:30am and I have a group of 7 making plans to set up early.

1peatfor7
12th August 2019, 06:52 AM
I have not even looked into it yet. Have you been before and can recommend a lot?

BullEagle
12th August 2019, 10:21 AM
I cannot answer your specific question, but for general information about game day/parking you might start here:
https://www.pts.umn.edu/park/gopherfb

Example of one of the parking map links from that site:
https://www.pts.umn.edu/sites/pts.umn.edu/files/campusoverviewmap.pdf

City tailgating policies:
http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/parking/other/parking_tailgating

gsufanatic
12th August 2019, 09:59 PM
My entire family is from there so Iíve been to Minnesota annually but have not gone to TCF Stadium. Tailgated at the old Metrodome several times and saw my first baseball and football games there. Iíve read everything online, just trying to find a good place to ensure we have some green space for tents, etc.

My cousin who is my age is a Gopher but he canít make the game and hasnít gone back in this stadium.

gsufanatic
15th August 2019, 01:04 AM
And on a completely different stream of thought, my parents moved back home to Minnesota for a number of years in 2002 after 30 years away after Vietnam draft while I was still in school. I went up to help with moving and my Dad asked what I wanted to do Sunday before flying back Monday. Just so happened the Falcons were in town and it was Vickís breakthrough overtime win. We got tickets in the end zone 20 rows up in the metro dome for less than I paid for the GS game.

everybody knows my name
10th September 2019, 09:06 AM
As far as I know (I've never been a visiting fan), visiting fans usually either use the McNamara Alumni Center or the State Fair lot. McNamara is right by the stadium while the State Fairgrounds is a few miles away but they run shuttle buses and it's very convenient. You really can't go wrong.

Alternately, you could just get a cab and tell the driver to take you to the Nineties. It's a club where they party on Saturdays. Knowing you guys, I guarantee you'll have fun.

GSURuggerEP
13th September 2019, 09:40 AM
Iíve got a group. Wandering where everyone will be?

1peatfor7
13th September 2019, 05:09 PM
So went by the East River Flats lot. Not sure they'll be open but there are real bathrooms there and a few portapodies. There is more green space than parking and it's literally next to the water. I think it was .8 miles from the stadium driving. Might be shorter walking.

GSUfanforever
14th September 2019, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to say how impressed I was by the gameday experience at Minnesota. Stadium was beautiful, getting in and out was a breeze, great proximity to downtown and I didnít have a single issue with any fans at any point. Iíd love to get them back on the schedule soon.

everybody knows my name
16th September 2019, 08:58 AM
Just wanted to say how impressed I was by the gameday experience at Minnesota. Stadium was beautiful, getting in and out was a breeze, great proximity to downtown and I didnít have a single issue with any fans at any point. Iíd love to get them back on the schedule soon.

Man, I know I"m not the only Minnesota fan who would like to hear more about your experience. We try to be good hosts and it's nice to know what you enjoyed and what you didn't.

The Demoralizer
16th September 2019, 02:43 PM
That was by far the most welcoming, cleanest, easiest, and (outside of the conclusion of the game) probably my favorite away game experience. I felt like I spoke to a ton of people at length about the state of Georgia, Georgia Southern, the outdoors, the weather, everything. I hope we get them back on the schedule, preferably as a home/home. Overall, one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met. Stadium looked great, very clean, more character on the inside than LSU's Tiger Stadium. Only one guy was hammered drunk...he kept dropping his $10 beers and eventually ruined his phone...but at least he apologized profusely and was a happy drunk.

The tailgate scene wasn't what I expected, though. I guess I just assumed everyone got down like we do in the South. Most of the local convenience stores seemed to have a very limited beer selection...like the opposite of a Fast N Easy. Maybe it was just me and I hit the wrong ones.

The thing that threw me for the biggest loop was the Canadians that appeared to be Texans until they talked. Dressed like cowboys, but didn't sound like 'em. Also of note, the amount of young ladies with cut off shirts and no bras. That would never happen in Georgia weather lol.

everybody knows my name
18th September 2019, 09:01 AM
That was by far the most welcoming, cleanest, easiest, and (outside of the conclusion of the game) probably my favorite away game experience. I felt like I spoke to a ton of people at length about the state of Georgia, Georgia Southern, the outdoors, the weather, everything. I hope we get them back on the schedule, preferably as a home/home. Overall, one of the nicest groups of people I've ever met.

This is what I like to hear. I'm glad you visited, and I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.

Stadium looked great, very clean, more character on the inside than LSU's Tiger Stadium.

Probably the first time anyone has ever compared these two stadiums. We're proud of our little stadium. It ain't big, but I think it's first-class.

Only one guy was hammered drunk...he kept dropping his $10 beers and eventually ruined his phone...but at least he apologized profusely and was a happy drunk.

I'm glad, because in my experience nothing ruins a great day of football like having to deal with angry, hostile drunks.

The tailgate scene wasn't what I expected, though. I guess I just assumed everyone got down like we do in the South.

Fun fact: tailgating was invented in Minnesota. Sad fact: we kinda forgot how to do it right when the Gophers and Vikings both moved into the Metrodome in 1982. That place was in downtown Minneapolis and had virtually no parking, so people had to park in the street and in parking ramps. So large-scale tailgating was virtually nonexistent in Minnesota for many years.

Most of the local convenience stores seemed to have a very limited beer selection...like the opposite of a Fast N Easy. Maybe it was just me and I hit the wrong ones.

I have no input for you on this because I don't drink and I don't know squat about shopping for beer or booze.

The thing that threw me for the biggest loop was the Canadians that appeared to be Texans until they talked. Dressed like cowboys, but didn't sound like 'em.

I recently read where someone from the east coast said that Minnesota is like the Texas of the north. I disagree. I think Texas is like hot, dry Minnesota in the South.

Also of note, the amount of young ladies with cut off shirts and no bras. That would never happen in Georgia weather lol.

You were looking at our females, huh?