PDA

View Full Version : Hot sauces

scoobyblue
21st August 2009, 02:50 PM
Reading the thread on brats and the use of Tabasco got me to thinking ...

I just about grew up on basic Tabasco (even went to Avery Island many moons ago to see how it was made) and love it, but don't buy it any more because I really like El Yucateco chile habernero sauce.
It's cheaper than Tabasco, you can get it just about anywhere and while it's hotter than hell it has a really good flavor.

At any rate, I'm one of those guys who has about four different bottles in the cabinet at any given time and I put it on everything except frosted flakes, basically. I've also tried a bunch of different kinds. Some Louisiana stuff, some Mexican stuff, etc. But I try to stay away from the boutique hot sauces.

Anyway, I'm curious about other good hot sauces out there and what the chefs on this board use.

eagleskins
21st August 2009, 02:55 PM
I love hot sauce, and to me, nothing beats Tabasco. I also like that Asian hot sauce Hirachi.

DrSwampy
21st August 2009, 03:04 PM
In my younger days I'd seek out the hottest hot sauce I could find. Nowadays, with a bit more wear and tear on the internal system, I find I have to be a bit more selective about what I put in it. Thus, I've come to like Crystal Hot Sauce -- a more manageable level of heat, but still a nice pepper flavor.

gatadotcom
21st August 2009, 05:20 PM
Personally, I like Texas Pete. But I've also purchased some of these from Hot Sauce Harry's for the upcoming season.

http://hotsauceharrys.com/store/georgiasoutherneagles.html

McEagle
21st August 2009, 07:15 PM
Personally, I like Texas Pete. But I've also purchased some of these from Hot Sauce Harry's for the upcoming season.

http://hotsauceharrys.com/store/georgiasoutherneagles.html

I use Tabasco but only a few drops so the heat doesn't overshadow the flavor. I use Texas Pete also, good flavor and not too much heat.
It gives me a little problem that TEXAS Pete is made in North Carolina.

eaglefan04
21st August 2009, 10:33 PM
I love hot sauce, and to me, nothing beats Tabasco. I also like that Asian hot sauce Hirachi.

That Hirachi stuff is no joke! Best is on pizza, found that out one night when I was hammered and eating pizza. Really gives it a different taste.

I like tabasco, but only really when I just want to make something spicy. When I want taste and kick, I use texas pete, tapatio, and frank's hot sauce.

Best absolute is to mix texas pete and bleu cheese dressing.

GSCBBA1987
21st August 2009, 10:48 PM
I use Tabasco but only a few drops so the heat doesn't overshadow the flavor. I use Texas Pete also, good flavor and not too much heat.
It gives me a little problem that TEXAS Pete is made in North Carolina.

That is what I like about TX Pete.

eagleskins
21st August 2009, 10:53 PM
That Hirachi stuff is no joke! Best is on pizza, found that out one night when I was hammered and eating pizza. Really gives it a different taste.

I like tabasco, but only really when I just want to make something spicy. When I want taste and kick, I use texas pete, tapatio, and frank's hot sauce.

Best absolute is to mix texas pete and bleu cheese dressing.

I'm a little different. I absolutely love the taste of Tabasco. I could put it on ice cream.

Anyone had the Jim Beam Hot Sauce? Not crazy hot, but tastes like Bourbon, which is always good.

http://www.justsauce.co.uk/images/jimbeamhot.jpg

HiFlyinEagle
21st August 2009, 11:07 PM
I visited donk's house recently and picked a few of his fresh jalapeno peppers straight from the plants and I have never tasted such a hot pepper in my life. I still have several of them stored in my fridge if any of you want to try one of them on gameday. :)

eagleskins
21st August 2009, 11:45 PM
I visited donk's house recently and picked a few of his fresh jalapeno peppers straight from the plants and I have never tasted such a hot pepper in my life. I still have several of them stored in my fridge if any of you want to try one of them on gameday. :)

You ever had Scotch Bonnets or Habenero's? Both 1000X hotter than a Jap.

eaglefan04
22nd August 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm a little different. I absolutely love the taste of Tabasco. I could put it on ice cream.

