PDA

View Full Version : RAC parking and RVs

hotbyte
29th June 2009, 06:07 PM
Hello all! Daughter starts at GSU this fall and will be participating in marching band so we are soon-to-be GSU fans :) . Actually, my aunt lived in Statesboro many years and she used to keep me up to speed with the Eagles.

My son is still in high school and marching band so we will be going to his games on Fri nights and then heading to GSU for the home games. We live about midway between Macon and Atlanta so a little over 2-1/2 hr drive.

I'd like to bring our fifth wheel camper and have read a little here about parking campers at RAC. I don't think we'll be trying for an RV spot around the stadium this year. Would we have problems arriving with camper at RAC early, early Sat morning? If needed, I could leave midnight'ish Fri and sleep after we arrive?

Do folks in RVs hang around through Sun? If so, what time on Sun is everyone usually gone by?

Also, any idea what time the Western Carolina game might be? Son has a parade that Sat at 2pm so we couldn't get away until 3pm or so. Would there still be room for camper at RAC that late? With fireworks after game, this sounds like a fun one to attend!

Sorry for long first post! Trying to get all this figured out...

eaglewraith
29th June 2009, 09:47 PM
I thought it was only allowed at the stadium in the LTR spots. I could be wrong though.

And good luck when you do try to get an LTR spot, I believe there's a decent waiting list for them right now.

eaglebean
30th June 2009, 06:21 AM
Welcome aboard! I honestly can't answer the question(s) about the RV parking at the RAC, but if you call (912) 478-5520, I'm sure that they can answer those questions.

Go ahead and get on board with the Eagle Athletic Fund. For $120 a year, you can get started, and if need be, they'll draw the money on a monthly basis.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com//pdf4/387226.pdf?&DB_OEM_ID=18700

gsugt1
30th June 2009, 06:45 AM
Welcome hotbyte ... I am pretty sure it's first come , first server at the RAC. Last year we saw quite a few there on Friday nights and on game day there were more. As Eaglebean suggested I would call the number.

eaglewithabus
30th June 2009, 07:25 AM
you can definitely park your rv at the rac. a lot of folks did it last year and I saw them arrive as early as friday afternoon. I cant remember if any of them stayed through sunday, but some of us spend saturday night back behind the stadium week in and week out. With a successful season, and especially some big home wins, I would think that we may see more and more rvs hitting up the rac lots.

hotbyte
1st July 2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies! Really looking forward to the games.

eaglewithabus, what do you mean by "behind the stadium"? The large/RV tailgate spots?

I had read there was a wait list for them and not being familiar with whole setup is why I mentioned not trying for one of them this year. We're also trying to figure out which games we can make. Wife is a nurse and usually has weekend call every month or so.

hotbyte
1st July 2009, 07:39 PM
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin
This is one of wife's favorite saying! She even has a t-shirt with it :D

ibleedblue
5th July 2009, 01:03 PM
western carolina is a 7pm kickoff.

The_Eagles_Cliff
5th July 2009, 03:34 PM
There are good folks at Parkwood RV Park less than 1 mile from stadium. I don't know much about camping, just thought I'd throw it out as an overnight alternative.http://www.parkwoodrv.com/

hotbyte
6th July 2009, 07:58 AM
There are good folks at Parkwood RV Park less than 1 mile from stadium. I don't know much about camping, just thought I'd throw it out as an overnight alternative.http://www.parkwoodrv.com/

Yes indeed! We camped there for our campus visit weekend, scholarship day and I stayed there while daughter was at SOAR. We were very pleased with with our stays there but was wanting to be "in the mix" of things a little more for football games :)

hotbyte
6th July 2009, 07:58 AM
western carolina is a 7pm kickoff.

Thank you!

RockinEagle
8th July 2009, 11:09 AM
I concur, people were at the RAC last year on Friday and Sat nights. Come on over to Paulson when you get set up, there is always a group of us at Paulson Fri and Sat night.

I would not give up my LTG spot but I will say camping along the pond at the RAC is a pretty nice spot.

gapeach1991
19th July 2009, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the Eagle Family. Tell your daughter to go ahead and start spending time outside to get acclimated to the heat. Our son is a Sophomore Southern Pride Member and loved every minute of last year and is looking forward to this year. RV parking at the stadium is only allowed on the LTR. There is a waiting list for the LTR. We tried to get one this year. Only 1 spot came available for the 10 additional persons that requested them this year. If a spot becomes available then Priority points gets you first pick. The down side to camping is having to stop somewhere and dump before you get back on the road. There are no hook ups or dump stations on campus.

GATA eagles.

hotbyte
19th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for reply GAPEACH1991. What does your son play? Daughter plays trombone and her boyfriend, also starting GSU and joining band, plays sax. Look forward to meeting you and welcome any other Southern Pride parent advice you might have.

No worry on the dumping the tanks...I can do that at home. After July 4th weekend, I bypassed campground dump station with 6 or 7 RVs backed up waiting and headed out gates toward home. That was nice :D

GSUfanforever
19th July 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm in Southern Pride, also. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Welcome to the GSU family!

KJ Eagle
20th July 2009, 08:43 AM
speaking of dumping tanks... does anyone that has an RV know of a close (and free) dump site heading back North to Atlanta? I have always used the one at the rest stop near Dublin, but heard that one was closed now.

Any ideas? Thanks.

hotbyte
20th July 2009, 09:21 AM
speaking of dumping tanks... does anyone that has an RV know of a close (and free) dump site heading back North to Atlanta? I have always used the one at the rest stop near Dublin, but heard that one was closed now.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I think the Flying J at Exit 201 on I-75 does. Might have to buy some gas/fuel to use it. High Falls State Park on 1 exit south of #201 is only about 1 mile of interstate. Not sure if they would allow you to dump tanks for free or small fee.

The Dublin rest stop has re-opened but don't know if the dump station has.

gaforrest
31st July 2009, 06:50 PM
we've tailgated at the rac w/ our rv for several years now, 1st come 1st serve and we stay through sunday. you cant miss us, we're the ones w/ the 2 large flag poles at each end of canopy, stop by...

hotbyte
2nd August 2009, 11:15 AM
Look forward to seeing you gaforrest!

gaforrest
7th August 2009, 03:43 PM
and you to hotbyte. usually me and the wife <both southern alum> and the pa in law tailgate, we good enuff folks we reckon..lol.. we plan on arriving friday evening and makin a weekend of it, southern style...

hotbyte
8th August 2009, 08:26 AM
Took daugher down to GSU yesterday for early move-in and band camp. First time for us doing that and it was an exciting & sad time.

I stopped at both rest areas on I-16. They are open but, unfortunately, both have big closed signs blocking the dump stations.