I've got a buddy like that. He won't even look at a hot sauce that isn't tabasco. He says that texas pete and other "hot" sauces are pretty much just "spicy ketchup". Then again, this guy has an iron gut, the things this guy puts hot sauce on would make the average person puke.

ITEagle
22nd August 2009, 07:32 AM
Personally I like the texas fire water. Picked up a bottle on my last trip out to Texas and man is it good. It is made from blending of Cayenne and Habanero Peppers.

Top one on the page here. http://www.trulytexasfoods.com/mustards.html

Skins...if you think Habanero's are hot...jump on a dorset naga or a naga jolokia!

JDC325
22nd August 2009, 10:11 AM
That little bottle of Tabasco sauce in the MRE's while I was in the Army was a life saver! Made everything so much more tolerable. I have a devout loyalty to Tobasco for that!

Steeleagle
22nd August 2009, 10:20 AM
I love hot sauce and have many bottles in my cabinet. One of my favorites is Marie Sharpe's Belizean Heat. It is very hot, but unlike many habenero sauces it has wonderful flavor. My two favorite are made by Dave Pepper Palace in Spring Texas. They are Head Rush (Green and Red). Tabasco has too much vinegar for me. Frank's Red Hot is good (the original buffalo wing sauce).

eaglebean
23rd August 2009, 09:45 AM
I'll put in a shameless plug for one of my clients: mohotta.com

They've got a huge inventory of hot sauces and gift packs. Check 'em out, tell them I sent ya!

GSUEoghan
23rd August 2009, 09:51 AM
I gotta say that I've become a fan of Cholula recently. I make my own chili paste, but it's more of a Thai flavor than anything else. I also made a mix of chili, cayenne, and actual wasabi horseradish. Light full mouth burn with an added nasal kick...good stuff.

feardaeagle
23rd August 2009, 12:09 PM
Wasabi is dangerous.Also one called insanity sauce..both bring tears.

SwampEagle
23rd August 2009, 02:45 PM
Satan's Blood. It's oil crushed out of a habanero seed.

scoobyblue
24th August 2009, 01:01 PM

I would probably rank Tabasco as the overall No. 1 of hot sauces, though I haven't bought a bottle in many years.

Hirachi -- I think that's the stuff that comes in a sqeeze bottle with a rooster on the front?

I had a bottle of that stuff and I think my wife threw it away. :mad:

scoobyblue
24th August 2009, 01:02 PM
In my younger days I'd seek out the hottest hot sauce I could find. Nowadays, with a bit more wear and tear on the internal system, I find I have to be a bit more selective about what I put in it. Thus, I've come to like Crystal Hot Sauce -- a more manageable level of heat, but still a nice pepper flavor.

Crystals is good hot sauce. I'm also fond of Trappey's and Mexican stuff called Bufalo.

HAIL SOUTHERN!
24th August 2009, 01:28 PM
Hirachi -- I think that's the stuff that comes in a sqeeze bottle with a rooster on the front?

I had a bottle of that stuff and I think my wife threw it away. :mad:

No, you're talking about Sriracha, which is my favorite.
http://photos.mlive.com/photos/kalamazoogazette/dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

scoobyblue
24th August 2009, 01:35 PM
No, you're talking about Sriracha, which is my favorite.
http://photos.mlive.com/photos/kalamazoogazette/dd5f0e939d83933572f924737d017758.jpg

Yep. That's the stuff. I liked it ... don't know why wife threw it out, except she was on a fridgerator cleaning jag.

loyaleagle
24th August 2009, 01:36 PM
Not a sauce, but several times recently I've heard ghost peppers mentioned on Travel Channel shows, I think both Man vs. Food and Bizarre Foods. They say they are the hottest peppers on the planet; anybody ever had any experience with them?

blueballs
24th August 2009, 03:42 PM
Wasabi is dangerous.Also one called insanity sauce..both bring tears.

The scene in the first Jackass movie where Steve-O snorts wasabi is one of my all time favorite movie scenes.

Scorned Woman was pretty good stuff as far as hot sauces go... worked great on pork.